Software safe to download

There’s a lot of free downloadable software out there, but some of it comes with a hidden price like pop-ups. What kind of free software would you recommend to other people and what should one stay away from?

Shareware and freeware sometimes come with alot of spyware loaded ito them. (They get paid from the spyware people to include it.)

Generally, GPL or opensource software is safe. Try a trusted source like sourceforge.net.

[quote=“bobl”]Shareware and freeware sometimes come with alot of spyware loaded ito them. (They get paid from the spyware people to include it.)

Generally, GPL or opensource software is safe. Try a trusted source like sourceforge.net.[/quote]

I’ve downloaded a couple of things recently and although my pc is working, there is something different about it. Every now and then I get one of those ads and the resolution seems different. When I scroll, the screen shivers.

How can I get rid of the spyware?

You can try Spybot S&D and Adaware. Sometimes it will remove it, but on some the only way to get rid of it is to reinstall Windows. (Not what you wanted to hear I know.)
Good Luck

[quote=“bobl”]You can try Spybot S&D and Adaware. Sometimes it will remove it, but on some the only way to get rid of it is to reinstall Windows. (Not what you wanted to hear I know.)
Good Luck[/quote]

Is it something I can download or do I have to buy it?

I forgot to say also if your using Internet Explorer you might be better off trying Mozilla Firefox as your browser. It is more secure than IE and may help prevent future infections. Microsoft Outbreak, oops, I mean Outlook
has poor security also.

You can download both, try a google search.

Latest pop-up:

SPYSPOTTER

Spyware or Adware may be damaging your computer. If you have downloaded music or …
Click OK to scan your PC now.

Never trust a pop-up telling you to remove spyware. They will plant more on it if you follow the link.
Just close the window.

I did install it, but I quickly uninstalled it again. I checked my downloads and found it and another one called Active Alerts. Active Alerts is still there. Should I remove it too?

You can get ad-aware free from here: lavasoft.com/ . I guess it’s the personal version you want. Ad-aware is very reputable, there’s another thread about some anti-spyware that is not.

I doing what you told me to now. It’s found lots already.

The last two on the list are:
Window Security CenterAntivirusDisableNotify
Window Security CenterFireWallDisableNotify

What’s up?

This thread has some good software on it, including Spybot, Ad-aware and Firefox.

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=43032

When I find a tempting program, especially one that’s free, I search for user reviews by going to a search engine and entering terms like “nameofprogram spyware”, “nameofprogram adware” and “nameofprogram sucks”. If there is a web site for the program, I will also look for the FAQ and see if there is a good explanation of why a free program is free. Only after doing a good check-up will I download and install the program.

Thanks to all for the advice you’ve given me.

Today I received this email which I found interesting:

[quote]YESTERDAY YOU DOWNLOADED SPYSPOTTER.

Have you run a scan on your computer today? We recommend you SCAN DAILY.
SpySpotter can help you remove Spyware and Adware which can harm your computer.

• "Spyware is reaching epidemic proportions infecting an estimated 80% of all Internet-connected computers

[quote=“Rinkals”]Today I received this email which I found interesting:

[quote]YESTERDAY YOU DOWNLOADED SPYSPOTTER.

Have you run a scan on your computer today? We recommend you SCAN DAILY.
SpySpotter can help you remove Spyware and Adware which can harm your computer.

• "Spyware is reaching epidemic proportions infecting an estimated 80% of all Internet-connected computers

Seconded. That is spam. Any software advertised by spam is likely to be spyware. There are several “anti-spyware” programmes that are spyware themselves.

Yes, that’s how I feel too. When I started this thread, the software was offered to me. So, I guess, it was just trying to prevent it’s erradication.