Solar Eclipse 2017

I’m ready. :sunglasses: :sun_with_face: :waxing_gibbous_moon: :first_quarter_moon: :waxing_crescent_moon: :new_moon: :waning_crescent_moon: :last_quarter_moon: :waning_gibbous_moon: :sun_with_face:

Who else is watching?

Monday Eclipse …

Only 60% coverage in Texas. Im bummed. I was hoping for a 5-min break from this intense sun.

Wait you can only see it in the US right? Am I wrong? Please someone tell me I’m wrong. I’ve only ever seen one. I’d love to see another one.

66% here in upstate NY. But kinda cloudy. :frowning:

Boo.

Hate to admit it, but unless you’re in the path of the total eclipse, truthfully at this juncture I can think of very few things more underwhelming than this event. Sigh.

1 Like

Where I am here in Oregon, I was directly in the totality path. We got to watch the whole enchilada from an observation platform (public, so totally free) on a hill with a 50-mile (or so) view in every direction. The platform, surprisingly, wasn’t even that crowded. All the media reports about huge mobs and overburdened infrastructure were pretty overblown.

The totality lasted just under two minutes, and it was freakin’ awesome. The corona was so bright that it seemed like an annular eclipse, and I was almost afraid to look at it with my naked eyes. And because the horizon was so far away, the light coming from beyond the moon’s shadow created an effect like a 360 degree sunset (just after the sun has gone below the horizon). That may have been the coolest part.

I also really enjoyed the subtle changes in light playing out over the rural landscape immediately before and after totality. The quality of the light was something I’d never seen before, a little like really bright moonlight, but with the landscape much more visible. The animal behavior was interesting too. Birds flying around in circles not knowing where to go, and cows lying down in the fields thinking it was bedtime. Interestingly, none of the dogs people brought with them showed any reaction at all.

All in all, not an experience I’ll soon forget.

3 Likes

Underwhelming in Toronto Canada.
Mostly still sunny, but the background daylight turned an eerie colour which was cool

solar

2 Likes

Okay, you win this time, Mrs. McBraggerson. If I’m still alive April 8, 2024, we’ll see who gets the final laugh then.

“The sun thinks the world revolves around it,” Trump said. “Sad.”

2 Likes

If I’d wanted bragging rights, I would’ve booked a trip on the Royal Caribbean Total Eclipse Cruise, where Bonnie Tyler performed “Total Eclipse of the Heart.” :sunglasses:

https://www.facebook.com/pleatedjeans/videos/1498125270249298/

1 Like

Not only that, but it’s perhaps the most impressive thing a president has ever done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmPWJlzRVfs

:sunglasses:

That country has problems.

…As do every other country on earth. What’s your point, sister.

1 Like

True, better say these people in particular do have problems…in the head!

It seems originally someone actually posted that using sun block for the eclipse was a good idea. In true form, like the recharging the cellphones in the microwave, someone actually went out and did it.

We look up to you guys. People do stuff because you guys do stuff. Yet they label science as fake news and agree with celebrities that say colon irrigation is good, vaccines are bad. And so it becomes a trend all over the world…