Solar System 2009 poster and activity

Hi everyone, my first post here.

I just wanted to get some feedback on what the teachers amongst you here think about this idea:

Over CNY I finished producing a poster on the solar system which is upto date. It is 236 cm wide x 83 cm high (laminated) showing the eight planets and the five named dwarf planets. The Sun and planets are to scale and are actual satellite images. Also I have included all the major moons and a couple of asteroids and comets. It also comes with an A3 sized factsheet to put up on the wall next to it. If I do say so myself, it looks kick-ass and I have searched the net and can’t find anything quite like it.

I have also produced an activity based on the poster. I have included instructions and a factsheet. Basically, the students (kindy and grades 1-6)can cut out the planets etc from A1 sheets (whilst learning all the new names of the dwarf planets etc) and make their own upto date wallchart of our solar system.

I am looking at pricing the poster at around 1500 NT and the activity at around 1000 NT.
What I really want to know is do you think your school would go for something like this?

Thanks in advance.

How about the distances between them?

From a pure language-learning perspective, there’s not much point in teaching the names of dwarf planets to kids, as even adults are unlikely to ever need such vocabulary. I suppose you could teach stuff like “A first, then B, followed by C, etc” though.

I’m personally all in favour of teaching this kind of stuff for its own sake. It’s a brilliant idea. But just for fun, illustrate the distances between them instead of making it look like the Earth is just a few planet-widths away from Mars.

I have no idea whether schools would buy it, as I don’t teach kids. I guess some might,

[quote=“Loretta”]
From a pure language-learning perspective, there’s not much point in teaching the names of dwarf planets to kids, as even adults are unlikely to ever need such vocabulary. I suppose you could teach stuff like “A first, then B, followed by C, etc” though.[/quote]

Colours, ordinal numbers, comparative and superlative sentences, preps of place, all sorts of adjectives. I used to have something similar when I did elementary school.

It’s quite a motivating topic for some students, too.

It’s quite expensive, though and they had similar stuff in Tiny Tots, if that’s still there.

Good luck, though.

How about the distances between them?[/quote]Well, obviously not :unamused:

Thanks for some input guys.

Didn’t think I would find an airplane hangar sized classroom so didn’t scale the distances between planets, lol.

I agree about the price being a tad expensive so after re-working I am now going to market the activity at 850 NT$ and the poster at 1200 NT$.
The price for the poster will include having the school (bookstore whatever) name and/or logo across the top.

I’m hitting the road in Taichung next week so will post on how it goes.

Cheers.