Solar Wrist Watches

I’m about ready to give up on my Seiko self-winding mechanical watches. I got two (because I thought I’d lost one, replaced it and then found it again) and while initially pleased with them, they both keep poor time and have required frequent and expensive repair.

My 39NT Daiso digital backup watch is OK but the battery is likely to conk out at an inconvenient moment, so I thought a solar-powered replacement might be an optimal replacement. For example, Casio do a digital at around 1000NT, analogues with sweep hands run a bit more, but I havn’t really surveyed the market. Seiko probably do them too but I’m pretty negative about them now.

Anyone got any experience/recommendations of/for solar-powered watches?

I like this kind.

[quote=“Ducked”]I’m about ready to give up on my Seiko self-winding mechanical watches. I got two (because I thought I’d lost one, replaced it and then found it again) and while initially pleased with them, they both keep poor time and have required frequent and expensive repair.

My 39NT Daiso digital backup watch is OK but the battery is likely to conk out at an inconvenient moment, so I thought a solar-powered replacement might be an optimal replacement. For example, Casio do a digital at around 1000NT, analogues with sweep hands run a bit more, but I havn’t really surveyed the market. Seiko probably do them too but I’m pretty negative about them now.

Anyone got any experience/recommendations of/for solar-powered watches?[/quote]

Now that I have ridden out my inappropriate weeks ban, for accusing someones mother of self fornication with various objects, I can once again offer my sterling advice and wisdon.

Casio make a range of solar powered watches called “Tough Solar” throughout their range. Citizen as well, called “Eco Drive”.
They are quartz, so the timekeeping is good.

Seiko do not.

But, if you want something decent, NT 1 000, is not going to cut it.

I own various models of both as well as high end Seiko automatics. Automatics in general do not keep good time. Losing or gaining a minute or two a day is the norm, but the more expensive ones with better movements are more accurate.

There are plenty on the Taiwanese Yahoo auction site.
If you go to a shop they will always knock 40% or so off list. So do not think “too expensive” until you asked them the cost.

Just got a watch marked NT 25K for 15K at a local shop. Why they mark it 25K in the first place is a matter for further debate.

Casio make a range of solar powered watches called “Tough Solar” throughout their range. Citizen as well, called “Eco Drive”.
They are quartz, so the timekeeping is good.

Seiko do not.

But, if you want something decent, NT 1 000, is not going to cut it.

[/quote]

Yeh, the 1000NT Casio was a “Tough Solar”, presumably the bottom of the range.

I never know what people mean by “decent” in this kind of context, but I expect basic functionality from a known-brand product, whatever the price, and with the Seiko’s (also presumably bottom of the range, I think they were about 5K each) I didn’t get it. I forget to mention that when I bought the replacement I also got my gf one, which has also needed an expensive just-out-of-warranty repair. I checked out the movement on watch-watcher websites and it was well spoken of, but three (multiple) strikes is out in my view, and I’d be reluctant to buy ANY Seiko model in the future.

i’ve had a citizen eco for at least 8 years & it’s great. i’d definatly get another.

People still use watches? Now that cell phones are ubiquitous, I thought that watches were relegated to museums. Learn something new everyday.

cheers,
DB

Think your best bet would be a tough solar G Shock. They last forever.

Have a Casio tough solar, a 2nd hand one from Ebay, was 30 Euro, new one would have been 110 Euro. Rechargeable battery seems to be a bit worn, so in winter it will often go to sleep mode (hands show wrong time!) and even lose all settings. Especially during the dark midday lunch sleep hour. Was told in watch forums you should put it under a desk lamp 5min per day and that would help. It really solves the problem but also got the acrylic glass deformed, as the lamp was a bit too low :laughing:
Battery problems after 1-3 years seem to be common with Casio solar.

Thought about Seiko Kinetic, where the movement charges the battery, but found on watch forums they would have problems to charge properly when getting a bit older.
Thinking about a Citizen Eco Drive now, esp. after what the poster above said about having one w/o problems.

Currently I have an ORIENT mechanical automatic, gains only 1-10 sec per day, but is a big and heavy piece of machinery. Gives me a tennis arm wearing it. Just got the same one from Amazon.com again, this time in blue (maybe that helps).

Okay, guess I be going for a Citizen Eco drive now and call myself a watch collector… :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s what I wear. Cost around 15k. It connects to satellites so you can’t even set the time yourself. It’s just automatically the exact time. It feels good knowing I have a water/dust/temperature proof watch on that always has the exact perfect time. Love it. It’s my first expensive watch in my lifetime…and it might be my last. That’s worth the extra money in my opinion.

Awesome, right. Wearable technology has made our life completely changed as compared to old days. Now these devices can monitor our health and fitness level and also inform us before the time of illness and any kind of attach which takes place in our body. In the bustle of everyday life, everyone wants to control time. For the first time, the watch rafiqsonsonline(.)com/product-category/seiko/ mechanism on the strap was invented in 1868 and was more a decoration for the girls of that time than a useful device. Modern watches can tell about their owner, about his wealth and about the situation in society. Anyways, thanks for sharing the nice piece of stuff with us.

Er… You know this is a 5yo thread, right?

Probably time I updated it then.

I got a fairly small and simple Citizen Eco-drive in Tokyo for…er…can’t remember, sorry, but I’d guess pretty close to the bottom of the range, and its been fine.

E101 500667 4N1030949 on the back 4WIW

Maintains accurate enough time long term and hasn’t stopped when dropped on hard surfaces, like in the shower.