Sold my MC, Had Enough Close Calls

I’ve had my motorcycle for just over two years. I’ve put my heart and soul (and money) into that puppy this whole time. I brought it back from the brink of the junkyard and almost completely restored it to its original glory.

Two weeks ago I sold it.

Although I love riding, it’s just not worth it anymore. It was an ideal highway/mountain bike so I used my scooter around town and mostly drove my bike on the highways between cities and a few out of town areas where there were more roads than cars with little or no annoying taffic lights.

Not anymore. I’ve just had too many close calls from selfish, ignorant “me first” drivers not caring if their no-look, four-lane U-turns on open highways stopped traffic or not. I refuse to become a victim of these fools. Only to have them say “I’m sorry” after they send me spilling down the road from their selfish “driving” habits.

On the other hand, I admit that I was no angel on these roads. MCs are built for speed and I took advantage of that when it was possible. But after five years in this country, I finally realised it is a no-win situation. I have the kind of luck that will one day put me in the hospital or worse. And even worse than that is burdening friends and family with possible hosptial bills or getting the body home.

I can’t get the image out of my head of that popular expat/talkshow host who was driven off the road a few years ago and is now a near vegetable in a Taipei hospital. His once promising and lucrative career suddenly over and his family wondering how they’re gonna pay the bills.

I certainly don’t want to be Mr. Doom & Gloom here. If you’re a motorcycle rider for more than a couple years in Taiwan, then you’re probably careful when you have to be, carefree and a speedfreak when you can get away with it. I had two good years cruising all over this island on my trusted steed and don’t regret a minute of it.

But with Taiwan’s roads riddled with idiots who think it’s a much better idea to cut off a MC rider at full speed rather than let them pass safely, I would rather hang up the helmet than take my chances.

Good post Wonder.

Stay safe.

What kind of bike did you have?

Musta been a hard decision Wonder. Hope you find that open road glory again, some day soon!

[quote=“wonder”]I’ve had my motorcycle for just over two years. I’ve put my heart and soul (and money) into that puppy this whole time. I brought it back from the brink of the junkyard and almost completely restored it to its original glory.

Two weeks ago I sold it.

Although I love riding, it’s just not worth it anymore. It was an ideal highway/mountain bike so I used my scooter around town and mostly drove my bike on the highways between cities and a few out of town areas where there were more roads than cars with little or no annoying taffic lights.

Not anymore. I’ve just had too many close calls from selfish, ignorant “me first” drivers not caring if their no-look, four-lane U-turns on open highways stopped traffic or not. I refuse to become a victim of these fools. Only to have them say “I’m sorry” after they send me spilling down the road from their selfish “driving” habits.

On the other hand, I admit that I was no angel on these roads. MCs are built for speed and I took advantage of that when it was possible. But after five years in this country, I finally realised it is a no-win situation. I have the kind of luck that will one day put me in the hospital or worse. And even worse than that is burdening friends and family with possible hosptial bills or getting the body home.

I can’t get the image out of my head of that popular expat/talkshow host who was driven off the road a few years ago and is now a near vegetable in a Taipei hospital. His once promising and lucrative career suddenly over and his family wondering how they’re gonna pay the bills.

I certainly don’t want to be Mr. Doom & Gloom here. If you’re a motorcycle rider for more than a couple years in Taiwan, then you’re probably careful when you have to be, carefree and a speedfreak when you can get away with it. I had two good years cruising all over this island on my trusted steed and don’t regret a minute of it.

But with Taiwan’s roads riddled with idiots who think it’s a much better idea to cut off a MC rider at full speed rather than let them pass safely, I would rather hang up the helmet than take my chances.[/quote]

Good post…and in some ways, good decision…I feel the same about riding in Taiwan…If my safety on the roads was mostly in my hands, I would have no problems with riding again…but I learned that there are lots of drivers/riders out on public roads here that just don’t have a clear idea of what safety is and this is the part that I can’t control…sure, this liability exists in every country and in motorcycles more than cars…but having close calls on a daily basis because others weren’t careful is just too much…

Since my accident, I’ve been riding a scooter and driving my car…When I ride the scooter, I take a leisurely pace to get where I’m going and no matter how laid back or passively I approach the ride, those carefree road users always find a way to create dangerous situations (ie: a car popping out of an alley and merging without looking)…most of the time, those carefree drivers are unaware of the disturbance they’ve caused on the road and leave others to deal with it and just carry on with their task of driving like twats…my frustration isn’t with riding, but with the frequency with which it is possible to get seriously hurt on a daily basis by being on two wheels…it gets tiring and puts a certain stress on life here.

is this the situation you want to avoid by selling your bike?

[url]Drunk driving ex-con almost kills Forumosan in car smash

Cheers

And on the other hand I know guys who have been riding here for 15+ years…doing 270km/hr on roads where the limit is 50 and doing wheelies for kilometes on end. And have never had an accident.

There’s just as much risk riding a bike here as there is in America. And much less than in many countries.

So it’s just a matter of whether you think the pleasure outweighs the risk or not.

This is also why some foreigners are now taking their more extreme riding to the LongTan race track.

I think the main reason I gave it up and wrote the OP is because there is no accountability in this country unless you really know your Mandarin/Taiwanese, or if you are in fact a Taiwanese citizen.

I just put too much cash and hard work into my bike to see it all go to waste because of someone who a) hit me and took off. b) hit me and somehow fidangled their way out of it because of my poor Mandarin. c) I hit someone else trying to avoid a brainless driver and of couse d) I hit someone and it’s my fault.

There is no insurance here compared to back in Canada. So it’s a no win situation no matter what happens if you get into a serious accident. Not to mention all the hospital bills. Perhaps my last reason (d) is the one that almost scrares me the most. Because like I said, I loved the speed and was no angel on the highways.

I was glad to read in the last post there’s people here who have been riding for 10+ years and are still going strong. Good on ya! I hope you have a long and healthy hobby riding ur bikes. I just got spooked one too many times and honestly felt it was an omen. I realised my mortality, so to speak and have never felt that way until recently.

I know one day I’ll get back in the saddle because I love it. I’m just glad to take a break and sell 'er in one piece to someone who appreciated it.

By the way, it was just a Kwang Yang Custom Kymco 150. Nothing high-end. But after I re-chromed everything and painted it black, got a new license plate and kept it shiny and running smooth, it was a looker and a speeder. I had old TW guys circling around the bike sometimes going “mmmmm…” and “ohh…” because you just don’t see those bikes restored. Most of them are modified for hauling couchess and fridges or scaffolding.

Actually been driving a car here for last 8 years and have seen a mc accident nearly at least once a week, so totally understand your decision to quit out ‘beloved’ traffic. Yet with the high prices, I was actually thinking of going back on a two-wheeler…but an electric one–to be ‘green’ :slight_smile:

Would you suggest that, since the speed of an electric bike should be slow enough to be relatively safe?

Thanks in advance for sharing your views.

:stuck_out_tongue:

i have had 3 accidents in motorcycle, the 3 of them on the science park of Hsinchu and none of them my fault, always bcz of a car driver that didnt see me or something like that. 2 of those accidents took me to the hospital and they could have been deadly, but i have been very lucky and i have always had a good helmet. the accidents were in a Yamaha majesty, the second one on a FZ 150 and the last one and worst one on a scooter 125cc… after that one o bought a car and i dont know if i want to get a scooter again… i dont think the extra expense in fuel pays the price of me crashing bcz of a stupid driver… in the car if i ever crash at least i will be safe inside !!! unless its a mayor accident with flipping cars and that kind of stuffs jejeje… i think the traffic inside the cities can get very rough sometimes…
now on the mountains or county areas i ride my SV, i have never got any accident on the road, i follow basic rules and helped by some skills i have managed the way to enjoy them on a safe way… there are risks for sure, but as mordeth said, i can trade them for the pleasure of a safe drive without rushing in tight curves like a crazy taiwanese gang boy if u know what i mean…

I sold my cb 400 for the same reason. The last month I had it some weird things were happening around my bike. You know when you drive it and it doesn’t feel right? So I sold it.
I thought of buying an other one after but every time I look at a new bike, the “no no” light lights up in my head.

The next one, will probably be an old motocross converted for the track (SM) and I will leave it there (at the track). Or that little CPI 250SM for mountain driving only.

you know what, that’s also the reason I sold my CB400. After C.Stag’s accident and several others (also heard about one foreigner lost his eye), I was just too chicken to ride in Taiwan…It’s been two years since I sold it and I miss riding bike especially when I see big bike convoy…but wife never been happier…oh wait she’s happier when I quited smoking :slight_smile:

This thread is becoming much different that I expected. (I really didn’t know what to expect). But it seems there are more than a few who have had the same feelings as me, and a couple people who have traded two wheels for four wheels.

But I’m like the last poster, who more or less said there was a strange feeling on or around his bike just before he sold it. Same with me. I ran my bike to the max in several situations where I was lucky to get away with it, too stupid to know otherwise so call it shithouse luck. But just the last few weeks before I decided to sell it, there were red flags in my mind and I just knew it was time to pack it in.

I have heard of more than a few TW girls who will no longer get on a scooter as a driver or a passenger, but never a westerner who has called it quits. Funny thing is, I’ve been here for five years and never considered selling my beloved steed until just recently.

I had two minor accidents with no damage to either my bike or theirs, and two or three very close accidents at high speeds on the highway within the last six weeks. And that’s four more incidents than I had in two years of driving everywhere on this island. So yeah, ya gotta know there’s a big one coming yer way after the warning signs have flashed.

The thing that was getting to me the most was having some brainless fool causually cut me off and send me spilling down the highway or crashing into another car to avoid him. If there was anything I wanted to avoid was letting some dipshit cause the accident that ruined my restored MC and put me in the hospital.

And having them drive away without a scratch or any accountability. Thank heavens I smartened up before that happened.

But hey, at the same time, I don’t want anyone out there to take this as a cue to sell your MC. As long as you don’t have any problems with driving in TW, then go for it. Millions of people drive in this country every day and never have a problem.

Neither did I, until I just couldn’t ignore the red flags anymore.

[quote=“wonder”]I
By the way, it was just a Kwang Yang Custom Kymco 150. Nothing high-end. But after I re-chromed everything and painted it black, got a new license plate and kept it shiny and running smooth, it was a looker and a speeder. I had old TW guys circling around the bike sometimes going “mmmmm…” and “ohh…” because you just don’t see those bikes restored. Most of them are modified for hauling couchess and fridges or scaffolding.[/quote]

Always thought they’d be good machines for the taller furriner, but you don’t see many of them around. High stance, look to have long suspension travel, comfy-looking seat, uniquely (?) sensible combination of front disc and fully enclosed chain, and most of the ones I’ve seen come with a hefty-looking crash bar fitted. The fashion-victim department that brought us the Zing must have been on holiday.

But like you say, not much use if you’re dead, or maybe worse.

I was checking out some vids on youtube and came across one truly horrible vid. A close circuit cameras film of a guy who was riding his motorcycle and cut across an 18 wheeler. The truck knocked him off the motorcycle and the enertia kept the truck going. First he went under one of the front wheels (effectively killing him right there). Then the double wheels of the rear bogey literally squashed his torso. Folllowed by the bogeys of the rear wheels of the trailer completely squashing all remnants of what was once a human body.

VEry disturbing to say the least. And no, I wont post the vid. WAy too disturbing . And this was in TAiwan.

yeah I saw that vid…someone posted here not long ago …

I saw that vid, 100% the biker’s fault. The rider cut in front of the truck from the rightmost scooter lane leaving maybe 2 feet between them and instantly slowing down. Scooters try to kill themselves every day by doing this particular manoeuvre in front of my car. Riding a 50cc scooter with your feet trailing the ground at 20km/h does not make you immune to the laws of physics.

Taiwan desperately needs some real road training. Westerners should know better, unfortunately some of the worst riding I’ve seen has turned out to be an adogah doing left turns from the rightmost lane in rush hour traffic.

It’s not impossible to ride a bike and be safe in Taiwan. I do tens of thousands of kms every year on the expressways and highways and I have learned from my past mistakes. Every time I get on the bike I know I could be killed and ride appropriately. I try to avoid many of the mountain roads that might be fun to ride but where most of the serious big bike accidents have happened. I don’t ride in groups or paired with anyone competitive. Now over two years without even a close call.

Lucky you. :bravo:

I take my boy to school every morning on the back of my bike, (yes, he wears a helmet) and there are so many close calls every day. People coming straight out of the small laneways right in front of you without looking, scooters riding on the wrong side of the road till there is an opening in the traffic and they can cut onto the correct side, (sometimes they don’t wait for openings and just cut straight in front of you expecting you to stop), people going through the red lights. It is just so amazing to see an intersection that has 4 crossing guards wearing bright coloured vests, all holding long poles with flags on and scooters and cars will still try to push past the guards and through the kids on the pedestrian crossings. I am not sure which is more dangerous, riding my boy to school on my bike or letting him walk. These idiots have no respect for anyone.

I really should use my helmet cam more often and make a compilation of near misses in the 1.8km trip from home to my boy’s school. It could go on AXN and be called “Wacked Out Near Misses in Taiwan”.

Oh, I did smash my bike one day. A young girl on a scooter just stopped right in front of me for no reason that I could see and as I hit the brakes I crossed a man hole in the middle of the road and as it was more slippery than the road, my brakes locked up and I slid over. It happend so quick, no chance of saving it. And while me and my boy were lying in the middle of the road and my bike in the gutter, she just road off… Luckily, we both escaped with only a few grazes. A nice old man who carries the gas bottles on the back of his bike stopped and helped us up and off the road… (Yes, there are people who do care for others here, and thank you to all of you).

There are so many near misses like this and eventually you will go down…

I really don’t mind if they want to kill themselves, but they should be more thoughtful and not try to take others with them…

Lucky you. :bravo:

I take my boy to school every morning on the back of my bike, (yes, he wears a helmet) and there are so many close calls every day. People coming straight out of the small laneways right in front of you without looking, scooters riding on the wrong side of the road till there is an opening in the traffic and they can cut onto the correct side, (sometimes they don’t wait for openings and just cut straight in front of you expecting you to stop), people going through the red lights. It is just so amazing to see an intersection that has 4 crossing guards wearing bright coloured vests, all holding long poles with flags on and scooters and cars will still try to push past the guards and through the kids on the pedestrian crossings. I am not sure which is more dangerous, riding my boy to school on my bike or letting him walk. These idiots have no respect for anyone.

I really should use my helmet cam more often and make a compilation of near misses in the 1.8km trip from home to my boy’s school. It could go on AXN and be called “Wacked Out Near Misses in Taiwan”.

Oh, I did smash my bike one day. A young girl on a scooter just stopped right in front of me for no reason that I could see and as I hit the brakes I crossed a man hole in the middle of the road and as it was more slippery than the road, my brakes locked up and I slid over. It happend so quick, no chance of saving it. And while me and my boy were lying in the middle of the road and my bike in the gutter, she just road off… Luckily, we both escaped with only a few grazes. A nice old man who carries the gas bottles on the back of his bike stopped and helped us up and off the road… (Yes, there are people who do care for others here, and thank you to all of you).

There are so many near misses like this and eventually you will go down…

I really don’t mind if they want to kill themselves, but they should be more thoughtful and not try to take others with them…

I’m not going to get judgemental on you for putting a child on a bike, but I honestly don’t understand how you can complain about how dangerous it is to ride here then sit your boy on the back.

Of course I had some close calls and the odd minor accident when I first started riding, but that doesn’t mean you can’t learn from those mistakes and improve your own riding. Most collisions I see involving a car and bike in Taiwan are the bike’s fault. Bikers - including me - often fall into the trap of blaming other road users for everything, when really we should never get ourselves into situations that make accidents possible.

If someone stops suddenly to pull a stupid manoeuvre and I hit them, my fault - I must have been too close or going too fast. If someone pulls out of a blind intersection and I hit them, my fault - I should have slowed down if I couldn’t see what was coming out.

The point is that riding is inherently dangerous, but there are many things we can do to mitigate the danger and create a relatively safe environment for ourselves. Accidents only happen when you rely on other road users to keep your environment safe for you.

You’ll have to clarify this statement. If I’m understanding this correctly, you’ve never had anyone cut you off? Even if you’re the safest, most aware driver in the world, you’ll still get rudely cut off a few times a day in any city or highway in Taiwan. And that’s on a good day.

As TaipeiSean noted, numerous people simply don’t look when entering the main streets from sidestreet and alleys, from behind parked cars or simply joining traffic from the side of the road in clear view. Very few Taiwanese look left over their shoulder and that accounts for most of the close calls.

I had my worst close calls from people who did wide U-turns across four lanes of wide, rural highway and they don’t take the scooter lane into consideration. The front end of their cars always poked into the scooter lane/shoulder as they were doing thier no-look U-turns, making everyone stop suddenly until they finished their inept, dangerous driving. I had it happen in front of me at least twice in two weeks while I was driving 80-90 k/mh on a highway between cities, and I was very familiar with the route.

So to say you’ve never had a close call after two years of driving thousands of km in Taiwan is impossible. I don’t doubt that you are a safe, conscientious driver. It’s the other guy you have no control over.