Solid breakfast buffet?

Just returned from Capone’s Sunday brunch. At just over $1,000 NT for two it is an outstanding value as the food was quite delicious. For some though, the absolutley horrid, near abscence of any semblance of service may outweigh the value of the meal.

The wife and I made reservations for 11AM. As it was our first time visiting, we ended up leaving the house a little early in case it was a bit of a walk from the MRT. (It’s not, it is 3-point shot away from the Sun-Yet Sen exit#2). So we actually got there at 10:30, the time the advert says the doors open up.

Not a thing was ready at 10:30, not even coffee. As I stated before, whether you enjoy your time at the brunch is going to be totally dependent on your personality. Being pretty easy about things, the wife and I just took out the papers and read and waited.

The coffee was ready at 10:50 and the buffet around 11:00. The wife got a sizable, pretty impressive looking omlette and I hit the deli bar. Sharing like we always do, we agreed that both of our choices of food were pretty good. After that we both delved into the adequate salad bar.

By the time we had finished it was probably a little after 11:20. We stacked our four dishes in the center of the table and waited so we could order one of the eight entree’s on the menu. The only other patrons in the place was a table of three sitting next to us.

It was about ten minutes later when a family of three came in at sat behind us that we could flag down any of the wait staff so that we could order the main entree. I ordered the Pan Fried Salmon and my wife chose the Fried Fish Platter.

The waiter left without taking our dishes!!!

Again, this review is unbiased and I am not trying to trash Capone’s. I am just reporting my dining experience. I have been through worse in life than a few dirty dishes. About ten minutes later the hostess had to actually come by and took our dishes. Meanwhile, the wife and went back to our papers and sipped our coffee.

Despite there being just eight people in the restaurant, our order did not come until over forty minutes later. My pan fried salmon with a side of mashed potato was quite good. It was boneless, moist, and had a subtle hint of lemon juice. The juices of which blended into the mashed potato dollup, which was taste I never had before but did enjoy.

I won’t be getting into the Pan Fried Platter until tonight as my wife grew tired of waiting after thirty minutes and just went back to the buffet and decided to get the Platter as a take out.

In the final analysis, the food was good and if you the patience to wait, then Capone’s buffet is an alternative to the 5 star hotels. That and with its nice location, you can take a stroll around Sun Yet Sen Memorial Hall later or even 101 and make a day of it. Bring a book though, as I got through the Taipei Times right around the time the buffet was ready.

I had a chat with the manager that was on duty this Sunday and watched the cctv as well and indeed you are right, if we state we start at 10’30am, we should be ready right that time. Unfortunately seems the waiters did not have their best day (experienced when I went there which was after you left already). Please read your pm box!

Guys, the theread on brunches is reallyyyyyy old. Things move too fast in Taipei. This is the closest I can find to place my question:

Can anyone recommend a nice breakfast buffet where LOTS of cheese are available? Which is cheesier, Hyatt, Far East or any of the Western places, like Wendell or so?

Weekdays, weekends, OK.