Solutions for RSI in little finger?

For a couple of weeks, my right pinky has been aching a bit. Some software I’m using requires frequent presses of the Enter key, and my customary “pretend your laptop is a 1908 Olivetti” typing style is not helping either.

I think maybe I should put the finger in a splint for a while, to force me to use other fingers. Any opinion on this? Any idea where I can get a finger splint? (One of those medical supplies shops near a hospital, I guess, but I haven’t looked yet.)

Wouldn’t an ergonomic keyboard be a better option? Not sure where you can find one though.

would you be using the splint while typing? You could just your two fingers together although the different lengths (of the fingers) makes this inconvenient (based on experience).

Thanks, Abacus. I do have an ergonomic keyboard (you can get the new-ish Microsoft one in Guanghua for a couple of thousand). But this is specifically related to having to use the Enter key a lot, I think.

I’ve figured out a way that I can use the Enter key less–by using a menu instead of a keyboard shortcut. But I still wonder whether I should get a splint on my finger for a while, at least to restrict movement and give the finger a chance to recover, if not to stop me using it altogether.

You might try a wrist strap thingy. It sounds like you’re turning your wrist to the side when you hit enter, which isn’t good. If there’s a bit of resistance it might remind you to move the whole hand over instead.

I don’t think a finger splint is a good idea. It might do more harm than good.

[quote]The Sair Finger

You’ve hurt your finger? Puir wee man!
Your pinkie? Deary me!
Noo, juist you haud it that wey till
I get my specs and see!

My, so it is - and there’s the skelf!
Noo, dinna greet nae mair.
See there - my needle’s gotten’t out!
I’m sure that wasna sair?

And noo, to make it hale the morn,
Put on a wee bit saw,
And tie a Bonnie hankie roun’t
Noo, there na - rin awa’!

Your finger sair ana’? Ye rogue,
You’re only lettin’ on.
Weel, weel, then - see noo, there ye are,
Row’d up the same as John! [/quote]

Joe -

Help is as close as your nearest 7-Eleven.

Popscicle/Ice-cream sticks and white-wrapping tape.

I’ve used this, literally, dozens of time over the years for strained, sprained, broken, bent and cut-up fingers that require local immobilization for healing and rehabilitation.

Works like a charm.

Be well.

(cut to desired length)

Brendon – good call on the wrist thing. I think you’re right that I was twisting the wrist in a weird way to hit Enter. I got myself an actual wrist splint, and it’s working well so far.

Sandman – well, many’s the skelf that my dad got out of my foot/hand with a needle, but you lost me on the last stanza. Rolled up? How and why? And who’s John?

TC – I wish they made curvy popsicles. I don’t think a straight stick would work that well for this particular thing. And I do actually have to keep on using the finger, just not so much and not so aggressively I guess.

That was the first poem I ever learned by heart, back in primary school.

[quote=“Joesox”]Brendon – good call on the wrist thing. I think you’re right that I was twisting the wrist in a weird way to hit Enter. I got myself an actual wrist splint, and it’s working well so far.

Sandman – well, many’s the skelf that my dad got out of my foot/hand with a needle, but you lost me on the last stanza. Rolled up? How and why? And who’s John?

TC – I wish they made curvy popsicles. I don’t think a straight stick would work that well for this particular thing. And I do actually have to keep on using the finger, just not so much and not so aggressively I guess.[/quote]

Maybe another application for the used (bendy?) drinking straw? (But thats what I always say).

It’ll have a bit of give which it sounds like you want. If you need it to hold a shape you could put a plastic coffee stirrer stick inside it and stick it in just-boiled water then bend it while its pliable. Or just insert a bit of wire (in the straw, not your finger)

I am not a doctor.

I changed the thread title as I’m interested in any broader suggestions people have, not just about finger splints.

This thing in my right little finger is basically from using the Enter key too much. And that’s because I’m writing a lot more markup-type stuff now. I constantly use that key to start new lines and bring up lists of elements. Surely other people have had had similar problems? I tried a couple of web searches but didn’t find much.

Has anyone experimented with ways to use the Enter key less? I thought of remapping some keys (not really up for extensive remapping like Programmer Dvorak though!) or even hooking up some kind of USB foot pedal to substitute for the Enter key.

John had the skelf, then his brother turns up, sees the attention John is getting from mother and says ‘My finger is sore too.’ The mother sees there is nothing wrong with it, but gives the younger brother a bandage on his finger too.

(Your finger hurts too? You rogue,)
You’re only lettin’ on.
(There is nothing wrong with it,)
(Aww bless, let me see what I can do,)
Row’d up the same as John!
(There, it’s wrapped in a handkerchief, just like your brother Johns.)

John had the skelf, then his brother turns up, sees the attention John is getting from mother and says ‘My finger is sore too.’ The mother sees there is nothing wrong with it, but gives the younger brother a bandage on his finger too.

You’re only lettin’ on.
(There, it’s wrapped in a handkerchief, just like your brother Johns.)[/quote]
Ah, right, that’s the bit that threw me. Didn’t realize the last stanza was addressed to a different person. I wondered if it was some grim Scottish tale about someone getting a splinter in their finger and it going septic and them ending up in a winding cloth or something. Thanks for clearing that up.

Now, onto coder’s finger and USB footpedals and the like. Don’t suppose you’ve any tips on that?

You’re only lettin’ on.
(There, it’s wrapped in a handkerchief, just like your brother Johns.)[/quote]
Ah, right, that’s the bit that threw me. Didn’t realize the last stanza was addressed to a different person. I wondered if it was some grim Scottish tale about someone getting a splinter in their finger and it going septic and them ending up in a winding cloth or something. Thanks for clearing that up.

Now, onto coder’s finger and USB footpedals and the like. Don’t suppose you’ve any tips on that?[/quote]
Sorry no. Just the poetry appreciation.

Yeah, shift wrist, don’t stretch pinky to type. I think the ideal way to type is like playing the piano, where wrists do not rest anywhere. Wrist should be lower than elbow level, which is lower than most desks will allow i think. Higher chairs? Keyboard drawer?

Just buy another keyboard (as big as possible), take your shoe off at work, and keep your big toe on the enter button. No one can see under the desk anyway. NT$200 and your problem solved. You can even buy those small, number-pad-only ones. If you keep irritating inflammations like that you might get scarring or make healing nearly impossible/recurrence much more likely.

Didn’t the CNY break help?

Thanks for the reminder about posture. I think keeping my wrists at a better angle will help.

The external numeric keyboard is a good idea but I did a quick search and I think something like this will be even better.

I was disappointed to click on this and find something other than an amputation website.

[quote=“Joesox”]Thanks for the reminder about posture. I think keeping my wrists at a better angle will help.

The external numeric keyboard is a good idea but I did a quick search and I think something like this will be even better.[/quote]

Better, sure. But doesn’t it seem like overkill just to press “enter”? More than a thousand NT for one button? Plus your pinky will continue getting worse while waiting for that to ship. Pry the other keys off the keypad if you’re afraid you’ll hit the wrong key, or glue a little platform or square of something to the top of the enter key and it’s practically as good XD