Solutions to “only mommy can hold me; I scream for all others”

You know, I do think she picks up on her grandma’s anxiety and reacts poorly to it. But she really isn’t getting in the way or anything. She’s just kind of a restless and nervous person in general.

It’s not a positive vibe for the baby. Most children, even when they are infants, are highly perceptive…

1 Like

Well that’s unfortunate. Either way, you’ve got to get yourself in that equation for good. I mean, the poor child! :rofl:

My sister-in-law (back in Europe) is an extremely nervous person. She conveyed this to her daughter, who was exactly as the infant you describe - screamed madly if anyone else held her, even the father. I couldn’t work out if this disposition was passed on genetically or environmentally. Suspect the latter.

Eventually the infant became a toddler, and then a pre-schooler. She got more used to other members of the family. But then that nervous behaviour would manifest itself in other ways. Extreme reactions to loud noises (think fake dinosaur growls at a theme park) or events (mini-rollercoasters) that most other kids would find fun.

Looked on from afar, she’s been a nightmare child to have to parent. I don’t know what the solution would’ve been - perhaps a strong interruption of the mother-child bond.

A lot of kids are prone to sensory overload. Certain sounds, smells, tastes, physical sensations, etc can be overwhelming. I remember when I was a little kid I always had an extreme reaction to getting into a hot vehicle. It felt like the heat was fingers crawling all over my face and into my eyes. It made me feel crazy and I remember what it was like to find it incredibly uncomfortable so clearly, but now when I get in a hot vehicle I never feel that way.

So I think she might grow out of that over time. She might have picked it up from her mom, but she could also just have been born a sensitive child. I mean, my mom is super chill but I’m a nervous wreck, so.

Suffice it to say life ain’t easy!

Research has recently shown to suggest that sensory receptors comprise a non-renewable system subject to degradation through use.
That is to say, nerve endings, inner ear receptors, optical rods and cones, and especially OR (scent) cells and taste buds, are at peak effectiveness right out of the box, and begin to deteriorate immediately through use.
The result is that for little kids, bright colours are WAY bright, stinky stuff is REAL stinky, and shit tastes way…more than for older people. This is believed to explain why kids like sweet stuff so fuckin much, because it’s way fuckin sweeter than it is for grownups. Also why they often can’t begin to handle sour things or food or drink that is just medium hot for you or me, and why they like cold drinks so much. Conversely, this is why it’s often the case that the older people get, the more seasoning or flavouring they want on their food, like that one gnarly old uncle who puts Frank’s on fuckin EVERYTHING and eats habaneros like sweet pickles.

Also why some little half-Chinese girls may find the interior of a hot vehicle particularly unbearable.

So there’s very likely actual physical causation for behaviours that getting written off by inattentive adults as just stupid “kid shit”.

1 Like

That’s interesting. I think this is also related to why kids can be such picky eaters. I was very sensitive to food textures when I was little and hated things like beans, which to me just seemed like capsules of grainy mush. Which, well, they are. But now I think they’re okay. After repeated exposure and getting used to/learning to appreciate a variety of foods, I happily eat lots of things now that I remember absolutely despising years ago.

I’ve read before that sweetness is also the first taste we can detect, and the first food we eat (breastmilk) is sweet. And it’s the last taste we are left with as we grow old. That’s why people in nursing homes go mad for dessert — everything else tastes like sand, but they can still enjoy sweets.

1 Like