[SOLVED] BUG? Quotes not working

I’ve come across several posts where it says

[quote author=SomePoster]What they said.[/quote]

And it shows the “quote” tags and doesn’t actually quote.
Bug?

Yeah, that has been reported here:
http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=49541
It’s just temporary, in the aftermath of the software reinstallation. :wink:

[quote=“R. Daneel Olivaw”]I’ve come across several posts where it says

[quote author=SomePoster]What they said.[/quote]

And it shows the “quote” tags and doesn’t actually quote.
Bug?[/quote]
Yep. It’s a bug

Right. Thanks.

Didn’t know it had been reported, but the important thing is that the folks in charge know about it.

[quote=“R. Daneel Olivaw”]Right. Thanks.

Didn’t know it had been reported, but the important thing is that the folks in charge know about it.[/quote]

Do the quotes work for some people and not for others? Goose Egg has Quotes above. I noticed Tigerman had them in another thread. Or is there a trick to it.

Why is my name showing at the bottom? Before it was hidden. Having my name showing down there is like walking around with your fly open and your schlong flapping around.

Where is your name showing? At the bottom of the discussion page, posts or the front forum index?

If you click “Disable HTML in this post” then quotes work fine :idunno:

Don’t see anything. Too small?

:laughing:

[quote=“Richardm”][quote=“R. Daneel Olivaw”]Right. Thanks.

Didn’t know it had been reported, but the important thing is that the folks in charge know about it.[/quote]

Do the quotes work for some people and not for others? Goose Egg has Quotes above. I noticed Tigerman had them in another thread. Or is there a trick to it.[/quote]To make quotes work all the time, the POSTER must check the “Disable HTML in this post” button. I am hoping that Goose Egg can come up with a way to make this the default, as it also fixes the Chinese display problem.

[quote=“joesax”][quote=“Richardm”][quote=“R. Daneel Olivaw”]Right. Thanks.

Do the quotes work for some people and not for others? Goose Egg has Quotes above. I noticed Tigerman had them in another thread. Or is there a trick to it.[/quote]To make quotes work all the time, the POSTER must check the “Disable HTML in this post” button. I am hoping that Goose Egg can come up with a way to make this the default, as it also fixes the Chinese display problem.[/quote]

Hey! You’re right, Joesax!

I would like to take the credit for being a technological whizkid. But it was actually BFM who discovered this.
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 975#554975

[quote=“joesax”]I would like to take the credit for being a technological whizkid. But it was actually BFM who discovered this.
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 975#554975[/quote]
joesax, BFM - thank you for coming up with the solution :notworthy:

Since we do not permit HTML code to be used in posts in the first place, I cannot think of a reason why HTML should be enabled. I’ve disabled it. You will notice that it is no longer an option in the posting form

Let’s see how this works for us

[quote=“Goose Egg”]Since we do not permit HTML code to be used in posts in the first place, I cannot think of a reason why HTML should be enabled. I’ve disabled it. You will notice that it is no longer an option in the posting form

Let’s see how this works for us[/quote]Great stuff. All seems fine to me now.

[quote=“Goose Egg”]joesax, BFM - thank you for coming up with the solution :notworthy: [/quote]I was just standing on the shoulders of Giant Fluffy Matthew :wink:

I think the quote function still has a bug. I sent a pm yesterday and that person replied using the quote function to quote what I had written. I thought he was messing with me because the text was altered. In other words, the quoted bit is missing words and letters.

The same thing today. I quoted someone this time and the capitals are gone as well as some words in the beginning of most sentences. It’s basically NOt quoting the whole text.

Anyone else having this problem?

bobepine

[quote=“bobepine”]I think the quote function still has a bug. I sent a pm yesterday and that person replied using the quote function to quote what I had written. I thought he was messing with me because the text was altered. In other words, the quoted bit is missing words and letters.

The same thing today. I quoted someone this time and the capitals are gone as well as some words in the beginning of most sentences. It’s basically NOt quoting the whole text.

Anyone else having this problem?

bobepine[/quote]
Could it be related to Disabling BBCode in this post? I’m still not very clear about what this quote bug is about

I’ve noticed this too. Seems to affect quotes in PMs only.

The first time I noticed this, I thought that the sender of the PM had just cut bits out of the quoted text to save space or emphasise particular points. It certainly looks like this.

But it has become clear through other PMs that this is actually a bug.

We’re using a new version of the phpBB software, right? So I imagine that this bug will be noticed by other phpBB users at some point. I had a quick look through the topic titles here but didn’t see anything immediately relevant.
phpbb.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=1

Goose Egg, I’ll PM you, enclosing a text passage in quotes and copying the same without quotes. Hopefully the problem will show up.

[quote=“joesax”]I’ve noticed this too. Seems to affect quotes in PMs only.
[/quote]That’s what I’m noticing too. Only PMs.

bobepine

Yes, it’s stripping 1-2 words out of sentences beginning with “I” in PMs:

Original:
Anyway, I’m very pleased…
I hope you’ll let me know…

Returned quote:
Anyway, very pleased …
you’ll let me know…

This problem continues. :frowning: