Some answers about divorce in Taiwan

Why would you not want to divorce her ? She wants a divorce, she doesn’t love you any more, and she is having an affair. I understand that you might want to save your marriage, because you love her- but using Taiwan’s prehistoric family law system as a way to put pressure on her is not going to help anyone.

You are better to just set her free and move on with your life, because from what you have said, you are really unlikely to find your happiness with this woman.[/quote]

She says that she still loves me very much but she also fell in love with that guy…and I am still madly in love with her, even after what happened. I don’t even want to think about other women. It really hurts.[/quote]

Come on, have some self-respect ! This woman is either extremely confused and messed up or is playing you for a fool. Either way, you’re better off without her.

Why would you not want to divorce her ? She wants a divorce, she doesn’t love you any more, and she is having an affair. I understand that you might want to save your marriage, because you love her- but using Taiwan’s prehistoric family law system as a way to put pressure on her is not going to help anyone.

You are better to just set her free and move on with your life, because from what you have said, you are really unlikely to find your happiness with this woman.[/quote]

She says that she still loves me very much but she also fell in love with that guy…and I am still madly in love with her, even after what happened. I don’t even want to think about other women. It really hurts.[/quote]

Come on, have some self-respect ! This woman is either extremely confused and messed up or is playing you for a fool. Either way, you’re better off without her.[/quote]

Are the Skype conversations, emails and videos of sexual nature being considered as adultery in Taiwan? Can I sue that guy? We were married seven years and it is really hard for me to let it go. I have very strong family values and this very much upsets me.

Come on, have some self-respect ! This woman is either extremely confused and messed up or is playing you for a fool. Either way, you’re better off without her.[/quote]

Are the Skype conversations, emails and videos of sexual nature being considered as adultery in Taiwan? Can I sue that guy? We were married seven years and it is really hard for me to let it go. I have very strong family values and this very much upsets me.[/quote]

Are you able to directly prove they had sex?

If not, forget about it.

And why would you want to do it anyway ? Your wife would also be party to the adultery, which if proved is punishable by imprisonment. Threatening to have your wife sent to jail is not really a good way to get a marriage back together, is it ?

In fact it is quite likely that she would react in completely the opposite way, and try to make life even more difficult for you, which the Taiwanese tend to be very good at …

How about see a marriage counselor. Sometimes marriages can be made good again.

[quote=“pgdaddy1”]And why would you want to do it anyway ? Your wife would also be party to the adultery, which if proved is punishable by imprisonment. Threatening to have your wife sent to jail is not really a good way to get a marriage back together, is it ?

In fact it is quite likely that she would react in completely the opposite way, and try to make life even more difficult for you, which the Taiwanese tend to be very good at …[/quote]
On the other hand, if you don’t want to get back together with her (I wouldn’t, if she’s been smoking another sausage) there’s not much she can do in the slammer, and you win. Then again, it might depend on your visa status. You could use it as leverage though. :idunno:

The damage to this marriage is done.

I would still consider movin on.

First of all, several months apart? That would not be normal, a married couple should be together, and I would treat that as a warning signal.

Secondly, getting yourself into a legal battle in Taiwan? Not worth the trouble, and you will end up divorced anyways in the end.

The best you can do is to go se eher and plead with her in order to give your marriage another chance. Short of that, a divorce, where you make sure that the agreement sees you getting most of the assets, if any.

Once that is completed, you move on.

Greetings,

I have a quick question without going into all the details. My Taiwanese wife and I recently divorced after 10 years of marriage. I returned to the states in 2011 to help with family issues for 1 year. During that time she asked for a divorce. With out details I assumed it was a distance issue and worked and saved to return to Taiwan. After returning I discovered the reason for the divorce request. Multiple affairs, abortion, just crazyiness. As they say “When the cats away the mice will play”

After a few months trying to be understanding and work through it I gave up and agreed to the divorce. I have custody of our two kids and she has no obligation emotionally or financially to the kids or family. Which made it easy to get the divorce done. However, financially I am at ends. School, cram school, food and necessities are required. I am financially capable with these but it is very tight.

Even being polite and ask for some assistance is met with disdain. " You wanted the kids you have to pay" " Dont ask me for money".Blah, Blah, Blah…

My question is this…Now that the divorce is final is there any recourse to implement a child support claim against her? Without jeopardizing the current agreement? The kids dont ask about her, they dont miss her. Heck we lived in the US for more than a year and the only mention of their mother was when I brought up her birthday or mothers day. We have been well established as a family without her. But their are expenses and I feel it wrong for her to get off scott free with no worries. Living with her mother, paying not bills. etc. etc. While we have to scratch to get by.

If I was a gambling man I would say it is doomed. She has low interest level in you. She wouldn’t have told you about the other guy either and would have kept you as a kind of option should it have failed with the new guy. But you would have just been a stop gap until the next one comes along.
You will be away for months. How the hell could you trust her? She ‘promised’. That is like putting a starving cat in a room with a mouse. The inevitable will happen.
She has no respect for you.
Walk away.

To get a sense women and infidelity, check out Michelle Langley’s books - Women’s infidelity - they can be downloaded for free if you search for them.
womensinfidelity.com/
Here is a breakdown:

[quote]Women’s relationships today follow
a very predictable pattern:

They push men for commitment

They get what they want

They lose interest in sex

They become attracted to someone else

They start cheating

They become angry and resentful

They begin telling their partners that they need time apart and start pushing for a separation

They blame their partners for their behavior...and eventually, after a long time of vacillating back and forth and several failed attempts to give up their affairs, they end their relationships or marriages.          

If you’re a man, like most men, you would probably never suspect that your wife is cheating, not only because of your wife’s seeming disinterest in sex; but also because you have the belief that your wife is a “good girl.” Unfortunately, men are frequently divorced by their wives without ever knowing about their wives’ affairs and infidelities.

If you’re a woman, like most women, prior to cheating on your husband you always proclaimed yourself to be “not the type” who would ever cheat. However, also like most women, after they have cheated, you’re shocked and appalled by your behavior; but at the same time you can’t stop cheating. [/quote]

Also check out Doclove when you get your new life sorted out.
askmen.com/dating/doclove/

My Taiwanese wife and I were married in Australia and had the marriage ratified in Taiwan. Can I seek a divorce in Australia and have it applicable in Taiwan?

My wife is not disposed toward a mutual agreement of dissolution.

I’m a retired American expat of modest means married to a Taiwanese woman of significant, but carefully concealed, wealth. If I calculate correctly, I will be eligible for an APRC in July this year.

While I’m not sure divorce is the best approach for me (or her,) I do believe she desperately wants a divorce.

My current thinking is in regard to item 7 in the list of ‘grounds.’ I do believe my wife suffers from serious mental illness (I have some relevant background in this area.) But, other than divorce, what can I do to establish (or refute) my view? My wife, will absolutely not agree to a psychiatric exam. She is very volatile and has been violent in the past; not towards me, but towards her elderly mother who lives with us. My wife bashed her mother over the head with a shoe, raising a rather large lump.

(In consultation with a local psychologist, I decided to wait and see if the violence recurred but it did not.)

But my wife can be dangerous through seeming completely indifferent to physical and emotional pain and suffering she inflicts on other people. Example: when I first came to Taiwan, one of her two daughters created a list of the two items I cannot eat. Peanuts and gogi berries. My wife ‘decided’ that cooking gogi berries makes them OK, so she proceeded to cook them in food, remove the actual berries, and feed that to me without my knowledge. After seven months of struggle with serious diarrhea, she made a mistake and left some gogi berries in a bowl of soup and when I saw them I declined to eat it. That was when she finally told me that cooking them made them OK. I insisted she stop serving them to me and my diarrhea stopped. Her reaction to learning what she had put me through was to stare at me with a blank look.

As her husband, do I have any possible power to compel her to undergo a psychiatric evaluation? And if she is found to be seriously mentally ill, what can I then do (besides divorcing her?)

One of my wife’s closest friends called me and warned me that my wife is testing me (she endlessly suspects me of infidelity and is rather clumsy with her tests.) I replied that I was aware of her tests.

Another person who knows her well told me my wife can be very generous and can be incredibly cruel to other people. As indeed she can be.

What you describe is extremely common in Taiwan. I’ve met literally dozens of people (mostly women) with the personality disorder you describe. I’m convinced it has something to do with the education system and dysfunctional parenting style, but that’s by-the-by. My point is, because this is so common, it will most likely not be considered a serious mental illness, either by a doctor or by the courts.

However, you say your wife wants a divorce. In that case, the solution is easy: ask her for a divorce. An uncontested divorce simply involves turning up at the household registration office and signing a piece of paper … much like getting married.

I’m somewhat confused by your assertion that divorce may not be the best option. If someone is abusing you and is psychologically incapable of stopping, you need to walk away. You don’t owe this person anything; you’re her husband, not her shrink, her servant, or her guardian angel. Get your APRC lined up, and spend some time “disconnecting” - you may not realise it, but after years of playing head games with your wife, you probably need to put yourself back together too.

Love your Gore Vidal sig., btw :slight_smile:

This works for some couples but not for all, but there are some excellent bilingual counselors at the Community Services Center. Even if they cannot help the both of you to live better together or help your wife to behave better, at least they can help you get through this situation.

My wife adamantly refuses any kind of counseling or couples therapy.

Perhaps the best approach is to let her want a divorce and see what it’s worth to her to compensate me for screwing up my life.

(I’m already dealing with putting myself back together, thanks for thinking of it.)

Joschka

Did you and your wife sign any agreement regarding matrimonial property?

[quote=“Global Property Guide - Taiwan”]Taiwanese matrimonial property regimes apply to couples whose marriages are recognized as valid in Taiwan.

Under Taiwan’s laws, a married couple can sign a contract agreeing to either a [color=#FF0040]Community Property Regime[/color] or a [color=#8000FF]Separate Property Regime[/color]. [color=#0000FF]In the absence of such an agreement, the couple’s property will be subject to the Statutory Regime[/color].

Under the [color=#FF0040]Community Property Regime[/color], “separate property” is limited to: gifts designated by the donor as separate property, property essential to the husband or wife’s occupation, and property earmarked for exclusive personal use of the husband or wife.

With the exception of “separate property”, all of the couple’s property and income is “common property” and owned by the couple in common. The husband or wife must have the consent of the other to dispose of common property.

Under the [color=#8000FF]Separate Property Regime[/color], husband and wife each retain and manage their own property as “separate property”. Each has the right to exclusively manage, use, depose of and receive profits from his or her own property.

Under the [color=#0000FF]Statutory Property Regime[/color], property separately owned by the husband or wife prior to marriage is “premarital property”, and will remain under the sole ownership and control of the respective husband or wife. Proceeds from such premarital property (such as interest or rent income) accumulated during the marriage, and all property acquired in the marriage, are “marital property”, and are owned by the couple jointly.

Marital property in relation to inheritance is subject to the rules on “Reserved Portions”[/quote]

We did not sign any agreements.

A big question arises concerning Taiwan property and income, non-Taiwan property and income and exactly what constitutes income.

Premarital property that is sold: is the income jointly owned or must one estimate only gains in value during the marriage?

My wife has a lot of property and much of it is concealed in one way or another. I think I need a lawyer.

If you are under statutory property regime, you will not get a penny. That said, unless she has emptied your bank account on a regular basis, I at least on a moral basis would not go for anything, if I read you correct, you married recently, and what she brought in, she brought in. Make sure that your property is not brought into the equation as well.

If you want out, then go for that, and forget the money. As she seems a little over the top, I would worry about what she would do if she perceived an attack on her nest egg.

But again, stay married and get your APRC - with as little help from her has possible. Once you got that, move out, stay away, and take it from there. And again again again, talk to a laywer, but do not expect any windfall from your marriage.

And - if she is on the prowl for “evidence” that you have an affair, I would think that she wants rid of you too, however she probably wants to add to her concealed wealth and ruin your life as much as possible while she is at it.

I am a foreign man living in Taiwan. Been here for many years. Married to a Taiwanese woman for number of years. We were married overseas, but I don’t believe the marriage was ever registered here in Taiwan. (I don’t wish to ask my wife about this at the moment, for personal reasons). So, I would be grateful if anyone can tell me if we are still able to get a divorce in Taiwan. This would probably be by mutual consent. (By the way, I have always been working here on an ARC. I never applied for the marriage visa). One further question, is there any way I can find out if the marriage is registered here without needing to ask my wife? Thank you in advance for any help.

Household registration office. Bring your ARC and your wife’s name in Chinese and her ID no. You should have that.She will not need to be contacted by them.

Hi. I met my wife in Sydney while she was on her ex Partner visa. She wanted to get married in Taiwan so we went there. While we were doing all paperwork process was not expained to me. I think we got married under her name. For the celebration I paid half but her parents got all the money from the guest. We got back in Sydney she got pregnant and insisted to have the baby in Taiwan . In 8 month time I have sent her 15 k. We have a baby boy she got visa under my name. She came back to Sydney and we started arguing where all the money gone. Than she started stealing money from me. I had no access to her banking while she had all from mine. One day she went to Taiwan without telling me and took my gorgeous baby boy. She been there for 2 months , let me see my boy only once and she doesn’t talk to me. Gave her 1 month ultimatum to come back but she didn’t. Not I am withdrawing her visa. What’s my rights in Taiwan as foriner to take custody of my son or have visits granted?