Some Downloadable Previous JHS-Level English Exams

This page appears to contain downloadable copies of previous Haishan High School (新北市立海山高級中學) (New Taipei City) junior high school* 段考 (duan4 kao3, mid-terms?) exams, including English exams, from 2004 (some missing) through 2010: 163.20.146.1/%E5%AD%B8%E6%A0%A1% … %A1%8C.htm

This page appears to have a search function (in Chinese) for some kind of source of junior high 段考 exams, including English exams: 192.192.169.235:8080/otc/opencms … Search.jsp

*This high school has junior high grades.

Thanks Charlie!

You’re welcome! I put it in Temp because I wasn’t sure whether anybody would find it useful.

I think it’s already been mentioned on the board that in learning English here, there’s a nice-sized leap from elementary to junior high. I think a fair number of kids have trouble making that leap, even if they’ve attended English cram school. To me, coming up with some kind of strategy to help them prepare looks like an intimidating job of work. But I’d at least like to get some idea of what they’re up against.

I think some people are contemptuous of teaching that focuses on tests, and I can understand that. On the other hand, in this field, at least here in Taiwan, I think there’s a pretty good deal of [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/know-the-difference-between-esl-and-efl-come-on-people/53888/19 tomthorne summed up with the acronym ENAP (English for No Apparent Purpose)[/url]. If there’s no other virtue in trying to help people pass tests, at least it gives English learning an apparent purpose.

I’m not arguing a case for it or anything, but I think it would be kind of a good feeling to have some sort of goal. However, I’m not sure I’m up for the amount of work that it might involve.

Interesting.

This usage of “besides” is probably my most hated feature of Taiwanese English. I see and hear this constantly. Same goes for “moreover.”

This usage of “besides” is probably my most hated feature of Taiwanese English. I see and hear this constantly. Same goes for “moreover.”[/quote]
:ponder: Isn’t this example OK for “besides”? You’re right that it’s often misused in Taiwan, but in this question it does seem to provide the “because part 2” function that “besides” should have. “She’s a good English learner. Example one. Besides, example two.” That’s fine, isn’t it?

Unless I’m totally off on the whole thing.

I would recommend “Besides this,” or “In addition” here, whereas “besides” and “moreover” (another problem word for Chinese speakers) have a different connotation. IMO, of course. That sentence screams at me and I’d change it in anything I edited, but maybe I’m way off base and it’s not grammatically incorrect.

Here’s a man after my own heart, found this while trying to substantiate myself: :thumbsup:

taiwanonymous.blogspot.com/2008/ … es-in.html

I think “Besides” to start a clause should only be used when forwarding some kind of argument. This is just a set of declarative sentences.

The block quote below is from the website of the National Academy for Educational Research, which is the same outfit that provides the searchable database linked to in the first post of this thread:

[quote]Introduction

1. Establish and manage [color=#000080]Taiwan Assessment of Student Achievement (TASA)[/color]
  2. Develop tests questions and establish examination databanks on teacher qualification examinations
  3. Research and develop educational related tests on multiple assessment modules
  4. Evaluate and research on statistics and [color=#000080]tests of TASA[/color]
  5. Research and evaluate teacher qualification examinations results
  6. Plan the [color=#000080]tests related to TASA[/color], reserve and train personnel to develop tests questions
  7. Research and develop the assessment tools, digital techniques, standardized testing instruments, computerized adaptive testing
  8. Establish long-term standardized assessment tools for domestic tests evaluation
  9. Set up domestic [color=#000080]assessment tools for five major subjects (K-12)[/color], quality control, identify levels of students in beneficial to supplementary education
  10. Develop assessment tools for the mentally disadvantaged and highly intelligent students[/quote] (Emphasis added.) naer.edu.tw/editor_model/u_e … sp?id=1416

I wonder if this group is directly involved in producing the regular tests for the public schools.

[quote=“odysseyandoracle”]Interesting.

This usage of “besides” is probably my most hated feature of Taiwanese English. I see and hear this constantly. Same goes for “moreover.”[/quote]

Yeah, it’s intensely annoying! I think it’s because Taiwanese English tends to be a too-literal translation of Chinese; in this case, “而” or “而且”, which is used a lot more often in spoken Chinese, in places where an English speaker might just use “and” or a pause/comma.

That was sort of my point - in this case there is, barely, an argument: that the sister is a good English learner. The English novels and English songs are further evidence of this. I don’t particularly like the sentence, but the “besides” does seem to work. It’s definitely a step up from the typical “I like living in Taipei. Besides, Kending is pretty too” that I usually get from students.

[quote=“Charlie Jack”]You’re welcome! I put it in Temp because I wasn’t sure whether anybody would find it useful.

I’m not arguing a case for it or anything, but I think it would be kind of a good feeling to have some sort of goal. However, I’m not sure I’m up for the amount of work that it might involve.[/quote]

Thanks. Definitely doesn’t belong in temp. Tom Thorne is right as usual. I’m gonna plonk these tests down on the desks of some of my students who think English class is an inconvenient interruption to their math and Chinese homework.

[quote=“Charlie Phillips”][quote=“Charlie Jack”]You’re welcome! I put it in Temp because I wasn’t sure whether anybody would find it useful.

I’m not arguing a case for it or anything, but I think it would be kind of a good feeling to have some sort of goal. However, I’m not sure I’m up for the amount of work that it might involve.[/quote]

Thanks. Definitely doesn’t belong in temp. Tom Thorne is right as usual. I’m gonna plonk these tests down on the desks of some of my students who think English class is an inconvenient interruption to their math and Chinese homework.[/quote]

You’re welcome. And yeah, it’s kind of an eye-opener, or it should be, if the kids get an idea of what junior high English is like.