Some Good Western Restaurants in Taitung

I was stopped at a roadblock in Dulan after being assured by people living there less than 30 minutes earlier that they never do roadblocks in Dulan. Just north of the police station, coming from the north crossing the bridge north of town.

Ha ha that always happens. Dulan dudes are always like, “No problem man! You’ll be fine!”

is that certain substances doing the talking?

Usually just beer and sunstroke doing the talking. :slight_smile:

I went there today for the second time, the first time having been 2 or 3 years ago, when I had what I remember as a really good burger and a few great local beers.

Turns out that the menu has now changed and they only had Mexican dishes, and quite a small number at that, none of which really seemed appealing (to me, but then I’m not the biggest fan of Mexican food in general). They didn’t have craft beer anymore, either - just Tiger and Heineken etc., nothing special. Quite disappointing, since I’d been looking forward to going back for several days!

So I drank a Tiger and took the bus back to Taitung a couple of hours earlier than I’d intended for an awesome pizza at Uncle Pete’s. Did not disappoint!

1 Like

ABC Deli near the Sheraton has a good chicken pita. They just opened a bar upstairs too.

2 Likes

I might have to try that tomorrow! Good chicken pita - you’re not shitting me, are you? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I don’t know this guy, but his specialized focus on food in Taitung and its exceptional cafes (and sweets!) sure impresses me:

Guy

2 Likes

I second ABC Deli! They are delicious, well priced and consistent. For me they are my favorite place in taitung. There is another place in Tiehua container thing on the firs floor that is also really good. Both places make great food for the vegetarian that craves meat…

Abc Deli
WOW’s邦查
Tanyas kitchen (thai food, but good)

Lits of other places but most have draw backs like poor quality, business hours ,diligence, location etc. I avoid dulan like the plague to be honest, way too many problems going on to want to drive furher for food for. But on the north end of dulan there is a pretty good Vietnamese place and up the hill on the north end a good curry spot but they are ultra christian, so not for everyone.

Also be sure to.check out slow food festival. Lots of quality vendors there. Its almost always expensive cokpared to serving.size, but if aperson cares about quality and wants to discover lots of.local eateries, slow food is a MUST. There is a reason the organizers are in love with taitung…

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions! I might have to try the Tiehua place tomorrow too. I passed by there yesterday afternoon when it was closed, but it seemed interesting.

I’m with you on Dulan - I don’t have any inclination now to go back a third time to be honest. I did visit the Vietnamese place last time too, and the pho was decent IIRC.

I really liked it. The poutine could use some work but I know it’s hard to make here.

Good hot sauces and music too. And cheap.

One of the problems with this forum is that older comments hang around forever. When I originally commented on Wagaligong I’d been there recently. As it is now it’s been quite a while. I did come back from Taitung yesterday (I live in Pingtung now) and Mexican seems to be “the new thing.” Good Mexican food made by South Africans? I’m sure it’s possible, but knowing those two guys I doubt it’s very authentic.

2 Likes

I don’t even eat at Wagaligong when I’m staying there. Never even considered it a place for food unless you are a poor starving who-cares-what-I-eat backpacker and can’t stomach anything else nearby including 711.

DB Brewery, Wēndù niàng zhì suǒ, 溫度釀製所, good chef prepared food, trendy vibe, craft beers, Friday and Saturday nights have live music for about an hour.

Central area at Taitung Story Museum across from tourist night market street in old Starbucks space. https://goo.gl/maps/vNVc6wGiypW6xB7T9

Honestly though, the burger I had there in early 2018 was pretty decent. (At least that’s how I remember it - I may just have been starving, enjoying the trip, and lightly inebriated.)

Hey, my kids used to work there!

1 Like

I sincerely feel sad to think that you are going to visit places in Taiwan and instead of asking where to eat traditional food in the area, you talk about where there is a western restaurant, it’s like going to France, Spain or Italy and asking where is the best Thai food restaurant and don’t try to get to know the local food.
It reminds me of the British people that when they go on vacation to southern Europe they only eat at McDonalds or the British pub in the area, lol

Dude, I’ve lived in Asia for almost a decade. Many on Forumosa have lived here a lot longer.

You can keep your sincere sadness and stick your traditional food - sometimes I want a burger or pizza lol. This is just one thread on Forumosa, and the topic is Western restaurants.

And Thai food beats Taiwanese food hands down, in my opinion.

2 Likes

good for you !!!

Taiwansplaining lol
He doesn’t need your good for you.

3 Likes