Some photos of old Taipei

Thanks for the compliments, guys. I have some other old stuff I’ll try and post soon.

Michael

There is such a book. The Historical Photos of Taiwan published by Art House (Yi Shu Chia) publishers. $NT350. The cool thing is that they took modern photos of many of places depicted in the period photos of the early Japanese period. The “modern” photos date from the '70s and are thus interesting B&W artifacts themselves. The bummer is that it is paperback sized, too small IMHO to really appreciate the shots.

Michael

I finally posted my collection of vintage Taiwan images. Check it out if interested. (900+ photos).

http://www.initechnology.com/taipics

p.s. if the site looks funky on a large monitor, please leave a comment. I just got this site online and have only seen it on my 1024x768 laptop.

I guess this is as good a place as any to post this. Here’s an interesting video of CKS in 1961, showing off Taiwan’s military might:

youtube.com/watch?v=8UmIcpHMU-E

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]I guess this is as good a place as any to post this. Here’s an interesting video of CKS in 1961, showing off Taiwan’s military might:

youtube.com/watch?v=8UmIcpHMU-E[/quote]

Nice vid MT… I wonder how many of those kids in the crowd are binlang spitting old fucks now??
Ah, history!!

Well that’s too bad. The link worked just fine a few minutes ago and it was a cool vid. Now it only results in this:

[quote]500 Internal Server Error
Sorry, something went wrong.

A team of highly trained monkeys has been dispatched to deal with this situation. In any case, please report this incident to customer service. . . [/quote]

:s

Works for me.

Eh. What did you say??? Patooey.

An old photo of Damshui, I think 1911.

I just posted a bunch of new(old) photos in my vintage collection, check it out whenever you have time. www.initechnology.com/taipics There are a few photos of a horse racking track from the late 30s in the postcard3 collection that are somewhat interesting. Also in the military folder, there is a Life magizine cover from Dec 4, 1944 - “B-25s over Formosa”.

Just reviving this fascinating thread, and adding some links I found (which may be updates of 4nr’s links above):

taipics.com/old-taipei-1
taipics.com/old-taipei-2

Agreed, great thread! That site is cool, Chris.

The GIO also has a pretty extensive collection of mostly 1950s photos sorted by category:
taiwanimage.gio.gov.tw/photo/en/ … 1.php?c=12

And there’s a “Streets of Old” photo colelction here that’s also worth a look:
taiwanimage.gio.gov.tw/photo/en/ … lbum_id=71

There’s some gems in the education section like this 1950s English teacher:

That photo could be from yesterday.

Google is hosting the photo archives of Life magazine. Many of the photos were never published.

Searches for Taiwan and Formosa turn up sets that don’t have too much overlap. The Taiwan set has lots of photos of Taoism/folk religion, as well as plenty of shots of cold war Jinmen.

Life magazine has reposted a whole lot of old TW photos. Some great shots of the war on Kinmen and old Taipei, amongst other things.

www.life.com search with Taiwan or Taiwan 1950 and you’ll get some great stuff.

A collection of Taipei in the 50s is here

cfimages, great links! I like how the anti-communist slogans painted on the old Taipei northern gate were written using simplified characters. :laughing:

Those photos of 1950’s Taipei are beautiful.

I think I would have loved to be in Taipei back then… man things have changed.

1 Like

Photos from 1896.

hahn.zenfolio.com/p554924562

Just saw this one. This must have been taken practically from in my garden.