Some questions about marriage, visas and JFRV

Don’t know where this one came from…

Australia doesn’t do it either, or the US or the UK and Europe… if you want to register a marriage you do it by getting married in that country imho,…

I know of many foreigners who are married locally, they never registered their marriges in their home country.[/quote]

Including me (married in Taiwan but never registered in the US). Here’s what others have said on the subject:

[quote]I’ve almost completed the process of getting my JFRV now. Something that really delayed everything is a document that is not mentioned in any discussions on Forumosa.

Before getting married we both had to get single certificates from our country’s respective population registers. Fair enough. Knew about that. However, after marriage I also had to show a document from the Norwegian population registry that we were married! The marriage certificate was not enough! The office admitted that if my country didn’t have a central population register. It wouldn’t be required. So I guess the need for this depends on your nationality.

Of course, I didn’t know about that before I had left the country, so it took me about 3 weeks to get it fixed[/quote]
[Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … age#103877](Another marriage/visa question - #11 by lysfjord

[quote][quote]Hartzell wrote:
I would be interested in confirmation from other knowledgeable individuals that “proof that the marriage is registered in the foreigner’s home country” is no longer required as of September, 2002. [/quote]

Hi Richard,

I too can confirm not needing proof of marriage in my home country (England), got my JFRV this week . I’m not sure if being British made any difference, as I am not sure if whether we can register it there.

We were also told that as long as the marriage/Taiwan marriage license is performed in the court (ie: rather than going to the local 7-11 or your own living room) it is acceptable as legal.[/quote]
[Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … iage#38147](Getting Married in Taiwan - #15 by tpetourist

And even the illustrious Sir Donald Bradman once posted the following:

[quote]Getting a JFRV and ARC

. . . Then you are supposed to provide either a certificate of marriage from your home country or proof that your marriage is registered in your home country. In the past this seemed to cause huge problems becuase countries such as NZ have no way of registering your marriage (in NZ you can only register an overseas marriage if it is witnessed by staff from a local embassy and NZ has no embassy in Taiwan, and they wouldn’t budge on that rule when I made enquiries). However, now it shouldn’t be a problem. The new requirement asks for:

The original and a copy of the certificate of marriage registration issued by the applicant’s government and authenticated by an ROC mission abroad. (For applicants from a country that does not have a marriage registration system, the certificate of marriage shall be submitted.)

Note the bit in brackets. So I stress: my Taiwanese Marriage Certificate was fine. Also I believe that the women behind the counter probably don’t have a wide knowledge of which countries have registration systems and which don’t.[/quote]
[Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … iage#38147](Getting Married in Taiwan - #15 by tpetourist

In two days I fly to the US for a short stay and upon return to Taiwan will apply for the JFRV (unsure whether I’ll stay in Taiwan or move back to the US at this point, but finally taking care of this just in case). I’m almost certain one can register marriages with the County Clerk in most states in the US, but I guess I’ll take my chances and not bother doing so now. I’m starting to believe with regard to JFRV applications, a legalized proof of such foreign registration was either (a) only required in the past or (b) only required if one got married in the foreign country, and not in Taiwan.