Some questions

Hi there I will be moving to TW in a month…for couple years and maybe staying for good. right now I am in the states…and I have so many questions…I hope you guys can help me out here…

1, I am american citizen, I just applied for tw passport and will enter with it…(I want to get dual citizenship, how long will the process be to get citizenship in tw?) I believe I need to apply for “extended stay”? and after I apply for that since I am 25 already…they say I will be drafted…but I also heard from friend that I can leave every 4 months so I don’t have to go to military? what’s the deal on that…

2, I think interest rates are much higher in tw? I prolly will take all I got and put it in tw bank.

3, discover, citibank credit cards can I use them in tw I mean do they have branches here…or maybe I just need to cancel them and apply for new ones in tw.

4, I got a dog if I fly it to tw can someone give me a number or url to ask what do I need to do to bring to dog to tw?

5, I got a car it’s about $5500 now. now how much tax and transportation fee will it be if I ship it to tw? I prolly need an url to read up on that too…

well I think that’s all the questions for now…any suggestion/advice will be appreciated. I kinda feel helpless until I found this site…hope you guys can help me out here…

-Dave

Do you want to serve in the military? (Some do :? ) My husband is a dual citizen and he exits and re-enters every 4 months. We’ve been here 3 years now, and he was born here so he’s been a dual citizen since he was a young child.

I suggest keeping them. You don’t [bold]really[/bold] know how long you’ll be here.

If that’s what it’s worth, I don’t recommend bringing it. I don’t know what it costs from the mainland but after looking at the cost of bringing a car (or two) to Taiwan, we opted to sell them instead. Bought a NT 60,000 scooter and got an old car from the inlaws for free.

J.

[quote=“okaythen01”]
1, I am american citizen, I just applied for tw passport and will enter with it…(I want to get dual citizenship, how long will the process be to get citizenship in tw?) I believe I need to apply for “extended stay”? and after I apply for that since I am 25 already…they say I will be drafted…but I also heard from friend that I can leave every 4 months so I don’t have to go to military? what’s the deal on that…[/quote]

You must renounce your US citizenship before you can become a Taiwan citizen are you sure you want to do this? Or do you have Taiwan blood relatives living in Taiwan?

The exchange rate is around 35NT to 1USD

You cannot use your Discover card in Taiwan, I have never seen a store that authorizes it. Citibank is okay, most large stores, hotels, etc accept it.

hmmmmm, I’ll see if I can find the answer.

Leave it in the US. It may cost you more to bring it here than it’s worth? Will you really need to drive? Where in Taiwan do you want to live and for how long do you plan to stay here?

Importing a dog geocities.com/t-aarf/import.html

[quote=“JeffG”][quote=“okaythen01”]
1, I am american citizen, I just applied for tw passport and will enter with it…(I want to get dual citizenship, how long will the process be to get citizenship in tw?) I believe I need to apply for “extended stay”? and after I apply for that since I am 25 already…they say I will be drafted…but I also heard from friend that I can leave every 4 months so I don’t have to go to military? what’s the deal on that…[/quote][/quote]

You must renounce your US citizenship before you can become a Taiwan citizen are you sure you want to do this? Or do you have Taiwan blood relatives living in Taiwan?

I must renounce my US citizenship? are you sure? I am pretty sure I can keep both and become dual citiznship

You don’t need to renounce if you’re an overseas Chinese. You do if you’re not. I am told this policy is not based on ethnic lines, but on descent.

You already have a form of ROC citizenship. You will just need to register your household registration in Taiwan. See www.alientw.org

[quote=“hexuan”]You don’t need to renounce if you’re an overseas Chinese. You do if you’re not. I am told this policy is not based on ethnic lines, but on descent.

You already have a form of ROC citizenship. You will just need to register your household registration in Taiwan. See www.alientw.org[/quote]

This is what I meant to say okaythen01 sorry about that, as it seems like you are Asian but you did not specify.

thanks guys…that was helpful. JeffG yeah my background is Taiwanese and I will be living in Kaohsiung area…

also I wanted to know that right now I got English version of windows 2k…I am sure I can’t install chinese software on this I can’t use this for both english and chinese…so what can I do to be able to use all my English program but also be able to install chinese software and stuff? is there an OS that allow you to do that or maybe I will install one win2k for enlgish and one for chiense?

so jrc exactly how does your husband do it? I mean leaving every 4 months…just go to HK or anywhere and just come back on the same day then you can stay for 4 months more? what if I enter with tw passport, then in 4 month I just all use US passport to exit and enter then the whole time I am actually in tw? coz tw passport I didnt’ exit…so that way I can stay here for one year which is needed for tw citizenship and don’t have to enter and re enter?

Each question you have asked has been answered in full elsewhere on this site. Use the search facility to find the relevant discussions.

btw what’s the difference if I enter with tw passport and usa passport?

Please consult your closest TECO office in the US about this question, you can find a list here: roc-taiwan.org/.

I also remember seeing the answer to that question either
customs.gov/travel/travel.htm or here
ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/lawsregs/index.htm

But you will need to take some time to search for it.

Perleeez do your dog a favour by not bringing it to Taiwan. This is not a good place to be a dog. Give it to someone who knows the dog and whom you trust to take good care of it, e.g. a family member or neighbour. You can get a dog from the streets or a shelter, or rescue one from a bad owner, within days of arriving here.