Somebody has too much time on his/her hands!

A little article in the BBC recently about the 1p coin states that approximately 6,300,000,000 of the little buggers are MIA.

So far so good, but look at this for a reply from a concerned reader. [quote]This is a staggering number of coins to go missing. A 1p coin weighs 3.5g so the missing coins weigh in excess of 22 metric tonnes and would occupy a volume of approximately 2600 cubic meters if stacked in the most efficient way. This is equivalent to a pile 2.6 km long measuring 1 metre by 1 metre. Working on the assumption that it takes about 10 seconds to stack ten 1p coins (sadly I have tried this) it would take one person more than 200 years of non-stop work to build this pile - that is, of course, if they could find them! [/quote]

This person should join forumosa!

Whyin hell would it take 10 seconds to stack ten coins? How old is this woman???

I guess that would depend on your method. If you were only allowed to use one hand and touch one coin at a time then it would probably be about ten seconds…

She is stacking them to save space, i.e. end on end. Actually doing this with 10 coins is quite a feat in itself…I reckon she must be tee-total and possibly an ex-doctor…10 seconds…wow!

MIA? I imagine a vast number of them are safely nestled in kids’ piggy banks.

Or melted down. Sometimes the metal value is actually higher than the face value…

In fact, this being the case in South Africa, in the last five to seven years the damn small change has become so small as to no longer resemble real currency. Although, that’s kind of ironic in itself…

Latest update:

Time to bring back the thruppeny bit.

That’s why Australia did away with all their one cent coins. Just round to the nearest 5cs, and you can save billions of dollars. With the costs of manufacturing and distribution, the net cost to produce one cent is about 1.4 cents, significantly higher than the face value of the coin. It doesn’t take a genius to realize that you can save money by doing away with useless change and rounding.