Somebody please buy these Scottish Fold kittens

I don’t typically endorse buying pets from pet shops. I hate pet shops. But there’s one near my house and I’ve been stopping by it nearly every day during my close to four months here. A few months ago, they got these adorable Scottish Fold kittens. 2 of them - feisty and active - in a relatively big cage.

Two months have passed now and no one’s bought them. They’re now in their own individual cages and have pretty much lost their spark. They hardly seem to move. It kinda breaks my heart every time I walk past them.

I want to buy them, but 1. I can’t afford both and 2. I’m leaving Taiwan really soon. Plus, I already have pets back home.

If anyone is looking to buy really adorable kittens - please buy these two. I can chip in a little.

You might want to tell people where the store is located.

We bought a three month old Scottish fold kitten in February this year. Scottish folds are smart, gentle, and very affectionate. Our little guy is a total sweetheart, plays with us all the time, doesn’t make much noise, is not the least bit picky, understands what we say to him very well. My wife says he’s more like an affectionate dog than a cat. He’s been a real joy to have in our family. I also think this breed is very good looking.

The most painful thing about living in Taiwan is knowing that I don’t have the resources (money, vehicle, yard) to raise pets here, nor can I make the commitment (because I plan on leaving one of these days). I really, really wish I could help out.

[quote=“aardvarky”]I don’t typically endorse buying pets from pet shops. I hate pet shops. But there’s one near my house and I’ve been stopping by it nearly every day during my close to four months here. A few months ago, they got these adorable Scottish Fold kittens. 2 of them - feisty and active - in a relatively big cage.

Two months have passed now and no one’s bought them. They’re now in their own individual cages and have pretty much lost their spark. They hardly seem to move. It kinda breaks my heart every time I walk past them.

I want to buy them, but 1. I can’t afford both and 2. I’m leaving Taiwan really soon. Plus, I already have pets back home.

If anyone is looking to buy really adorable kittens - please buy these two. I can chip in a little.[/quote]

Location? Price? Pictures?

Could be a collective effort and have them adopted to a good home… after being spayed/neutered so they won’t go to a kitty mill.

The problem is… I feel like this about almost all cats and dogs in pet stores here :frowning:(((((

cannot buy/adopt them all, and it breaks my heart~

Quite. Although it’s depressing to see this, giving these assholes your custom simply rewards their bad behaviour. Painful as it may be, it’s better to NOT to encourage people to hand over their cash. Come to think of it, I wonder if they intentionally give animals less-than-adequate accommodation in the hope that random passersby will feel the need to ‘rescue’ them?

Thanks for all the helpful responses. The pet shop is located on Roosevelt Road, a little ways down from the Wanlong MRT, exit 4.
The kittens were around $300 each when I first asked (when they were babies). I don’t remember the exact price in NTD, I did a mental calculation in my head. I feel like he would give a discount now that they’re bigger and especially if you get both at the same time. I’m not too bad at haggling, although I can’t do it in Mandarin.

@ Icon: That would be awesome. I’d be willing to chip in around $100 if they can go to a good home. If anyone else is interested in chipping in and/or knows someone who could buy these cats - input would be great. I’m leaving Taipei in about a week and I’d love to see these cats in a good home before I go.

And I know what you guys mean by not giving pet shops business and there being a whole lot of animals coop-ed up in those shops, not all of whom you can “rescue” but I think when there is one or two that really gets to you, it’s at least worth a try…

I don’t actually know how to post pictures on here…

Sorry I’m going to agree with another poster above; don’t support them by giving them your $$$.

If you buy them, the greedy petshop owner will be laughing (probably most of that high price is pure profit) and he’ll just buy another pair. If they don’t sell, and they eventually have to be sold at cost-price, then maybe just maybe this store will re-consider keeping cats in the future.

I know it’s hard, but stop visiting the store and try not to get attached (that’s pretty much these types of stores modus operandi).

[quote=“aphasiac”]Sorry I’m going to agree with another poster above; don’t support them by giving them your $$$.

If you buy them, the greedy petshop owner will be laughing (probably most of that high price is pure profit) and he’ll just buy another pair. If they don’t sell, and they eventually have to be sold at cost-price, then maybe just maybe this store will re-consider keeping cats in the future.[/quote]

+1 on that

I might make many an enemy here, but I do firmly believe that one must drive on.

When I first arrived, I took pity on many an animal in dire cicrumstance. Saved quite a few, but it soon became readily apparent that such was a trickle upon a massive flow of evil.

Call it lack of empathy, but that just ain’t it.
I choose my targets, otherwise one’s heart would just bleed dry.

I would most certainly never buy any kittens from a pet shop, as indeed some have mentioned the reasons why.
That said, I don’t go out of my way to protect the other street innocents.
Why, just the other day, I saw a few kittens strayng upon a quite busy road. I did stop, tossed them back in the bush, yet later on the same road there were several kitten pancakes upon the asphalt.
I do hope the smarter ones, figured it out, and are alive to this day.
Darwin’s rules still apply, the fittest shall survive.
Despite our human meddling.

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]
Why, just the other day, I saw a few kittens strayng upon a quite busy road. I did stop, tossed them back in the bush, yet later on the same road there were several kitten pancakes upon the asphalt.
Despite our human meddling.[/quote]
I don’t mean to be a complete tosser here, but instead of tossing them back into the bush, couldn’t you have tossed them on/into your vehicle and tossed them at an animal shelter?

Darwinian rules actually don’t apply, Sir, in the modern word: It’s reached it’s apex, so to speak.

Survival of the richest, not fittest, you fine gentleman. :bow:

Unfortunately, as wrenching as I know it would be for me were I there, I’d not buy them either. I once walked into a random pet shop in a town far from home. There was the cutest little baby iguana in a cage alone, doing damage to its nose end by constantly rubbing it back and forth on the glass. I felt sorry for the thing and my feelings must have been obvious to the owner as he looked at me because he told the worker there to go feed It to the snake (there were several in the shop) as it had been on the shelf too long. I knew the moment I looked at his face that he was saying that only to play on my sympathies. That angered me, but it also made me feel worse for all the poor creatures stuck under this guy’s roof. I bought the Iguana and learned to care or it. I took it to the vet as soon as I was able to get it checked out and to get some advice for how to keep it healthy and happy. The saddest thing was that the nurse exclaimed that she’d never seen one so green. The vet said that it was green because it was healthy and that they’re all supposed to be green–that’s why they’re called green iguanas. He helped me to take good care of my new pet and it grew and was beautiful. It usually had the run of the house and became quite the companion–for a lizard. When I left, the nurse asked if she could have it–I was going to be gone at least six months, so I had asked about boarding it there. I gave it to her when I got back and it became kind of the vet mascot.

I did really enjoy my pet and I took good care of it, but the vet asked me never to buy another pet–of any kind–from a pet shop. He made all the arguments made here and they make sense. Also, the fact that so many captive iguanas aren’t green made an impact on me. People just buy them as cool toys, not because they want to actually care for them.

Today, if I’m in a position, I will rescue an animal and try to re-home it. But I just can’t be a part of the animal-for-sale business.

[quote=“jimipresley”][quote=“TheGingerMan”]
Despite our human meddling.[/quote]
I don’t mean to be a complete tosser here, but instead of tossing them back into the bush, couldn’t you have tossed them on/into your vehicle and tossed them at an animal shelter?

Darwinian rules actually don’t apply, Sir, in the modern word: It’s reached it’s apex, so to speak.

Survival of the richest, not fittest, you fine gentleman. :bow:[/quote]
Man, is jimipresley giving me a pass or what?
If so, he is most sorely mistaken.
:no-no:
Darwin rules still apply, as they have done, and as they always will do.

No, my good sir, I could have, but I would not have.
It should be mentioned that I live far from tha shitty, indeed quite in the country. And as point of fact, I see animals in distress, all the time.
Call me Callous, but since me dawg got poisoned, for no reason at all, I have hardened me heart. Sure, I feel something about those kittie pancakes, but so what?
They deserved to die if they were not smart enough to NOT go on that road.
There it is.
Flail away on me, but let’s make sure we are talking about the same element.

Life, by its very essence, entails, some shal fail, and some shall pass. Now granted, humans very much interfere with said process.
I should be honest here: I have two kids, and doing my utmost to keep them safe, takes most of my energy. I’ll be damned if I will spend it on some street animal, that unless it has the intelligence to rise above, will die soon anyway.

Last week, during a beavy rainstorm, I had to park my bike while I waited for this HUGE snake to devour several stupid frogs that were trying to cross this small rice paddy road.

Was I wrong? Should I have given the frogs a chance?

Nature, and this is something we have far digressed, has its’ own laws.
Humans, mostly ugly bags of bones and water, have not yet even begun to start.

[quote]
Last week, during a beavy rainstorm, I had to park my bike while I waited for this HUGE snake to devour several stupid frogs that were trying to cross this small rice paddy road.

[/quote]No, but a video would have been swell. Let’s try not be so selfish, eh? :thumbsup:

This is why I avoid petshops, and the scum who run them. Violence never solved anything, but I would have been sorely tempted to shove said snake down his trousers to see if it could find some tasty morsels.

While I pretty much agree with TheGingerMan’s assessment of animal life - for the wild ones it is, like it or not, nasty, brutish and short - it’s something different entirely to see humans deliberately making it worse.

[quote=“rodeo”][quote]

[/quote]No, but a video would have been swell. Let’s try not be so selfish, eh? :thumbsup:[/quote]
Most apt.
Truth be told, I reached for me hatchet.
Did not even think about ye that were not there.
Next time, perhaps?

i hate the pet shops here. last week i saw 2 puppies in seperate containers, both pissed in them. one of them was the saddest puppy i have ever seen in my life. i actually could of cried but i forced myself not to. fuck these pet shops.

I assume pet stores have no regulations in Taiwan?

I have always wondered what they do with the unwanted ones.

I remember one small pet shop had 4 kittens they were offering for free. They still had two of them a couple of months later.

[quote=“aphasiac”]Sorry I’m going to agree with another poster above; don’t support them by giving them your $$$.

If you buy them, the greedy petshop owner will be laughing (probably most of that high price is pure profit) and he’ll just buy another pair. If they don’t sell, and they eventually have to be sold at cost-price, then maybe just maybe this store will re-consider keeping cats in the future.

I know it’s hard, but stop visiting the store and try not to get attached (that’s pretty much these types of stores modus operandi).[/quote]

Alternatively, you (or another kind soul willing to give them a home) could consider suggesting to the pet store owner that – as he appears to have been unable to find a home for them over a long period – you would take them off his hands and give them a good home, but without paying him. Who knows, maybe he would in fact give them away. Couldn’t hurt to try.

(I myself already have several animals at home and am unable to take more.)