Someone hits you? Grab their Keys first

I often find that when someone hits you and is at fault. They sometimes sit stunned for a few seconds trying to process what just happened…and then they take off. And you’ve probably heard stories of foreigners going to the police station with the plate number of someone who just “hit & run” them…and the police doing nothing. SO…when someone hits you…I personally think the first thing you should do (if you’re not hurt) is to grab their keys. Had a guy in a car hit me once…I reached in his window (someone is going to flame that) and grabbed his keys…the guy was so “out of it” that he didn’t even notice…later he was surprised when I handed his keys back.

A friend of mine got hit just a couple of days ago. He was going through a green light and hit one of three scooter punks that were running the red. The argued for awhile…almost came to blows…then the punks hopped on their scooters and rode off. My friend might have chased them…but they had taken his keys.

So even if it’s a scooter that hits your car…if they are at fault the easiest way of making sure they don’t flee is to grab their keys. I’m sure some of the more timid members will disagree…but I’ve had it happen where someone hits me…sticks around for about 30 seconds…then rethinks the situation and takes off.

i’ve seen cops here do the same thing when they try to pull someone over … not surprising when you consider how long it takes to get someone to pull over for doing something wrong …

That depends on where you’re at, I guess. A couple of years ago in good old South Africa (where I’m from), a guy did exactly that, leaned into the car and took the keys, and the driver shot him.
Maybe the guy did the right thing, but he was pretty dead too.
I try to get away from conflict, even when the aggressor is obviously wrong. It’s just a wee bit safer.

[quote=“twonavels”]That depends on where you’re at, I guess. A couple of years ago in good old South Africa (where I’m from), a guy did exactly that, leaned into the car and took the keys, and the driver shot him.
Maybe the guy did the right thing, but he was pretty dead too.
I try to get away from conflict, even when the aggressor is obviously wrong. It’s just a wee bit safer.[/quote]

Well the other day I heard a guy got on a motorbike…and someone hit him…and now he’s dead. I guess I’m not going to ride bikes anymore. :unamused:

I agree with Mordeth. Take the damn keys and threaten to throw them as far as you can or drop them down the nearest drain.
They become a bargaining tool.

Their attitude changes when you have the keys to their pride and joy in your hands and while their keys are dangling over the nearest drain/cavern/volcano/canyon/snake pit, negotiations often move in your favour.

Bastard drivers in Taiwan. I hate every single one of them.

"And you’ve probably heard stories of foreigners going to the police station with the plate number of someone who just “hit & run” them…and the police doing nothing. "

Yup. Happened to me. Wish I’d taken the keys.

But then if you do that, you get threatened with metal poles, those big bike locks, physically punched, they try to take the keys back with force, even after you put them in your pocket, and the police accuse you of theft. I learnt this from my experience this morning. I just stood there and ignored them until the police arrived to do nothing.

But the person who hit me yesterday, I threw their keys into the middle of a very busy and wide road while shouting “malu zai nabian”

but don’t most drivers carry a spare in their wallet?

or maybe thats just me…

[quote=“webdoctors”]but don’t most drivers carry a spare in their wallet?

or maybe thats just me…[/quote]
I also carry a spare with me. Never know when you might lock yourself out hehehe

[quote=“Satellite TV”]I also carry a spare with me. Never know when you might lock yourself out hehehe[/quote]I’ve taught myself to only lock the door with the keys, so I can’t lock myself out :loco:

Yeah, but the kids in the car can… :smiley: