Someone hits you then refuses to pay.....then what?

I talk about my accident in another thread, but I thought this process should be in it’s own thread. Since this situation is more than likely to be encountered by some of you. And I just want to report what’s happening so you won’t be clueless if this happens to you. So far I’ve been pretty confused :help: .

So, I got hit…I was stopped and the guy on a scooter rear ended me. I was on a motorbike. 100% his fault to anyone who isn’t at least mildly retarded. Police came and made a full report. He said he was going to pay me and then stood me up when I went to meet him a couple of days later. I went back to the police station and told them he is unwilling to discuss payment with me. The next step is that I will be contacted by some kind of arbitrator…who will arrange a time and place for us to meet…in someplace not completely unlike a courtroom. We will most likely settle there…and if not, then it goes to court…I think.

Some interesting notes:
Police now give breathalyzers (check for alcohol) at every accident to all involved…no exceptions…well, unless you’re dead…I doubt they check then.

Insurance generally pays for bodily harm only. Any damage done to the victim’s vehicle comes out of the other guy’s pocket. Unless they have ‘special’ insurance.

If you call the police you’re looking at a minimum of 2-3 hours of your time spent doing reports.

Once the vehicles have been moved from the “crash site” the scene has been “tainted” and insurance won’t pay anything. I think you can stand a bike up though…I sure as hell did…since leaving a bike on it’s side can cause additional damage.

The police will encourage the person they think is at fault to pay. But if he doesn’t, then you will recieve notice from an official arbitrator at a town hall…or city hall. They have a room full of these guys who help settle arguements like this everyday. If one of the two parties doesn’t show to the arbitration then the one that does show…recieves a letter saying that they made the effort while the other person did not. At this point you can either arrange to try to meet again. Or you can go to the “Vehicular Accident division?” of the goverment…it’s an office…that is authorized to place blame on traffic accidents. You give them your case number…and 3,000 N.T. and they will tell you whose fault it is. I need to do that now.

And that’s about it for now…I’ll edit later as I continue the process.

That’s good stuff to know, because the Taiwanese certainly won’t tell you what to do in case of an accident.

Too bad about the dickhead who stood you up. I have heard that most problems should be solved immediately, or at least get the guy’s particulars, such as license plate and driver’s license just in case he does what he did to you.

Good luck with that annoying thing. And go beat him up if he fails to pay. :notworthy:

My wife gave me a piece of chalk last month, to mark the crash scene if needs be. Apparently these days in the event of an accident that doesn’t injure anyone, you’re supposed to:
Mark the position of the vehicles involved with chalk on the road.
Get the vehicles out of the way of the traffic.

Myself I usually have a camera stashed in the car and take photos of the scene and of the damage. Good idea to do that before moving anything.
Of course you have to call the cops if you want to make an insurance claim, but if no-one was hurt and your ride is still blocking the road they will now ticket you for the obstruction.

mordeth -
Thanks for posting this info. Its about the only way a lot of us will ever find out how shit goes on here.
stay safe

Still waiting for the Arbitrator to phone.

[quote=“hsiadogah”]My wife gave me a piece of chalk last month, to mark the crash scene if needs be. Apparently these days in the event of an accident that doesn’t injure anyone, you’re supposed to:
Mark the position of the vehicles involved with chalk on the road.
Get the vehicles out of the way of the traffic.

Myself I usually have a camera stashed in the car and take photos of the scene and of the damage. Good idea to do that before moving anything.
Of course you have to call the cops if you want to make an insurance claim, but if no-one was hurt and your ride is still blocking the road they will now ticket you for the obstruction.[/quote]That’s very good news. One of the most disturbing things to me is when vehicles are left in the middle of the road after an accident, thus inviting further accidents. (Of course it’s going to take a while for people to get to know about this rule change.)

Carrying a camera and chalk seems very sensible. My fancy new cellphone has a camera which though not great is convenient.

If anyone can provide a link to these changed regulations that would be useful.

A can of white spray paint does the trick as well. Mine’s been used countless times for other people’s accidents on the road leading in to where my house is. It’s a two-way street, but barely big enough for two cars across. As soon as there’s a fender-bender, the whole road is useless. A bit of spray paint to mark the scene and everybody’s moving again.

Got a letter from the arbitrator. Had to go to Da-Xi city hall to meet with an arbitrator and the guy that hit me. He didn’t show…of course. Hours more of my time wasted. The arbitrator phoned him and he just said “No, I’m not coming.” . The arbitrator told me the next step was to go to some traffic division office of the government and give them the accident number…and pay them 3,000n.t. to study my accident and give me some kinda official paper saying who is at fault.

I swung by the police station (the one with the helpful police) to let them know I was going to “take it to the next level”. One officer told me I couldn’t sue the guy…unless I “tried” to meet him at least TWO times at the city hall. Not sure if I believe him. He then phoned the arbitrator and told me I’d get a new “summons” within a few days. That was almost two weeks ago. Maybe they are stalling me in hopes the time limit on suing someone will run out. It’s 3 months as far as I can tell.

BTW, the amount I’m suing for has gone from the original 3,000…that I asked for to about 50,000 now…and I have all the proper estimates to show the amount is correct.

Also, I had a young guy on a scooter knock my helmet off of my bike breaking the visor two days ago…he gave me 3,000 n.t. on the spot. Why can’t they all be like him?

Keep on him…A bull terrier approach is the best way to get this settled. Annoy him so much that he’ll pay you off just to get rid of you

Oh, and by the way…Welcome back! :sunglasses: