Someone to come and take away hard rubbish

We’re looking at moving in early September, and want to get rid of a lot of junk before we do so. This is more than we can put downstairs for the garbage guy, and it’s more than we can conveniently leave out on hard rubbish day. Is there a service involving a guy with a truck or trailer who will come and take away your junk for a price?

I believe Steven the mover does this.

Maybe you can convince a couple of guys from second-hand stores to have a look and make their best offer?

Local governments have different policies for removing stuff, but the normal practice is to get one of your head coolies to call the local EPA (Environmental Protection Administration) office and arrange for a truck to pick it up from your place. There is normally no charge.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. We actually have some perfectly usable furniture and a TV (2ndhand of course), which I would much rather see donated to charity than thrown out. I’ve contacted Mr Donation (donate@livemail.tw), but while he can take our spare clothes he has no one who needs our furniture or TV. Are there any charity organizations which might be interested?

By the way, does Steve the Mover have an email address? I couldn’t find one in his big thread.

“City Playgroup” (a playgroup for English-speaking families in Taipei) often donates used items to a charity organisation that runs second-hand stores, proceeds going to help the elderly and severly handicapped adults. I think their name is Huashan, I need to dig out the flier. I have this information, you can call and they will arrange someone to pick things up from you. They do have one or two English-speakers in the organisation but it’s probably better to make the first call in Chinese.

Their contact information:
Taipei City Sao Shing Bei Street (Jie) No. 23, 2F (near BeiPing/Chungshaio East Roads)
Tel: (02) 2391-8083

If you have items that babies and children can use, Harmony Home is another option. Last time I talked to them they were short of baby cribs, toys, and strollers. They also can pick up.

Tel: 2738-9600
http://www.hhat.org/

[quote=“Fortigurn”]Thanks for all the suggestions guys. We actually have some perfectly usable furniture and a TV (2ndhand of course), which I would much rather see donated to charity than thrown out. I’ve contacted Mr Donation (donate@livemail.tw), but while he can take our spare clothes he has no one who needs our furniture or TV. Are there any charity organizations which might be interested?

By the way, does Steve the Mover have an email address? I couldn’t find one in his big thread.[/quote]

This is no problem. Simply place the shit outside with a big “FOR SALE” sign and it will be gone by morning. I recall one time, trying to GIVE AWAY a washing machine. Nobody would take the damn thing. It worked but was too small for my family. I put it out front with a for sale sign on it and it was “Gone in 60 Seconds”.

Thanks guys, this should help.

There’s also Peitro. He’s gone home for summer but will be back in September. Peitro collects goods to distribute to aboriginal villages along the East Coast. He can also pick up, if you give him some advance notice.

tel 0939449743

Yup, Steven Chiang steventhemover@hotmail.com

Thanks.