Someone trying to find out my true identity

Here’s a scenario: I’m with a friend in Starbuck’s talking about some posts on Forumosa. The guy beside us turns and says, “I’m also on Forumosa. You aren’t SonicHakka, by any chance?”

If this guy’s question fair?

I mean, after all, if we wanted our real names known, we would use them on Forumosa (like Kennedy does). On the other, maybe users feel a certain bond and don’t mind letting each other know one another’s names in such a situation as described above.

Any comments?

HS,

I don’t want my true identy posted on this forum… but I have no problem with other posters knowing me in the real world (well, at least in Taiwan :wink: )…

Go ahead and tell him…then kill him.

[quote=“tigerman”]HS,

I don’t want my true identy posted on this forum… but I have no problem with other posters knowing me in the real world (well, at least in Taiwan :wink: )…[/quote]

Tigerman, do you mean other posters who you meet at a Forumosa social event or get to know via posts / e-mail or those like the guy I described above (you’re never seen him before, he just asks you his identity)?

[quote=“HakkaSonic”][quote=“tigerman”]HS,

I don’t want my true identy posted on this forum… but I have no problem with other posters knowing me in the real world (well, at least in Taiwan :wink: )…[/quote]

Tigerman, do you mean other posters who you meet at a Forumosa social event or get to know via posts / e-mail or those like the guy I described above (you’re never seen him before, he just asks you his identity)?[/quote]

I’m not certain it would make any difference to me, to be honest. Certainly the posters I meet at social events I haven’t any problem with. And I think I met Toe Save at a non-social event… well, I guess all events involving more than a single person are “social” events… but you know what I mean. If the guy identified himself as a fellow poster, I guess I would tell him my posting nom de plume, provided, that is, he also told me his.

Off the top of my head, I think this is proper etiquette, but the other person should offer the name first. I wouldn’t feel comfortable with somebody just asking my name. But if the guy said, “I’m tigerman,” then I’d of course I’d tell my name and then force him to share his excellent collection of beer with me.

LOL! I assure you, it wasn’t me who inquired. I barely ever frequent coffee joints.

And as for my beer… I share most of it willingly… in most cases… but if threatened with or by force, my dog Dofu is mighty defensive (of me and my beer) :laughing:

[quote=“HakkaSonic”]Here’s a scenario: I’m with a friend in Starbuck’s talking about some posts on Forumosa. The guy beside us turns and says, “I’m also on Forumosa. You aren’t SonicHakka, by any chance?”

If this guy’s question fair?

I mean, after all, if we wanted our real names known, we would use them on Forumosa (like Kennedy does). On the other, maybe users feel a certain bond and don’t mind letting each other know one another’s names in such a situation as described above.

Any comments?[/quote]

It depends on how you feel about it. If you don’t know the guy and don’t feel comfortable letting him know who you are, just say no, you’re not HakkaSonic, but you know HakkaSonic and you can vouch that he’s a hell of a guy.

I don’t have too much of a problem with that. I don’t say anything on here I wouldn’t say in public. But if you want your annimoninty then I respect that right but you shouldn’t go shouting about it in starbucks :wink: If someone overhears you and they think they know you, do you expect them to keep quiet ?
At least they didn’t think you’re nancywu :slight_smile:

Cold Front, I’m hardly going to start lying.

Cold Front, I’m hardly going to start lying.[/quote]

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

(Edit: Actually, my comment was a joke. I assumed your response to it was a joke as well, but on a second reading, I’m not too sure. I guess I need to use more of these yellow bugs to signal my meaning.)

Cold Front, I’m hardly going to start lying.[/quote]

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

(Edit: Actually, my comment was a joke. I assumed your response to it was a joke as well, but on a second reading, I’m not too sure. I guess I need to use more of these yellow bugs to signal my meaning.)[/quote]

It was no joke, Cold Front, I’m not about to starting telling people I’m a hell of a guy.

Sure, the question is fair. Just a friendly question, to me.

I have no problem letting people who seem decent know my name.

HakkaSonic –

I was kidding. Don’t take it so seriously. You don’t need to tell people you’re a hell of a guy. I figured you would be able to appreciate the humor of my description.

I guess “decent” is the key word. I guess my rules are: 1) did the person give me his / her name first, 2) does the person look decent, and 3) if they do, I may give my name depending on my mood; if they don’t, it’s leg drop time.

Those of us who have posted uncomplimentary remarks about certain political personages might well expect to have people enquiring about our identities if next year’s election goes the wrong way. Better not make it too easy for them by letting it be known too widely that in real life I’m Dudley Giles of Flat 512, No. 64, Anping Road, Hsintien, Taipei. Whoops!

[quote=“Cold Front”]HakkaSonic –

I was kidding. Don’t take it so seriously. You don’t need to tell people you’re a hell of a guy. I figured you would be able to appreciate the humor of my description.[/quote]

Cold Front, all I can say is that if you don’t stop telling people I’m a hell of a guy, I’m going to have no choice but to point out that you are one, stand-up kind of guy and probably a member of MENSA to boot. Is that what it’s going to come to?

HakkaSonic –

All I can say is you’re a hell of a guy.

Thanks.

[quote=“Cold Front”]HakkaSonic –

All I can say is your a hell of a guy.[/quote]

All I can say is you need an editor.