Something for Matrix fans to save up for

For you Matrix fans, they are bringing out a box set of all the films at the end of the year, not three discs, not six, not even seven, but TEN :astonished: Makes the Alien nine-disc set look a bit weedy. Not quite as silly as the Forty-Eight disc Star Trek sets though.

It includes comentaries by critics who hated the films, sounds interesting. Start saving those pennies:
dvddebate.com/modules.php?na … e&sid=4625

I’m a Matrix fan who thinks the Matrix sucks.

I know it’s an oxymoron, but you watch it thinking ‘it could have been so much better if they…’ and it’s actually quite addictive.

It got progressively suckier from Reloaded to Revolutions. Therefore, the critics talking about how it sucked is a definite plus! I want it!

Let me try to expand on this thread…

THE MATRIX COULD HAVE BEEN BETTER IF…

…The Oracle was in Brazil. They could do a language download and all speak Brazilian Portuguese in the streets of Sao Paolo… The soundtrack could have some Brazilian punk/funk a la Chico Science & Nacao Zumbi…
Why set everything in the anglophone world? The Matrix is about breaking restraints. The actors could have pulled it off. I’d love to see Keanu speaking like a Brazilian and doing some Capoeira and Brazilian Jujitsu moves with some funky Samba-Metal… That would have funked it up…

TEN DISKS? That’s a good example of many things:

1. Wasted space - Christ, imagine the pitiful use of space and technology they must be making. Just like they do on a lot of DVDs, I’ll bet they left a fair bit blank unnecessarily, partly because TEN DISK SPECIAL EDITION OMGWTFBBQ is much more marketable than FIVE DISK SPECTACULAR OMGPLZ

2. Idiotic consumers - I mean shit, why? TEN DISKS? Who the hell is going to watch all ten? It’s just for wank value. That way you can look c00l3r than your friend with the pitiful 3 disk (or whatever the total would normally be) set. You’re spending some obscene amount extra for crap you don’t need and probably won’t watch just to wank on about having the OMFGROFLMAO SPECIAL EDITION when you could, you know, just buy the movies normally.

3. Marketing over purpose - see the above two. The only reason they’re packing so many disks is because special edition toss makes more money because people get suckered in to thinking it’ll make them cool.

As big of a fan as I am, this is just a complete waste of money. There is absolutely nothing new being offered except special-feature type stuff, as well as gasp an actual interview or two/commentary with the reclusive Wachowski Bros. If they had managed to package an “Animatrix 2” with the set, I may have considered buying it. I guess for behind-the-scenes buffs, it’s a fun purchase…but I’ll pass. :raspberry:

[quote=“Sinister Tiddlywinks”]I’m a Matrix fan who thinks the Matrix sucks.

I know it’s an oxymoron, but you watch it thinking ‘it could have been so much better if they…’ and it’s actually quite addictive.

It got progressively suckier from Reloaded to Revolutions. Therefore, the critics talking about how it sucked is a definite plus! I want it![/quote]
Brilliant, Otto. They lost me completely in the first movie when they went on about how the sun was completely hidden and the machines were extracting energy from humans. Like, oh, humans don’t need to eat??

I saw the second one, “Matrix Rewarmed”, and the scene in which Neo is in a room with hundreds of TVs, each with a different reaction, was totally offputting. The club scene was irritating, as was Neo flying around like Dork Kent/Superduperman. I never did see “Matrix Refried”.

Great idea on the language thing. I saw a fantastic movie a few months ago, “No Man’s Land” (about the uncivil war in the former Yugoslavia), in which there were, IIRC, six different languages used. It added a lot to the movie, I thought. And they just put in subtitles for the non-English, which was great and worked for all of them.

Flying scenes with real airplanes (even CGI) would have been a lot neater. Neo in an all-black carbon-fiber-mat Dreamwings Valkyrie going at Mach 2. . . .

I stick with the first one only - the triology ends right there.