Something in simplified I am having trouble reading

I don’t want to take anyone’s time unnecessarily, but I’d like to know what this means. Obviously it’s in simplified script, and I find that this really slows me down.

I can’t view the image you link to – something about a domain not being on the allowed list.

Ditto

Hmmm, odd. Can you see this?

All I can tell is that it’s some kind of business card about phones.

It means that Forumosa.com isn’t one of the domains that is allowed to link to that file. At least I can understand the English.

Copy and paste this into a new browser window:

Fortigurn, you can see it because you’ve already seen it, it’s in your cache.

What I don’t understand is why Forumosa isn’t allowed to link to that file.

[quote]Copy and paste this into a new browser window:

It’s ok, I’m hosting it myself now.

I can see it because I’m viewing it through an Australian forum which is allowed to link to the ugbox.net domain. If I try to click on the link above in my original post, I find I can’t view it. It won’t even load from cache.

[quote=“Fortigurn”]Hmmm, odd. Can you see this?

All I can tell is that it’s some kind of business card about phones.[/quote]

It’s a name, probably a foreigner (qiao2an1 a1si1hai3). Only the first character is simplified, from 喬 qiáo then
財務 及 行政經理 financial affairs and administrative (or executive) manager (or director),
then various contact info blanks:
address:
phone:
fax:
cell:
email:

Thanks DB. It looks to me like the characters for 電話 and 手提電話 are also simplified. In addition, I thought we called cell phones 手機 over here, not 手提電話. Would the name be something like ‘John Asihai’? Maybe ‘John Assi’?

Yeah, my comment about only one being simplified was regarding the name itself. cai2wu4 is too, as is the jing1 in jing1li3, manager, and various other characters. [quote] In addition, I thought we called cell phones 手機 over here, not 手提電話.[/quote] affirmative; looks like it might be communist usage.

[quote] Would the name be something like ‘John Asihai’? Maybe ‘John Assi’?[/quote] Your guess is as good as mine. :smiley:

More likely Joanne. There is a fixed translation of “John” - Yuehan (from German Johann). The surname doesn’t look English. It isn’t necessarily a foreigner - could be someone from an ethnic minority.

阿斯海 are the first three characters for the Chinese translation of Alzheimer’s Disease (阿斯海默症)

Maybe the person’s last name is Alzhei? Nah, not very likely… :slight_smile:

More likely Joanne. There is a fixed translation of “John” - Yuehan (from German Johann). The surname doesn’t look English. It isn’t necessarily a foreigner - could be someone from an ethnic minority.[/quote]

Yeah, Joan or Joanne is more likely.

手提電話 is typical Hong Kong usage. 乔安 is Joanne or Jo-ann.

Yup. Standard usage here on the mainland.

yeah, “Joanne” sounds more like it, rather than “John”…

But shouji is used on the mainland too. That’s where we got the usage from… used to be da ge da here, right? (with xing dong dian hua as the more formal version, is that used elsewhere I wonder?)