Something other than teaching?

Do you wish there were more job options open to foreigners?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Have just come back from a year teaching in Taiwan and am thinking of heading out there as home hasn’t got a lot to offer…

I’m trawling through the classifieds, looking at both teaching and non-teaching jobs and getting a bit confused…

What I want to know is of other people who mabye started off in Taiwan teaching but then went onto other jobs - what were your experiences like? What did you end up doing? I’m looking to get into media or publishing - anyone managed that???

My chinese is still pretty basic and even though I love Taiwan, the thought of teaching being the only job option open to me is a bit depressing…any thoughts or stories??

[quote=“Shonan”]Have just come back from a year teaching in Taiwan and am thinking of heading out there as home hasn’t got a lot to offer…

I’m trawling through the classifieds, looking at both teaching and non-teaching jobs and getting a bit confused…

What I want to know is of other people who mabye started off in Taiwan teaching but then went onto other jobs - what were your experiences like? What did you end up doing? I’m looking to get into media or publishing - anyone managed that???

My Chinese is still pretty basic and even though I love Taiwan, the thought of teaching being the only job option open to me is a bit depressing…any thoughts or stories??[/quote]

I started off in teaching, went to something else, and then back to teaching. Teaching rocks…the money isn’t bad and you get to boss people around.

BTW, your poll is skewered. You might want to raise it a bit in the middle.

I taught English in Spain for 5 years and was VERY lucky to get a job in I.T. when I went back to the UK (My degree was in electronic englineering, but I had worked in other things for 10 years in total since graduating). I was only there for 2 years before my wife brought me over here.

I started teaching English here, but knew it was going to be the last nail in my C.V. coffin, so I moved into technical writing after 6 months. Not that I want to be a technical writer when I go home, but the good thing is that I’m working for a computer company and will hopefully be able to make something of that.