Something plastic in my drain pipe

I have something in my drain pipe…the floor drain in the kitchen/living room area that is. As this is the last drain before all the water leaves the house my room gets flooded every time I do any water stuff.
What can I do? Yep, it was silly of me to fix the loose drain cover with only some tape. Yep, it was silly of me not to realize that the cats wouldn’t find out exactly how to remove it. After a whole bunch of Tomcat thrown going down the drain, literally and figuratively, I finally figured out what happened after seeing the cat trying in vain to remove the bathroom drain with its nails.

I’ve been at it all night with one of those kinky snakey tools, and I can hear the plastic-sounding thing scraping around. I can even push the tool past it right down the pipe. But I can’t manage to hook the sucker. (I suspect it is one of those white plastic bottled water caps.)
I tried putting a bunch of tape on the end of the snake toolthing, and I put superglue on it, and I unbent a hanger and that almost got it. The problem is it needs to be smallish to push by it, and then have some hook to hook it and pull it back. No can do.

It’s not lodged tight so I doubt if sucking it out would do.
Help!

Sounds like you need a plumber mate…

All I ever use is Tomcat.

Context. Context is EVERYTHING. This is the only part of your post that I read.

Context. Context is EVERYTHING. This is the only part of your post that I read.[/quote]

Hehehe… :homer:

Honey, that just shows that you only read what you WANT to read. I even had a very clear heading there. Sheeesh!
Plumbers are expensive! I will get one, but how do you think they would get a plasting thing out of a pipe. Every time I get workers over at the house they destroy something. That is how the drain cover got loose in the first place!

Not in Taiwan.

If you can’t haul it out, break it up. Seriously. Maybe if you can break it into at least 2 pieces they’ll all drain out and you’re all set. If they don’t drain away, then at least you’ve given yourself more room for the hook.

Less seriously (but more fun): think about using a handful of those big-ass Chinese firecrackers to do it with.

Whoo-hoo!!! Fountains of sludge! A new drain hole! A bigger drain!!! You need to clean that room top to bottom anyway!!

[quote=“twonavels”]my room gets flooded every time I do any water stuff.

I’ve been at it all night with one of those kinky snakey tools

It’s not lodged tight so I doubt if sucking it out would do.[/quote]
fnar, fnar… :smiley: :blush: :smiley:

Oh, ok. You’ve always been a dear, so:

[quote=“twonavels”]I tried putting a bunch of tape on the end of the snake toolthing, and I put superglue on it, and I unbent a hanger and that almost got it. The problem is it needs to be smallish to push by it, and then have some hook to hook it and pull it back. No can do.
[/quote]
Superglue almost certainly won’t work and might clog things up permanently. For one thing, it doesn’t stick to most plastics; for another, it doesn’t hold until it sets.

Try using some very sticky chewing gum – you know how it gets less sticky as time goes on, so chew it just long enough to get it mushy. Poster wall-tack (whatever it’s called, the blue goo that kids use to stick posters to the walls, I’ve seen it used at JDSmith’s place so I know it is available in Taiwan) might work but is probably not sticky enough.

In the U.S., I’ve seen plumbers’ “snakes”, made of flexible steel cable, with spring-loaded tongs on the business end. I don’t know where you could find them here, maybe a plumbing shop would have them. There’s a little pushbutton on the handle end, which operates like a photographer’s shutter-trip – push in, the tongs open; release, the tongs close. Usually the tongs are made of spring steel, and slide in and out of the cable.

Dissolving the plastic might work, but you’d need to experiment with solvents to find out which one would work (and hope that you’re guessing right about it being a bottlecap).

You could also try forcing the thing past the trap so that it goes into the Taiwanese sewage system. They won’t care. You’d need a flexible pastic snake about the same diameter as the pipe and long enough to get past the trap; just shove it on down. I think I saw one of these in “Requiem for a Dream” at the end. :smiley:

Not in Taiwan.[/quote]Also plumbers in Taiwan don’t look like this:
Poster translation (I think): “I’m staying in Poland - do come over”

Wow, my hole is unclogged once more!
When I saw the Fluffster’s Polish pics the pesky plastic cloggage came flying right out of that nasty old hole and hit the ceiling, scaring the cats in the process.
But seriously, I went to the all-purpose store and the friendly dude said that I could find some of those tweezy snake-things, but that he was all sold out. Must be a lot of clogged drains around. Then I went to the OK to buy some Hubble Bubble (got that idea too!). I discovered last night that Superglue doesn’t work although I spent a nice evening eating the stuff off my fingers. The guy also said just push it down. Any pipe should be able to handle that.

On the way upstairs I happened to run into my landlord, and he came up and helped me push the thing down all the way down the hole. It’s amazing how something so little can mess your life up so completely. People, appreciate your plumbing.
And thanks for all the support.
(Can’t believe I managed this entire post without resorting to a single sexual joke. I must be losing my touch. :slight_smile: )

[quote](Can’t believe I managed this entire post without resorting to a single sexual joke. I must be losing my touch. :slight_smile: )[/quote]I saw loads:

Wow, my hole is unclogged once more!

The guy also said just push it down

cloggage came flying right out of that nasty old hole and hit the ceiling, scaring the cats in the process.

On the way upstairs I happened to run into my landlord, and he came up and helped me push the thing down all the way down the hole.

I spent a nice evening eating the stuff off my fingers

It’s amazing how something so little can mess your life up so completely

Huh?

Hmmmm… My plumbing… :homer: