Does anyone here know someone that can help me to build a Linux Based HTPC (Home Theater PC)?
I started building an HTPC with WinXP and I gave up. It is incredibly unstable. Maybe mostly because I suspect the Compro Videomate TV Ultra card conflicted with the Matrox P650 graphic card. I suspect this because the service engineer at COMPRO told me they have problems with the Matrox cards since they haven’t worked on compatibility with these cards yet. Whatever, this was just what I needed to get me to finally switch to LINUX, at least for my HTPC box.
Can I do the following with Linux:
- PVR with some sort of compression
- DVI Output to my Projector
- DVI Output to my Plasma
- MP3 Server
- Play DIVX Movies that I have downloaded
- Play just about any DVD I put in there whether it is a copy of my original or some other regions disc
- Be a photo server
- Have saved location Internet Radio Stations accessible from a main menu
- Have an excellent main menu
- Be able to surf the web
- Remote controllable with my MX-700 Theater Master learning Macro capable IR remote.
- Record DVD movies to HDD on the fly as I watch them, then save for burning onto a DVD with my built-in DVD burner.
I would like to pay someone to setup my system with all of the software (I will pay for the software) I need and retool any components (I will buy the components) that do not work with Linux.
I would do it myself as I have built many Windows based PCs from scratch, but lately I don’t have the time and this seems a hell of a lot cheaper to do this than buying Pioneer DVD recorder with 160gb HDD which is really the most important feature for me, PVR, plus it will have a lot more functions and since it is Linux based isn’t it guaranteed to be 99% more stable than a Microsoft based HTPC server?