Sony pda questions

I have a Sony Clie that comes with two mail applications, but the conduit supplied requires me to use Outlook or Eudora.

I use Netscape 7, and can’t find a conduit that will allow me to read use my PDA. MsgAgent looks like it should work, but seems to be insisting that I use a dial-up connection. Not much use as I get online via a company network.

Suggestions anyone?

The obvious suggestion would be to setup Eudora so you can sync that with your palm. I’m assuming you’ve ruled out the possiblity of their being a conduit for Netscape. If you post the name of the email software you’re using I could double check.

I found this [CLICK HERE]
The netscape conduit is 3 down. I’m not exactly sure if that’s what you’re look for.

The netscape conduit is 3 down. I’m not exactly sure if that’s what you’re look for.

Wish it was. The mail utility supplied with the Palm OS allegedly allows you to sync with Netscape 4.5 and higher. NS7 looks to be too high tho’. At least, I’m buggered if I can get it to work.

NS fires up when I hotsync, but no mail seems to get transferred.

I downloaded the latest version of PalmDesktop yesterday, and all that did was kill the hotsync function. I could still access the memory stick, so there must have been some kind of connection, but no hotsync.

Cured it by reinstalling the older PalmDesktop, and reset the PDA for good measure, but something’s definitely wrong somewhere.

I’ve also tried the Clie Mail utility, but that doesn’t even give me the option of syncing with NS. There’s a few other mail apps that I looked at, but none of them seem to come with a conduit.

I can’t believe that Netscape - AOL Time Warner - are letting themselves be cut out of the picture like this. So I’m assuming that some idiot (me?) is doing something wrong.

It doesn’t help that I bought the thing locally and the English OS was installed in-store from a copied CD. I have no English Language literature, and have noticed that the CD they gave me has model numbers on it different from the ones on my machine.

Suggestions?

I’d probably go with netscap 4.6 (or what ever). It’s been a long time since my tech support days, but unless many things have changed with Netscape 7, it sucks. I don’t remember what I kind of problems it had, but everytime I had a phone call and the person started with “I have netscape 7 and…” it was bad news.

If what you’re looking for can’t be found on Sony’s site or with a google search it’s not worth trying to get setup. I’d suggest changing the email client or finding another way to import and export emails to and from the palm.

If you have a Clie with bluetooth you could get a cell phone that has bluetooth and just send and receive emails from your palm.

Just remember that computers are suppose to be making things easier for you. Unless you like solving these kinds of problems they end up pissing you off.

I just noticed that line. When it says higher it means 4.x, Netscape 7 is a whole new beast.

Oh well, I don’t envisage doing a lot of email on that crappy little thing anyway. I tend to just make notes to myself of emails that I need to write.

About sending mail via a mobile phone. How does that work? I’d have to get a cable connection of some kind, unless you can do it via the IR thingy. But then what?

Presumably I’d need an ISP that I can dial up? Do you know anything about this?

[quote=“tmwc”]Oh well, I don’t envisage doing a lot of email on that crappy little thing anyway. I tend to just make notes to myself of emails that I need to write.

About sending mail via a mobile phone. How does that work? I’d have to get a cable connection of some kind, unless you can do it via the IR thingy. But then what?

Presumably I’d need an ISP that I can dial up? Do you know anything about this?[/quote]

Oh, yes. I know all about. I know I started another thread about this somewhere, but I’ll explain the basics.

You just need a phone with internet capabilites (GPRS or some similar thing). You can get that setup through your service provider (Taiwan dageda, KGT, FarEastern, etc.). Then there’s a few settings that must be entered in to your PDA. After that (assuming everything went according to plan) you can check email, surf the net, MSN message and more all from the comfort of anywhere. :sunglasses:

So your phone provides you with your internet connection and your PDA connects to your phone via a cable, IR or Bluetooth (the coolest method).

Thanx dude.

'nother one for you:

All the mp3s I downloaded from the web, ie the illegal copies, will play just fine on the PDA and on my computer.

All the mp3s I have ripped from CDs that I own are a different story. They play fine on the computer, but the PDA stops and tells me I don’t have proper copyright protection. And I thought that you were allowed to make copies of music you own for your own use!

I’m guessing that the problem lies with the software I used to do it - Audiograbber. What is everyone else using that is different and why don’t I have it?

I tried using Windows media player, but it created .wma files - not mp3s. Sony provide their own software, which creates atrac4 files - whatever they are.

Before screwing around re-ripping 50 or so CDs I want to know that I’m doing it the smartest way this time. Any smart people out there with any suggestions?

I’m using XP-pro, btw, with an external CD player. My versions of both audigrabber and audiocrusher are older and don’t seem to work now.

A good (free) ripper for for Windows is FreeRip at:

mgshareware.com/

It encodes as either MP3 or Ogg Vobis. I ripped an MP3 yesterday and emailed it to a friend in Holland. He had no problem listening to it on his Nokia 7650.

I’d also assume that there would be a way to “covert” the mp3’s you already ripped so you don’t have to do the whole process again. I’ve never ripped and MP3 before.

Thanx guys.

I’ll see what works