Sony PSP purchased in Taiwan

My wife recently got PSP model 3007 as a gift as she will be joining me here in the States very soon. Her friends were very thoughtful as they knew she would be bored here in hick town USA.

I know absolutely nothing about PSPs. She says she needs some sort of memory card; special ear phones and games (cartridges?) that can only play using UMD 3.0?

So she needs to buy memory card in taiwan? will it work if we buy it here in the US? I’m assuming there’s nothing i can do about the games too? movies will need to be umd 3.0 compatible? How about software update? I guess I need to update certain versions for Asia?

I need someone’s guidance asap so she can purchase necessary stuff while she is still in taiwan.

thanks in advance!

The PSP uses little discs (UMD) instead of cartridges. You should be able to use any game on any PSP, it is possible to make a game only work in one region, no games do this to my knowledge. The Video UMDs will only work with a PSP from the same country, but they’re rubbish anyway.

It should come with a memory stick (MS Pro Duo) which will be enough for game saves, but you might want a bigger one if you want to listen to a lot of music or watch videos on it. Buy these from the cheapest country. Sandisk is a cheaper brand than Sony I believe. 1GB is pretty big and will keep you going for a while.

You can use any headphones on it. But again, it should come with some cheap ones.

You’ll have to check what comes in the package

There is no UMD 3.0, I think you’re confusing it with this being the 3rd generation PSP. Disks will work on all generations.

Make sure it is modded, this can make you life a lot better. :whistle:

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]The PSP uses little discs (UMD) instead of cartridges. You should be able to use any game on any PSP, it is possible to make a game only work in one region, no games do this to my knowledge. The Video UMDs will only work with a PSP from the same country, but they’re rubbish anyway.

It should come with a memory stick (MS Pro Duo) which will be enough for game saves, but you might want a bigger one if you want to listen to a lot of music or watch videos on it. Buy these from the cheapest country. Sandisk is a cheaper brand than Sony I believe. 1GB is pretty big and will keep you going for a while.

You can use any headphones on it. But again, it should come with some cheap ones.

You’ll have to check what comes in the package

There is no UMD 3.0, I think you’re confusing it with this being the 3rd generation PSP. Disks will work on all generations.[/quote]

My wife says she can’t plug in her normal MP3 head phones. I haven’t seen the hole on those things so I don’t know. Are you saying I can use SD memory cards for the PSP? I already have 2G SD memory cards. I thought Sony requires their own format?

She says that there’s no MS Pro Duo memory stick that she can see? Or do you mean it’s integrated?

So basically, if I want to watch videos, it’ll have to be purchased for Asian region {Other than modding}; however for games, I can simply purchase them here in the US. That’s another story. I’m personally not into games; however since we go this, I might as well research it as much as possible.

Thanks! Any more tips would be greatly appreciated.

The PSP doesn’t use SD cards, as you say, Sony uses their own format. The PSP uses Memory Stick Pro-Duo. It may have already been inserted, on mine it’s behind a little door on the left end, it may have moved on later generations.
You can also see it on the main menu, scroll across to “music” and it will tell you how much free space you have. If it doesn’t, there isn’t one inserted. You can also press triangle, select “information” and press circle and it will tell you more.

Maybe it’s possible they got a basic box with none of the accessories. The best place to get stuff for it is in the “City Mall”, it runs underneath Civic Bvld and is accessable from the north end of the mail Railway Station. Walk almost to the end and there are a couple of shops that deal in consoles. I think there’s a couple in Guang Hua market too.

You can copy videos onto your memory stick to watch on your PSP, but it can be tricky to convert them to the right format, even with free software that exists.

You’ll also want a USB cable for it to connect it to your computer.

I wrote a detailed response to this last night, but then Forumosa crapped out & ate it, so here’s the short version:

As stated, no you can’t use SD cards. Only “Memory Stick Pro Duo” cards, which apparently aren’t included with the U.S. version at purchase time - don’t know about Taiwan. You can probably find cheaper cards made by Kingston, Sandisk, or Transcend instead of Sony itself. 2GB and 4GB cards are available, but may be expensive. A 1GB card would only hold 1 or 2 full-length movies at decent quality though. If she doesn’t buy one in Taiwan, check Amazon.com & purchase in the U.S. instead. Best Buy probably has them, but they usually charge too much for that kind of thing.

You can use free software to encode any DVD or other video content on your computer into PSP-compatible format. Download “Handbrake” (handbrake.fr) or a similar program like PSP Video 9 & install it on your computer. Tell it where the source video is (DVD drive, downloaded video file, etc), choose the appropriate preset (select “PSP”), and click ‘start’ to encode the file. PSP plays “.mp4” files using the same video compression codec as iPod video (H.264, aka AVC aka MPEG-4 v.10), but uses a slightly different screen size. If you have iPod video files, you can re-encode them to PSP screen size using Handbrake as well (as long as they aren’t copy-protected). Load these files onto the Memory Stick & enjoy! This method and the now-standard Flash player (have to enable this in “internet settings menu”), can be very useful if she wants to download/watch TV shows or movies from Taiwanese websites, etc.

A lot of things that used to be “mods” now apparently come standard on the PSP, including web browsers, Flash player, Skype, etc. There are still probably tons of other things you could do to a PSP to make it more versatile, but sounds like it might not be worth the trouble.

Have fun :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone!

Sounds like the PSP that my wife got was barebones. What a pain to get the accessories. The miscellaneous stuff you have to get will probably end up costing just as much as the unit itself :raspberry:

[quote=“cestmoi”]Thanks everyone!

Sounds like the PSP that my wife got was barebones. What a pain to get the accessories. The miscellaneous stuff you have to get will probably end up costing just as much as the unit itself :raspberry:[/quote]You might be able to find some sort of accessories or starter pack, the things you will probably want are:
Battery (You should have one of these, but who knows?)
Power supply
Memory stick (Size depending on how much music/video you want to put on it)
USB Cable
Earphones with optional remote control (music control buttons built into cable) and/or optional microphone, 2nd and 3rd generation can run Skype, 3rd generation (yours) has a built in microphone
Games
Maybe some sort of case to protect it.
You can also get cables to connect it to a TV

After writing that list I think I can see why a barebones system would be a lot cheaper…

Look into getting it modded, which I believe you can do at Taipei Underground Mall (Underneath Taipei Main Station) for fairly cheap (certainly less than a price of 1 game). Games can be played off the memory stick and load much faster than using the proprietary disks.

In the underground there is a used video game store in the video games section. Cost like 300nt to get it modded. Completly worth it.