Soul Tunes

The Teskey Brothers from Australia.

Bettye Swann. How, just how, have I never heard about this singer until just recently? Accidentally discovered on YouTube.

4 Likes

Otis Redding with a great rendition of a Ray Charles’ classic.

3 Likes

Another one from The Teskey Brothers. My favorite comment from one of their songs (roughly):

“I’m black and that’s the sweetest piece of cultural appropriation I’ve ever heard.”

2 Likes

I only heard about the Teskey Brothers sometime last year. Love them.

Anyway, here’s some Donny Hathaway.

If you don’t know much about Donny Hathaway, don’t look too deep into him. It’s too depressing. Just enjoy the music and move on.

2 Likes

I know just a few of his songs. I’ll take your word about what might be a tragic personal life. I guess I can hear some deep pain in his voice now that you mention it. Like in this song.

2 Likes

Is the term “soul music” a UK or Australian term for US R&B music? IJA.

Similar, but not the same.

2 Likes

For me, I can’t tell you the difference between “R&B” and “soul” but I think I know it when I hear it. I’d say R&B’s just a general term that has evolved a lot over time. I’m surprised at the music being called “R&B” now. I still consider most of what you heard in the '70s, '80s and '90s to be R&B.

Take Anthony Hamilton. He obviously does R&B music but he’s got such a soulful voice. Jaheim too. Brian McKnight and Joe (2 random examples) can sing all the amazing love songs they want, but I’ll never really consider them “soul singers.” Can’t explain it. It’s in the timbre.

Anyway, this is Ricky Fanté. Enjoy.

2 Likes

Well, maybe it’s time to take a step back and consult with The Queen of Soul. Ignore the dancers.

1 Like

Can’t even imagine what it’d be like to hear her sing like that live. I know there’d be chills. Not even going to bother posting anything else right now. That’s enough.

1 Like
2 Likes

well in that case I call it “house cleaning/cooking Sunday dinner” music because that’s what I have on when doing those things.

Another young band that just kills it.

1 Like

Beautiful!

1 Like

Aretha’s sister showing how it’s done with this song made famous by Janis Joplin.

2 Likes

Oh, yeah!

Dang.

1 Like

Merry Christmas.

Love Donny Hathaway

1 Like

This one culminates to end with probably one of the most soulful songs out there.