Sound improvement needed for analog TV

I have an analog TV, local brand “Proton”. As far as vintage, can’t say, but it has composite (Y, R,& W) and coax connectors on back. No S-video, component, etc. Picture quality is fine, but the sound is unacceptable. For some reason, often the sound is too low to be reasonably audible. Oddly, during commercials and the especially violent parts of HBO when the studio turns the sound up, the TV is actually too loud. The problem often presents itself while watching DVDs. I posted a thread in the past about DVDs and sound. Didn’t help. Want to look at this from a different angle now.

Old fart jokes aside, I want to do something to boost the sound for this TV. My first option is to purchase a new, huge LCD TV with a surround-sound stereo system … but I’m not going to do that now. So, on to Plan B. I’d like to determine what is the simpliest and least expensive method of getting more volume from this analog unit.

I’m thinking along the lines of auxiliary speakers that can be simply connected, and maybe controlled by the same volume control for the TV. For the McGyvers in the audience, I have two old stereo speakers sitting idle that would be ideal if they could be reasonably connected (normal speaker wire to the W/R part of the TV’s composite connectors???).

If not that, then some simple add-on amplifier unit (using new or these idle speakers).

Any ideas appreciated.

Run the TV sound out through a compressor and into a stereo. Do you have any mates with electric guitars?

My dinosaurial TV has the same problem. I simply run the red & white (audio) rca cables from the DVD player to the stereo aux and the yellow (video) rca cable from the DVD player to the TV. It cuts all the output to the TV speakers, so all the sound comes through the stereo.

However, I don’t watch TV, so I don’t know if that would work for TV shows. I guess it wouldn’t.

I do the same as Sandman, and no, it doesn’t work for TV shows. Works fine for DVDs.

Which is kinda weird, when you consider that 10 years ago in Australia, I was able to control my TV via my VCR, with the sound coming out of the stereo. Why can’t I control my TV through my DVD player? (question directed at DVD player manufacturers not Forumosans).

I run my TV through the stereo too. See? I’m just the same as you guys. Really. And I don’t watch TV either. Unless it’s naked fema… nevermind.

All noted. Probably because McGyver was a favorite TV show of mine, I am still wondering … what would happen if I somehow spliced the R and W composite cables coming out of the DVD (or TV) directly into the speaker cables of the old extra stereo speakers that I have? (no stereo, just speakers)

No good. That signal would have to go through an amplifier before going to the speakers.

I wouldn’t recommend it. The red and white jacks are meant to hook into some kind of amplifier - be it TV, DVD, pre-amp, hifi, whatever. The center part of an RCA jack (the red/white ones) are the positive signal, and the outer is the earth. Splicing the RCA directly onto the speakers will overload the connection and possibly destroy it and the speakers (and maybe the TV/DVD).

You can pick up a set of basic speakers at any 3C for under $1000. Buying some would be my recommendation. Hell, if you find yourself down here in Changhua, let me know and I’ll give you some old ones I have that I don’t use.

[quote=“cfimages”]

You can pick up a set of basic speakers at any 3C for under $1000. Buying some would be my recommendation. Hell, if you find yourself down here in Changhua (Zhanghua), let me know and I’ll give you some old ones I have that I don’t use.[/quote]

He’s aready got speakers. It’s the amp he’s lacking. Unless of course you’re talking about speakers with built-in amplification.

Besides, if you’ve only got one red/white/yellow set of RCA jacks on your TV, seeker4, they’ll be for input, not output, so all of this is moot (no pun intended… OK it was intended).

Truth is, there’s really no way to solve this without taking your TV apart… unless you have a headphone socket on your TV. That could (conceivably) be fed into an amplifier and then on to speakers. BUT, this signal will probably have already been messed up by your TV’s amplifier anyway (so you’ll still get the inconsistent volume problems).

I’ve never tried the compressor option that Lord Lucan mentions, but it makes sense. Would be easier to just buy a new TV though (sorry to say).

You could try taking the back off your TV, pulling the leads from the speakers attached, and wiring them to the extra speakers you already have. If that improves the sound, drill a couple of holes in the back case of the TV, run the connected wires through it, hook up your new “auxiliary speakers” and put the case back on. Be very careful when you have the back off a TV. The picture tube can hold a serious electrical charge. Leave it unplugged for a day first and when you have the back off it, don’t touch the tube.

If the TV has stereo outs, it shouldn’t be a problem just wiring it to a third party amp and sound system.

I went through two of those PROTON tvs before I gave up and my buddy gave me his old SONY. I’ve got a broken PROTON in my closet you can have for free. I’ll pay you to haul it away!

[quote=“cfimages”]I do the same as Sandman, and no, it doesn’t work for TV shows. Works fine for DVDs.

Which is kinda weird, when you consider that 10 years ago in Australia, I was able to control my TV via my VCR, with the sound coming out of the stereo. Why can’t I control my TV through my DVD player? (question directed at DVD player manufacturers not Forumosans).[/quote]

DVD players don’t have tuners.

Get a DVD Recorder. :wink:

Seeker4, get a cheapish stereo amplifier and connect it between the DVD player (audio L&R out, i.e. white and red RCA jacks) and the speakers you have. Usher Audio has a simple stereo amp that isn’t too expensive and should have enough power. Actually I can’t vouch that they still have it as it’s not listed on their website anymore (as far as I can see, or rather not see it) but you may try at their shops. There is one at No.67 Kaifong St. near the main station and one near the South-East corner of Zhonghua and Zhongxiao Rd.

But remember this will only work for watching DVDs, not normal TV.

That’s correct. It will also have a separate volume control and possibly no remote.

I have also seen some AMC stereo amps at Daiichi (now Best) that didn’t look too expensive though I can’t recall the exact price. Otherwise just walk along Kaifong and Hankou Jie and pick one up there.