Sound proofing / studio foam / soundproof

I wonder if anybody here knows how to sound proof, or where to buy the material and cheaply, etc…

Let me know if you do.

Cheers.

Paul.

YES, GOOD question. God I’d love to ‘paint’ my walls with the stuff. My walls are thick, but can still hear the upstairs neighbors going at it at 5 in the morning. Don’t mind listening, but I’m sure they can hear us as well.

But for real, I’d like to find a small “sheet” of some sound proof to put between my two front doors. Neighbors have been nice about my loud music late into the night, but I’m sure they’ll finally get mad and draw the line. Would like to have some before then.

Let me know if you find anything.

oZzo

Erm, good luck!

Cheaply-built concrete apartment buildings have an inherent ability to transfer sound…

The cost of trying to fix the problem will probably outweigh the actual benefits. If you wanted to blow some dough, then install double-glazed windows and fit a sound-insulating material (e.g. “Wavebar”, blanket insulation or even ceiling or wall batts) in the ceiling, walls and floor. You could then fit another sheet of plasterboard to the walls… In short, unless you own the place you are living in, then it’s hardly worth the bother.

A better option might be to shut the doors and windows, seal any gaps (e.g. under the door) and run your airconditioner(s) to drown out the noise. You should be able to find door/window seals from a hardware store; they are simply a “furry” rubber, adhesive strip that you stick to the underside of the door.

Carpets, wall-rugs and heavy curtains may help, too.

It really depends on the purpose of the soundproofing. Are you trying to block out some neighborhood noise, or are you trying to make a music studio for recording? Talking and noise in an apartment is generally 50-60 dB, and you can also do something to block the high frequencies. Music playback in a studio is typically at 70-90 dB and standard soundproofing materials won’t do much to stop that kind of volume. My friend made a studio in a tall apartment building in Taoyuan and the architects basically covered the existing room with rubber, then built a new room inside the original room using soundproofing and sound reflecting materials. Luckily, he is on the top floor, so the roof was not as difficult to handle.

You can check out Soundproofing 101 for some information. The biggest thing they mention is that your walls are much better at soundproofing than your windows. [quote]Only AFTER your windows are as quiet as your walls, should you seriously consider installing additional soundproofing.[/quote]

Also check out: Soundpoofing advice from the midi guy

There’s a guy selling this foam stuff for on studio walls on yahoo auctions, saw it while browsing their musical instruments section and remembered this thread …

tw.f4.page.bid.yahoo.com/tw/auction/d9915558

Don’t know if this helps anybody … ?

I’m in the middle of making a home studio… I found the factory in Tainan/Khaohsiung that makes that studio foam in the yahoo pic above…
It doesn’t do density, you need good solid dense material ie. wall to stop the sound, but it sure as hell stops anything being reflected sound wise… it does do a great job diffusing sound and makes for a 100% dead sound area for studio purposes…

they sell it in 91cm x 152cm panels… in varying thicknesses from 1" to 2"… the most effective is the 2" thick type… they also sell it with and without an adhesive backing cardboard layer…

if you order over 10 panels it’s cheaper… the price they gave me was NT$310 per panel for the 2" without adhesive backing… they sell the exact same stuff in the B&Q for over NT$500 per panel…

again if you order over 10 panels they’ll deliver to your door…

the name is:
三廣環保科技有限公司
(san guang huan bao ke pi you xian gong si)
phone: 07-3163456
web: sun-grun.user.com.tw/main.htm

1 Like

where can I find some studio foams? I am trying to block out the window of my place from the noisy street below…

If you only need a sheet or two B&Q sell it in various thicknesses at rather inflated prices… (at least they have recently been selling it, but in typical Taiwan fashion products routinely appear and disappear from the product lines B&Q carry, so you’ll need to check) If you need more than 20 sheets I can give you the contact details for the factory that supplies B&Q but they only sell in large quantities…

I need to do some DIY soundproofing and need to find these materials.
Needless to say I haven’t been able to find.

Please help!

Thanks in advance…

oh by the way I live in Taoyuan city

come on guys, I’m desperate! please help…

Hi link, and welcome to Forumosa! :slight_smile:

People here are actually very quick (often just minutes or hours) to post if they know where to find something, so chances are that nobody knows where to get this stuff.

ah ok, thanks mate:)

I need locate someone in Taipei who is an expert in soundproofing ceilings so noise from the apartment above is dampened. (They don’t need to be English speakers…)

Thanks very much for any suggestions you can give!
Anchor

[color=green]title edited by mod for clarity[/color]

Are you thinking of putting in a suspended ceiling, with foam above it?

This doesn’t involve the expert you aske for, but this is about the only info I’m aware of on local sources for soundproofing foam – look hereunder “studio foam.” We had someone asking for rock wool or fiberglass (Taizhong) recently, but I don’t believe they got any answers. :idunno:

I don’t know. But I’ve been reading sites having to do with soundproofing. The main point is that you can try to put whatever you want between the ceiling above and your own, and it won’t make much difference because the sound passes through the structure (i.e. the concrete walls). So you need to create a suspended ceiling that won’t touch the ceiling above (by using girders and some type of resin that absorbs sound). Anyway, it sounds pretty technical, so I wanted to find someone here that knew about this. I would think there would be a large residential market for it (aside from those soundproofing experts who create recording studios, etc.)

Anchor

Allow me to necromance this thread.

Plasmatron, I am interested in knowing the factory if you’re still around these parts.