Sources for good information on Canada?

Considering that i’ve spent a good part of my life in Canada, i should reallly be better informed about what’s going on in that country.
This morning i came across some information about the Canadian government censoring scientists and librarians - something i find somewhat amusing (not only amusing, don’t get me wrong, but also amusing), considering how badly that kind of action backfired in the US.

foundationfordemocraticadvanceme … ip-by.html

techdirt.com/articles/201303 … vate.shtml

This gets me to the point of this post: there are some Canadians on Forumosa (and perhaps also some non-Candians familiar with Canadian affairs), and i hope to get a few links (personal recommendations) to sources of good information about Canadian affairs here. By “good information” i mean not “news” but thoughtful analysis and consideration of substantiable information that may not be available in “news”. And i don’t care about the format of such sources: anything you can recommend, whether it’s dissidents’ blogs, mainstream websites, or academic papers. Of course, i’ll continue to use search engines, but i have found in the past that personal recommendations help me get a better spectrum of ideas (= search terms), regardless of whether they match my own ideas (or, better, precisely because they tend to not match my own ideas)…

Thanks, eh…

:thanks:

It’s tough to find well-written material about Canada: I’ve never found anything near as interesting to read as British or American publications like The Economist or The Atlantic or The New Yorker. I don’t at all mean that Canada is boring: those other magazines will produce fascinating articles about topics that seem incredibly mundane. There are probably Canadian magazines that do something similar (Geist? Am I misremembering that?), but they’re just not as consistent in quality.

What I find best is I suppose the news that you don’t want: podcasts of CBC shows like “The Current” and “As It Happens”, or “Q” for that matter. I heard lots about the librarian censorship on the CBC. A few years ago I tried out a few RSS feeds on different Canadian reading material, but whatever they were, I’ve long since deleted them from my feed reader.

The CBC website itself isn’t that useful beyond the headlines.

A couple of the main figures at Boingboing have close links to Canada, so there are a surprising number of Canada-related posts on that site.

As a Good Canadian, isn’t one really supposed to be actually ignorant of everything else, than that sold to one?

What I really mean is that: while I am all for good reading; in matters of succinct reality, one must really doubt what one hears. Especially with regards to the internet.

Call me Ishmael,
but I far prefer:
the spoken word.

“Believe only half of what you see and nothing that you hear.”
The internet is hear.
Edgar was Right!

… or The Onion… but your comment triggered my brain and i remembered that there is a magazine called McLeans - i’ll see what kinds of leads i can get there…

Found it: geist.com/ - will see what i find there…

Well, it may not be exactly what i am looking for, but it might give me more ideas as to what to look for. :wink:

Found it: boingboing.net/ - they seem to have plenty of snippets on Canada stuff, that i can follow up on…

I guess this is a good bunch of leads to get started with… thanks!

I’d say the internet is a medium that makes it easier to connect me with sources of information and opinion, and to approach what i hear and read with a good amount of skepticism is a good idea regardless of what medium the delivery happens on. :slight_smile:

[quote=“yuli”]

I’d say the internet is a medium that makes it easier to connect me with sources of information and opinion, and to approach what i hear and read with a good amount of skepticism is a good idea regardless of what medium the delivery happens on. :slight_smile:[/quote]
Fair enough. Though, it is far easier for me to tell fact from fiction when exposed to body language. And far less tedious than having to read through mountains of drivel.