SpaceX launches

I can tell, my internet is pretty slow now, ‘Starlink’ sucks up a lot of bandwidth.

They will have thousands up there when done. Not everybody is happy with that since they are essentially occupying our shared resource , near space, and changing our view of the heavens.

CCtCap Demonstration Mission 2

Liftoff currently scheduled for:
May 27th 20:33 UTC
May 28th 04:33 CST

Mission Overview

SpaceX’s seventh mission of 2020 will be the launch of the Crew Dragon Spacecraft on its Demonstration Mission 2 (DM-2) to the ISS as part of NASA’s program for Commercial Crew Transportation Capability (CCtCap).

Mission Details

Backup date May 30th, the launch time gets about 20-24 minutes earlier per day
Payload Crew Dragon (C206)
Payload mass 9,525 kg (Dry Mass)
Crew Douglas G. Hurley and Robert L. Behnken (NASA)
Deployment orbit Low Earth Orbit, 212 km x 386 km (approximate)
Target ISS
Vehicle Falcon 9 v1.2 Block 5
Core B1058
Past flights of this core New Core
Launch site LC-39A , Kennedy Space Center, Florida
Landing OCISLY: 32.06667 N, 77.11722 W (510 km downrange)
Mission success criteria Successful launch and return of the DM-2 Crew

Stats

:ballot_box_with_check: 92nd SpaceX launch
:ballot_box_with_check: 84th launch of a Falcon 9
:ballot_box_with_check: 7th launch of the year
:ballot_box_with_check: 52nd landing
:ballot_box_with_check: First crewed launch from the US since 2011

2 Likes

Bump!

Why?
Last post was just 3 days ago.

I’m excited!

SpaceX

NASA

2 Likes
1 Like

Didn’t go well

1 Like

Wow. The guy knows how to set the table.

Planting this seed in our minds maybe:

he prototype that just exploded is meant to test out the design for SpaceX’s future Starship, a giant rocket the company wants to create to send people to deep space destinations like the Moon and Mars

I’m tired of Mars. Send robots. Who cares? The Moon is a different story. Mining asteroids is sooooo cool. Sticking them into Moon orbit to do it…cooler. Bring it on.

1 Like
1 Like

Interesting how touch screens have simplified everything.

2 Likes

Amazing how much media coverage spacex and NASA are getting for doing something they did back in the 1970s. :grin:

1 Like

Has it docked with the ISS yet?

Yes!

https://twitter.com/NASA/status/1267144838153211905

1 Like

I’m not sure if that’s a great idea in space.

“A loud clatter of junk music flooded through the Heart of Gold cabin as Zaphod searched the sub-etha radio wave bands for news of himself. The machine was rather difficult to operate. For years radios had been operated by means of pressing buttons and turning dials; then as the technology became more sophisticated the controls were made touch-sensitive–you merely had to brush the panels with your fingers; now all you had to do was wave your hand in the general direction of the components and hope. It saved a lot of muscular expenditure, of course, but meant that you had to sit infuriatingly still if you wanted to keep listening to the same program.”

Douglas Adams, HHGTG

1 Like

In a pinch, there’s nothing like muscle memory built up with physical controls.

That’s true. But I was thinking more in terms of someone sneezing on the touchpanel and causing a mission abort with an unlucky distribution of snot.

My Android touchpanel is unreliable at the best of times (unsurprisingly, when you consider how it works). EMI and moisture can bugger it up completely. Putting that sort of technology in an error-intolerant environment seems like a really bad design decision.

Although IIRC the Apollo missions had problems with bits of crap floating around in the switch contacts…

1 Like

Mission critical controls still have physical switches.

2 Likes