SPAM -- please do not use it for evil!

Do you actually like SPAM? (assuming you’ve tried it)

• Yes, very much!
  • Yes
  • Undecided
  • Not really
  • No, it’s gross
  • Never tried it, but would be willing to
  • Never tried it, and don’t plan to

0 voters

Any fans of SPAM here? I saw a can on the grocery shelf the other day, and brought it home just to show Dragonbabe where the term came from.

Just now I had a close look at the label (wondering what on earth you could do to SPAM to try to make it palatable), and noticed this, right below the directions on how to make a SPAMburger:

“So. Now you know another of the many secrets of SPAM. This knowledge carries much responsibility. It gives you the power to feed yourself and others. You wield a delicious skill that has far-reaching consequences. Please do not use it for evil.”

:laughing: :bravo:

I kid thee not.

Spam, or luncheon meat is very big here in HK. It is a major English influence on the HK Canto diet (an eternal debt). Check the can, was it via HK somehow?

HG

[quote=“Dragonbones”]Any fans of SPAM here? I saw a can on the grocery shelf the other day, and brought it home just to show Dragonbabe where the term came from. [/quote]You need to show her the Monty Python sketch to show her were the term came from (“egg and spam; egg bacon and spam; egg bacon sausage and spam; spam bacon sausage and spam; spam egg spam spam bacon and spam; spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam”), then the tin to show her what spam is.

Some sad person counted and the sketch includes the word “spam” 132 times. Hence it became the term for something repeated over and over again

:laughing: Yeah, I know. This was step one in her edification; that’s step two.

I’m assuming that Hormel’s SPAM marketing team decided that since SPAM (the slang) is here to stay, they might as well try to be hip and humorous with their marketing.

Does anyone have a favorite SPAM recipe? For real?

[quote=“Dragonbones”]I’m assuming that Hormel’s SPAM marketing team decided[/quote]They can’t do anything about it entering the English language (a la xerox, hoover, rollerblades), but they do try to stop companies using it in names of products, it’s still a registered trademark news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wale … 084002.stm

I attended the Taipei Food Show last week and there was a display booth just boasting the wonders of SPAM, and I have to say the booth was packed with onlookers and samplers. I, myself, had no interest in the display let alone the “stuff”. God only knows whats in there and I think it should stay that way.
To each his own…

I used to fry it up with veggies and garlick and spices and have it with noodles or on toast. I have a friend who likes the way his wife cooks it. I bet it would be good with Kraft dinner.

It’s really not that bad…

I bought a can of it when I was hiking in Peru and had it for one meal with noodles and eggs. It was excellent! The german guy wouldn’t eat it, though…His loss…

Try it again for the first time. It might be just the new taste you’re craving…I’m going to follow my advice the next time I go shopping. I’m hungry for it now…

This is evil:

This is more evil:

[quote]SPAM Cupcakes*
For cupcakes:
2 (12-ounce) cans of SPAM
3 eggs, slightly beaten
2/3 cup quick cooking oatmeal
3/4 cup milk

For glaze:
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 tablespoon water
4 cups prepared instant mashed potatoes

Cooking Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 F. For cupcakes, grate SPAM into a large bowl. Add eggs, oatmeal and milk; mix well. Lightly spray a regular size muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray. Fill each muffin tin two-thirds full with SPAM mixture. For glaze, combine all glaze ingredients in a small bowl. Heat 20-30 seconds in microwave until sugar is melted. Lightly spoon glaze mixture over SPAM. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until mixture is set. Meanwhile, prepare 4 cups of instant mashed potatoes. Remove cupcakes from oven and top each serving with instant potatoes. Heat broiler. Return muffin tin to oven. Heat 1-2 minutes or until potatoes are lightly browned. If desired, garnish with fresh chives or parsley. Makes 12 servings.[/quote]

Oh god, I think I’m really gonna be sick…

[quote]2000 San Joaquin County Fair 1st Place Winner
Dora L. Wilson

Chocolate SPAM Cakes

Ingredients:
1 (12-ounce) can SPAM Low Sodium
2 cups pancake mix
2 cups milk
2 tablespoons cooking oil
4 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons cocoa
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 eggs

Cooking Directions:

1. Chop SPAM into small chunks.
  2. In a separate bowl, mix pancake mix, cocoa, sugar and cinnamon.
  3. Add milk, eggs, vanilla and oil to bowl.
  4. Blend mixture very well, then add the SPAM.
  5. Spray griddle with non-stick cooking spray and heat on medium.
  6. Use a cup or soup ladle to pour about ½ cup of the mixture onto the griddle.
  7. Cook these pancakes as you would regular pancakes.
  8. Use your favorite syrup or jelly. They are also great by themselves.
  9. Mixture should make 8 to 10 pancakes. [/quote]

I understand that SPAM is very popular in the Pacific Islands. The U.S. military brought it with them during the World War I think. Lots o’ lots of polynesians are spam eaters.

A personal story regarding Spam. We were 8 people. 2 Adults, my parents, and 6 children all under the age of 13 - one was an infant. The folks decdied that driving from the Panama Canal Zone back to the U.S. would be fun - with 6 kids! So, they loaded up the Town and Country station wagon with the wood paneling on the side - total 70’s car, and off we went. It was Nicaragua in 1970, and we got into Nicaragua City very very late. Everyone was cranky, and HUNGRY, but the Hotel Restaurant was either closed or Dad too cheap to pay for a meal, so the folks dug through the cooler and came up with dinner for us - Orange Tang Drink, Pop tarts and SPAM (for protein). Have never forgotten that awful meal, and have had a grudge against SPAM since that time.

bodo

Those would go very well together, I imagine. What’s the problem?

:laughing:

Oh DB, I hated Tang with a passion. The purple Tang drink was particularly odious. I recall vomiting after having to ingest it. The pop tart part was a-okay though. :wink:

bodo

I was never able to eat Spam after being sick whilst on holiday in Seth Efrikka as a kid. The doctor gave me some white suspension stuff to make me barf, and what I barfed up was my last meal, obviously, of Spam on toast.

It took 28 years to get over my aversion to Spam. I can handle it shallow fried now. But frankly it’s muck. People only ate Spam because they had nothing else to eat. It’s up there with yesterday’s porridge and tripe.

Spam is only acceptable to me if included in a standard Brit-style greasy drunken breakfast.
Which I suppose is not much different that the fare offered in the Python sketch. Plus the following, all fried : bread, liver, tomatoes, chips, kippers, onions, & The King Of The Hill, Black Pudding…

The Original Bowel Basher :astonished:

We used to have Spam for dinner when I was little, but that was because we were on welfare and couldn’t afford things like a real ham until my mother could afford to go to business school and get a better job. As a kid, I liked fried Spam with a thick slice of Velveeta and squirt of French’s mustard on whole wheat bread, although all these vomiting stories and avatars have been turning me off from wanting to ever eat it again. :frowning:

When I went home with my best friend in junior high…okay, my only friend in junior high… her mom used to give us potted meat or vienna sausages with saltines as an after-school snack. And I loved Dinty Moore stew and canned corned beef hash. I guess if you had access to higher quality foods then you might turn your nose up at these things, but not all of us were so fortunate. Or rather, unfortunate.

You’ve never tried a Spam Musubi in Hawaii ? It’s really BIG there, and sold at all the convenience stores. Guess you can call it a type of “fusion food”.

Spam musubi
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Spam musubi made from Spam and rice.Spam musubi is a very popular snack or luncheon food in Hawaii made in the tradition of Japanese onigiri or omusubi. A slice of Spam is placed onto a block of rice and a piece of nori (dried seaweed) wrapped around the Spam-rice combination to hold it together.

Spam musubi is appreciated for its taste and portability. A single piece, wrapped in cellophane, can be purchased at small deli-type convenience stores all over the Islands, ranging in price between one and two dollars. Spam musubi rice molds are available at many kitchen stores in Hawaii. These molds are a few inches deep with a width and breadth that matches a slice of Spam.

Nope, never made it to Hawaii. I’d be willing to try one, of course – are they really good?

I was thinking I’d dice this can of SPAM, and stir fry it with chorizo, garlic and onions, then add eggs and cilantro, and roll it in a warm tortilla. SPAMex! :smiley:

[quote=“vw”]You’ve never tried a Spam Musubi in Hawaii ? It’s really BIG there, and sold at all the convenience stores. Guess you can call it a type of “fusion food”.

Spam musubi
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Spam musubi made from Spam and rice.Spam musubi is a very popular snack or luncheon food in Hawaii made in the tradition of Japanese onigiri or omusubi. A slice of Spam is placed onto a block of rice and a piece of nori (dried seaweed) wrapped around the Spam-rice combination to hold it together.

Spam musubi is appreciated for its taste and portability. A single piece, wrapped in cellophane, can be purchased at small deli-type convenience stores all over the Islands, ranging in price between one and two dollars. Spam musubi rice molds are available at many kitchen stores in Hawaii. These molds are a few inches deep with a width and breadth that matches a slice of Spam.[/quote]

Yeah, I think they also served it at McDonald’s as breakfast for a while.
Supposely during WWII, the food rationing introduced a lot of people in the state to
Spam, and the locals incorporated into their diet: Spam musubi, Spam fried rice, etc…

I’m from Hawaii and everyone eats and loves spam out there. McDonald’s even serves it with rice and scrambled eggs for breakfast. Delicious!

Spam musubi is also da bomb. Quick, easy, cheap, and convenient.

I was a pampered private school kid, but mom often packed Spam sandwiches for lunch. Except for all the salt and preservatives, I would eat it more often as an adult. Incidentally, “Pig Newtons”, Spam wrapped in pilsbury pop-n-fresh dough, and then baked are pretty goddamn good…and you can hold a lot of liquor after eating a few. I have also had Spam Musubi, and except for the plum paste, they weren’t too bad.
Damn, but I miss my Spam right now. The wife, family and neighbors feed me a lot of local Taiwanese pig plumbing, hooves, knuckles, lips and assholes, but at least Spam is familiar pig plumbing, hooves, knuckles, lips and assholes.

I saw this in a convenience store in Manilla a few months ago

I wish I had an image of what was on the back of the can. It was hillarious.

All I remember in my drunkin’ haze was the word “Spamalicious”

That was the word for the rest of my the holiday