Spam

Just bring a few cans the next time you travel outside the country.

1 Like

:popcorn:

https://youtu.be/duFierM1yDg

1 Like

Lots of Wellcomes and PX Marts carry it.
I bought a can about 10 years ago after re-reading The Thin Red Line (where they’re eating it on pretty much every :banana: page*) just for nostalgia (not having touched it since I was kid) and to introduce it to the fams.

It was SO :banana: salty, they took one bite and spit it out. I couldn’t even finish one slice. Utterly inedible.
I swear to :banana: I woke up in the night and there were like 4 cows standing around my bed licking me.
Thanks but no thanks.

*It was the US military presence in the South Pacific in WWII that created its ubiquity throughout the region, including it being a staple of Hawaiian cuisine. as well as many other weird factoids, and one or two bizarre Urban Legends

@Dr_Milker Do you have anything to say about this incident?

Just microwaved some spam at home. There must be other ways to prepare at home with convenient ingredients and preparation to taste better.

A key point is that spam can sit in the can until needed so adding ingredients needs to be similarity convenient.

Maybe add some sauce or dip?

His favorite “without a doubt, the best Spam I tried.”

Tocino flavor. It had an almost caramelized flavor that enhanced the Spam instead of dominating it. The only thing I can compare this flavor to is a delicious glazed ham. “tocino” [translates to “bacon” in Spanish] and that [tocino is a sweet, quintessential Filipino breakfast meat]

Just put it on a pan with some light oils. Cook till brown. Don’t microwave it, that’s gross.

2 Likes

Why is spam expensive? It’s salted meat!

Expensive? Can’t find my receipt.

What would be an acceptable price for a 340 gram can of salted meat!?

:meat_on_bone:

Spam is also good with instant noodles. Put some slices in there.

and fat. 120 NT$?

Thought this was mixed up with the “truest line you’ve ever heard in a song” thread.

Try the Korean spam at the Korean importer in Linjiang night market near Xinyi Anhe. I’ve seen it elsewhere. It runs for around 100NT and is pretty much as good.

What happens if anyone marks this thread as spam? Just wondering…

Then I gotta waste time dealing with it.

2 Likes

Spam sushi wrap in seaweed is one of the best ways to enjoy spam that I’ve experienced.

And Loco Moco Hawaiian.

Come to think of it… when I lived in Hawaii we ate Portuguese sausage at breakfast which is kind of like a cross between kielbasa, spam, and chorizo. It needs a good sear and perhaps some rice or grits to balance the salt.

I’ve made spam musuba (the Hawaiian spam sushi) here. Loved it. So did my gf.

1 Like

Maybe there’s some teriyaki sauce or something added before or during cooking.

1 Like