Spangles

A flattish square boiled sweetie with indents top and bottom. Assorted fruit flavours. Came in a tube. Weren’t very good. Fruit gums were much better, especially if they were the kind in the box and not the tube. The ones in the tubes were small and round, while the ones in the boxes were fruit-shaped. Forget the lime ones, though. They were shite.

I don’t know about well-informed, but my grandmother (who brought me up) brought home the Times and Telegraph every day and I had to read them and discuss articles with my grandfather, who was homebound due to illness. Obviously, I wasn’t discussing agricultural policy or glasnost at the age of 9, but yes, I guess it became a habit.

I was also allowed to read all the comics and magzines for free, but without damaging them in anyway so they could still be sold. In adulthood, it seems so decadent to buy a magazine for myself and fold, bend, tear it however I like. :rainbow:

Edit But I wasn’t allowed to eat sweets, pretty much EVER. Which of course meant that as soon as I was outside parental control, I was like a kid in a sweet shop. And my bathroom and closet thingy were full of dolls. Creepy.

So that’s why you’re so thick today, right?

So that’s why you’re so thick today, right?[/quote]

Oh, there are too many factors in play to list. Me mates all being as thick as mince being the least of it… I just have no-one to talk to about all my intellerjint idears.

I heard if you rub a rhubard & custard boiled sweet on “the sun” and eat it you will automatically have memorised the whole newspaper…is there any truth in this?

Maybe, but you become mentally retarded because of lead ingestation. And from reading ‘The Sun’ obviously…

And sandman likes the Fruit Gums in a box because he doesn’t know what flavour they are if they are round. That’s why he likes ‘Terry’s Chocolate Orange’- it’s orange shaped. No confusion.

That’s right. Tap it, unwrap it.

I am eating one at this very moment.
I am not lying.
It’s pretty fucking awesome, too, I might add.

Awww Chief, save me a slice?

Pfft, 'zif!

Nothing personal.
I’ve been keeping it in the freezer since Chrissie morning (bless me sainted Ma and her OXFAM box) and I’m rationing out a slice every two weeks.
Last year I gave the whole Jeebis thing to Lord Lucan in a fit of drunken Christmas spirit.
Stick around next year when I’m drinking, you may get lucky.

LOL, I’ll be married by then, not sure the Mrs will appreciate me getting lucky with or without a drunken Chief involved!

I am not lying.
It’s pretty fucking awesome, too, I might add.[/quote]
You know, don’t you, that if you eat no breakfast but drink a lot of dark rum on Christmas morning followed by an entire Terry’s chocolate orange in less than 30 minutes, your enusing puke will look exactly like a turd but will smell like Christmas pudding?
Well it’s true.

Good hint!

I am not lying.
It’s pretty fucking awesome, too, I might add.[/quote]
You know, don’t you, that if you eat no breakfast but drink a lot of dark rum on Christmas morning followed by an entire Terry’s chocolate orange in less than 30 minutes, your enusing puke will look exactly like a turd but will smell like Christmas pudding?
Well it’s true.[/quote]

And HERE’S one I prepared earlier!

[quote=“the chief”]
Stick around next year when I’m drinking, you may get lucky.[/quote]

It’s a real pity the chief only drinks once a year. I guess he saves a lot of money to buy chololate oranges though.

Incidentally I used to get a chocolate orange in my Christmas stocking every year, no matter what. Well, until I officially became an adult.

I used to get a proper orange. I also didn’t get a proper easter egg. I had to wait until the week after when I got a broken one that couldn’t be sold. :boo-hoo:

What about that sweet that was in the shape of and tasted just like a peanut? Mmm …

[quote=“Stray Dog”]What about that sweet that was in the shape of and tasted just like a peanut? Mmm …[/quote]Peanuts ? Do they still make them ?

Sweet peanuts. Yeah! They’re on that website, too. You can still get 'em.