Spanish Surfer Stabbed by 'Fishermen' in Kenting

Yes, that’s exactly what I thought. I haven’t gone through this entire thread and so missed those.

1 Like

Meta-stuff, feel free to skip:

Actually, I’m not even sure whether the articles I posted today are the ones that appear earlier in the thread. I only vaguely remembered seeing the local articles, and I didn’t remember where they were in this thread, so I just went to the Taiwan English News article at the top of the thread and got a URL from one of two links to Chinese-language articles in that English-language article (the other link had expired). Then I think I did some word-searches using the Chinese characters from the title of that article.

1 Like

I tried to search using the assailants names but their names are all Chinese equivalents of John Smith, Joe Bloggs etc.

This sentence is way to short and lenient. In the US, attempted murder usually carries a max life sentence upon conviction. This token sentence is ridiculously low and will probably be overturned on appeal or greatly reduced. Taiwan justice! Pfft.
—————————
ATTEMPTED MURDER
In California, the punishment for attempted murder, CA Penal Code 664 is nearly as severe as that for actual murder, CA Penal Code 187. In order to be convicted of attempted murder the prosecutor must prove the two elements of the crime beyond a reasonable doubt:

That you took at least one direct step towards killing another person
That you intended to kill that person
As is the case in all murder cases, a fetus is defined as a person.

If the prosecutor can successfully convince a jury that you are guilty then you will face severe charges. You can either be charged with first-degree attempted murder and second-degree attempted murder.

First-degree attempted murder pertains to cases that are willful, deliberate, and premeditated. If convicted of first-degree attempted murder you will face:

Life in prison with the possibility of parole
Victim restitution
Up to $10,000 in fines
No longer have the right to carry, own, possess, or acquire a firearm
A “strike” in accordance to California’s Three Strikes Laws
————————

3 Likes

What’s sad is we’re all so glad to have the sentence that’s been handed out. Everyone expected the fuckers to get let off.

6 Likes

And they are not in custody serving their time, yet. I’ve lived here too long, so I’m not holding my breath!

6 Likes

Any chance the policemen get punished due to their incompetence?

No

Forget it Jake. It’s Chinatown.

Fixed.

1 Like

Chinese Taipeitown?

Makes about as much sense as New Taipei City.

FTFY, the inverted commas around the word incompetence in case the fix was too subtle.

Are you implying that it wasn’t “incompetence” rather the fact that the police in Hengchun don’t move unless the triads give them the green light?

1 Like

Does Taiwanese police have an Internal Investigation Unit?

Sure. But ain’t nuthin gonna happen beyond perhaps a few demerits, if that. Most likely nothing at all.

Remember, you’re the same as the rest of us in the Taiwanese eyes, worthless foreign trash.

The only time we get extensive news coverage is when we throw banana skins out the windows of our cars, make stupid videos about EZ Taiwan girls, get into arguments on the MRT, tattoo our foreheads, etc.

There should have been non-stop media coverage of your case since the initial incident all the way through to the conclusion. There should be panels and talk shows discussing racism, cronyism, police incompetence and collusion, organized crime, marches of concerned citizens expressing outrage over your brutal attack, etc.

None of it happened because the Taiwanese as a whole don’t give a shit about us worthless foreigners beyond the ways in which they are able to use us for their benefits.

FYI, I have asked many, many Taiwanese about your case and NOT ONE of them was aware of what happened to you. I showed them one of the very few articles and all they said was 好可憐! Then it was back to their normal more important activities such as looking Facebook feed!

Nobody gives a rip about us!

6 Likes

You are asking a bit much here. None of that would happen in the majority of countries around the world.

News flash: They don’t care about other Taiwanese (outside their own family) either.

3 Likes

A few months ago I had an incident surfing in which a guy came to me screaming. He was claiming that I had jumped his wave when I didn’t. I told him that I would ask a friend if they have different rules here and that if he would agree with him I would apologize to him the following day. He came out of the water, flatted 3 tires of my car and left. The next day I came back to the beach, parked my car in a place where I could see it then I went into the water. 15 mins later this guy came stood out of his car and next to mine. I run outside, took my wetsuit off and put some sport shoes and when I was walking towards him I saw a flying object sent to me. The guy seemed to be holding something in his hand so with everything that happened I punched the guy. His friend then ambushed me from behind and I ended fighting 2 of them, then I finally put down on the floor the guy who flatted my tires and I let him go. At the same time his friend had just picked up a 10 kg rock and was coming towards me but he let it go when I stood in front of him. The guy never pressed charges against me probably because I had told him that eyewitnesses saw him flatting my tires, but many of his friends went to the police anyways demanding action. For two weeks I had police officers calling me from 3 different stations (they knew that the day before my tires had been flatted because I had visited them telling them about the tires and asking for a parking with cameras; they told me to go to another beach…), but what surprised me most is that the video that her friend took (she recorded everything from the beginning because they knew that I was going to do something and they wanted to record me, I think that they thought that I was going to just scream…) was cut to just before I got ambushed from behind, leaving out of the video a coward ambush from behind, me overtaking both of them, his friend taking a rock because he could not use his hands, his friend warning me that I should leave because more locals were coming and the stupid guy who flatted my tires trying to grasp my balls when I had him on a submission choke. The girl recorded the video to the end but it was cut to leave the embarrassing moments of the Taiwanese’s out. Proof that it was edited by the news is that the video shows me only from behind, but they published also a picture of me from the front that was taken from an unpublished part of the video.

After all these incidents I have no doubt that the police and the media are to protect Taiwaneses only, they are prejudices and the media is set to show a good images to the world of Taiwan, not the truth.

With all of this I don’t feel very safe here, but I have to remain here because my wife has her business in Kaohsiung. What I would never do is to buy property or expensive vehicles or investments here and plan my retirement in Europe.

1 Like

Wait you are still going surfing to the exact same beach? Are you suicidal?

The incident with the tires is in Taitung, but I have surfed already at jialeshuei a few times. I dont go there much because waves there are not too good, but I still go from time to time.