Spanish Surfer Stabbed by 'Fishermen' in Kenting

The op been surfing all day today and happy like no one, thanks to a typhoon by the Pacific.
I will not go on Tuesday and I didnt appeal because I was happy with the sentence.
I will still go to the lawyer’s appointment tomorrow and post relevant information here. A pict of this morning at 6 am:

10 Likes

Good man.
:paw_prints::paw_prints::paw_prints:

1 Like

I went to the free lawyer today and this is what I got:

• In the defendant´s appeal, sentence can only be reduced or left unchanged unless there is a change in the name of charge (ex: it goes from battery to attempted murder).
  • I could have appealed too (asking the prosecutor to appeal, but he has to accept and file) and then they could have their sentences increase. Problem is that I missed the 10 day deadline. However if their appeal gets granted and they lower their sentences, then I can appeal that reduction.
  • First appeal decision can take from 6 to 12 months.
  • Good to request the Judge of the civil case to get documents from the criminal case (it does not happen automatically). This may or may not wait for the appeals to end, but most likely it will wait.
  • If I would have end up tetraplegic in bed for life and mentally retarded they could give me between 1 and 2 million NT (holy molly!!)but if you can move and you just got not so severe injuries, like spine issues for life, you can get from 50k to 200,000k NT. A doctor appointed by the Court may be needed for inspection.
2 Likes

Reading this part makes me sad.

This part shows a danger to us all while living in Taiwan. If for example you were to have an accident because of someone else fault and you en up in a wheelchair, in some western countries you would collect a fortune that would allow you to ease many parts of your life (not all, some would get worse), but here you would, unless you have an expensive private insurance, be buried in misery.

5 Likes

Jesus Christ dude. I have enough shit stressing me out here already hahaha

6 Likes

yup. If you were from a North European country it would be better to return there and get sickness benefits etc. Basically don’t get “f…d up” here or yes life will be a living hell.

Insane stuff.

Good news, the 4 cowards lost their appeal in High Court. They are still getting 6, 5, 3.5 and 3.5 years for attempted murder. They may still appeal their last chance in Supreme Court, but their chances there are really really slim.

37 Likes

Too bad the high court didn’t increase their sentences for wasting the courts time.

I’m curious did they already start their sentences or they were released pending the appeal decision?

They are still outside. I think that if they use their last appeal they will remain outside until it gets rejected (beginning of next year or end of this one), and if they dont appeal they will go like in 2 months. I am going to learn about this a soon as I get some free time, then post it here.

I would say, too bad the court didn’t increase their sentences because they were too light in the first place. :2cents:

2 Likes

In Taiwan, both parties need to appeal for that to happen. They appealed, but the prosecutor didn´t (I couldn´t, I could just have asked the prosecutor, but I didnt due to ignorance on the matter), so they could give them the same or less. One of the 3 judges told the defendants that they should not have gotten the 1.5 year reduction each that they got due to turn themselves in, because at that time the police already knew who they were (if the prosecutor would have appealed they would have lost this). The prosecutor I must say was useless at best. On the 1st trial he begged me to stay silence, but thank God I didn´t and I was able to dispute their arguments and bring evidences. Without this they would not have been convicted. On the appeal the prosecutor didnt say nothing in Court, not even hello or bye. The only ones who talked were the judges, the 4 lawyers that the defendants had and me.

2 Likes

Is Taiwan similar to the US where sometimes appeals backfire and the judges actually increase the prison sentence? Hopefully that happens here.

Whatever the eventual outcome , you certainly have won my utmost respect for perseverance. I sincerely hope that you can at least take away from this terrible experience , the decision you made was the right and honorable one . Bravo and I wish you well @NachoPR

9 Likes

Sure happened to He-Who-Cannot-Be-Named…

1 Like

@mad_masala?

2 Likes

Why does it turn my “be” into italic? I just separated it with _ like all the other words. Is this some new kind of censorship?

One day he’ll be recognized as the Nelson Mandela of the Flob.

#areyousoblindthatyoucannotsee?

2 Likes

I was kind of wondering about that, but I just chalked it up to it was you.

-be-

_be_
be