Spanish Surfer Stabbed by 'Fishermen' in Kenting

To the OP
As the sentence is out by now, are you concerned about the safety of yourself and your family ?

1 Like

Seems all the talk of no justice in small town Taiwan was a bit premature?

3 Likes

Tbh I expeted the worst outcome for OP.

3 Likes

The verdicts make sense, and I’m relieved to see that Taiwan’s judiciary was rational here.

I mean, 4 locals with prior drugs and prior assault convictions stab a foreigner for the flimsiest of reasons. The OP was lucky to escape with his life. It was very nearly a murder.

I am glad that Taiwan’s judiciary realizes these 4 men must pose a real danger to Taiwanese citizens, too.

4 Likes

It’s Pingdong we were talking about. This looks like a good result.
The priors of the assailants probably went against them.

No. They are cowards or they would not have needed so much help (8 hands, 4 weapons) and I don´t fear this kind of people.

It was not, I always said very clear that I did not have experience over the judiciary system in Taiwan and that the judges could still bring justice. However I always said very clear as well that the police who acted in this case (over 12 in Hengsun) were and are corrupted to the core and should not be allowed to be cops.
The judiciary system is very important anywhere, without a good one no place can prosper. The police force is important too and here Taiwan faces a problem. I have seen two criminal police cases in Kaohsiung where the police just did not want to work, not to mention the many traffic police interventions that we all witness every day. They seem to be useless at best.
I am glad that the judiciary system worked in this case and I am inclined to think that most other judges in Taiwan are fair as well. This will keep benefiting Taiwan and its people.
I recently watched a documentary about the beginnings of the US and something hit me when I watched it. Many great companies were facing serious competition that got personal to their bosses. Instead of using sabotages or else like it happens in many poorer countries, they kept abiding the Law and focus on improving themselves. This following of the Law made them prosper beyond imagination at the time. Without a good judicial system this would not have been possible.

12 Likes

Is there any chance that the punishment can be converted to a fine in this case?

If they appeal a new judge will rule and this can give them more or less time. So they chance it.
They offered me to settle for money and I said no. They told me that it could take years for me to collect money and I said that it is ok and that they needed to be punished so that they didnt do it again.

13 Likes

Screw them man.

3 Likes

I am sincerely happy for you man. Also surprised, in a very good way.

1 Like

Good to hear that they are going to jail, which is what they deserve really. I also hope they pay some juicy compensation. They or their families or their gangs.

There’s something I didn’t get though. It seems that they turn up themselves at the police station? and that they even brought their weapons when requested to do so? that’s weird.

Also… if you didn’t have any proof against them (as in video recordings or witnesses), how come they didn’t just say “hey, it wasn’t me”?

They turn themselves after learning that the police called the home of the owner of the car they were driving (the sister of one of them). They used cane supports as weapons and they had many (I counted 14), they brought with them 4. The police did not search their homes or cars for more supports. They instead asked for my DNA to prove that it was not on the canes they brought.
There was one witness who came for rescue and saw all 4 of them in action hitting me with the weapons in both, hitting and stabbing fashion, and I am a witness too.
The many wounds were evidences too, as it was a 3 cm deep wound, 1cm wide, that stopped 1 cm from the heart.

Oh wow this must be the most liked post ever on this site :rofl:

1 Like

Thanks for telling us about the judgment. It’s encouraging that the court recognized the grievous wrong done to you. I hope you also get compensation for your injuries.

I checked today (sorry for breaking my promise to check yesterday), and I still don’t see the judgment on the Judicial Yuan’s site. Given what @tando and I seem to have observed recently–that is, a few days’ gap between the rendering of a judgment and the posting of it online–I’m guessing the judgment will show up online in the near future.

Again, thanks for the information, and I wish you more good outcomes in the future.

2 Likes

“canes” as in “fishing rods”?

so the reason why it was possible to prosecute them is because you could identify them and knew their car’s plate, and that there was another witness who could identify them too.

I’m glad that you made it and that they will be punished.

1 Like

Fishing rod holders that looked like this:

They told me that on August 10th they will send written notices to all parties. Maybe they wait until that time, but the sentencing was 2 days ago in the afternoon. I was asked if I wanted to go, but they said that just calling the clerck would be enough and that not even the defendants or their lawyers would show up, so I just called.

1 Like

Yes, those were the weapons they brought (well that´s what they brought with them, they were either washed before this or better yet switched with any of the ones they had).
Before the attack the police had been in the scene because someone called the police about these fishermen who seemed to be looking for trouble and fishing in a prohibited area. I was surfing while this happened, but the police got their plate number.
Different factors played in role as to how come the got convicted but the witness identification (I must say that this witness was a true hero that day as he came for rescue screaming loud and angry at the attackers and making them stop. I had been doing ok until just before he showed up as I had been stabbed in the lung and I went from being standing up blocking all hits with my arms, to been on my knees with my lungs not working well and not getting enough oxygen; at this time I was surrounded and lost control of their position; they had already started to hit me through the back so it was a matter of a short time before they could finish me). As I said many factors influenced the sentencing but two eye witness testimonies, the wounds, broken wetsuit, police recognition that they had not done their jobs properly by not taking pictures of my body, not searching their cars or homes, not investigating much (especially the investigators), defendants change of testimonies (the last one they recognize that they waited for 2 hours to talk to me, came to talk to me with weapons in hand in case I was violent and only one attacked wishing to hurt, not kill while the others watched. This testimony did not match the witnesses testimony and neither with the wounds done; they were trying to have one guilty instead of 4 with a lesser charge. Coincidentially the one assuming blame was the one with the free lawyer, so I assumed that he was planning not to have money when paying restitution to the victim. This testimony at least doesnt claim what their first had in which they claimed that I had run to them to hit them with my board, they changed this testimony the moment they got a lawyer, so I am assuming as well that their lawyer help them in the crafting). Other factors influenced as well (the owner of the car lying on the stand, doctor´s testimony, medical records, other witness who described the attackers on a police man´s mini video camera, recordings of the police man´s video camera, etc…).

12 Likes

Will anything be done about the crooked Police/Investigator?

4 Likes