Spas ... the boom and new way to swindle people

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003326670

They (the mob probably) has found another way to get to their money …

I guess that you just have to throw enough money in, make it look luxerious and sell overprized beauty products … anyone can open a Spa … oh, and call it ‘BUTYSHOP’ as the one near Breeze on Fuxing rd.

Yup. One of the first funny photos I took here:

Yea, spas are the new egg tarts, coffeeshops and English schools. There are so many of them now. They are the newest fad and as always everyone jumps in and copies each other until the market is oversaturated and quality goes down.

"Tips for protecting yourself at spas

• Don’t sign any documents or buy anything."

guess that should cover it!

Superb! :bravo:

HG

I can’t think how many times I’ve seen that played out here.

I once knew a Taiwanese businessman who sunk several million NT dollars into an English preschool. When I asked if he might be laying out too large a capital expenditure, he said something like, “You don’t understand. If it looks good, people assume it is good. It doesn’t matter what the teachers and books, etc. are like.” His curriculum was crap, but boy did he pack them in.

Better wear goggles if you’re going to a spa.

The yelling at naked people thing is a new twist, though. It’s almost the reverse of the vanity marketing at wedding photo places - “Those are the only photos you want to buy? But look at how beautiful you are in this one - and these ones too!”

HG[/quote]
I have a marriage visa so I don’t need a work permit. And I think I may have just found my vocation.

Three chip buttys and a bacon and egg sandwich please.

YOU, YA FAT BASTARD! HOW ARE YOU EVER GONNY FIND A BOYFRIEND LOOKING LIKE THAT? JESUS CHRIST, MAN! EVEN YER CELLULITE HAS CELLULITE!

Was going to say! One more ‘t’ and that’s a good night out where I come from…

Ah! A northerner?

HG

I thought the spa fad had come and gone? In Hsinchu the latest is to open authentic Thai. massage parlours. They have Thai. art and wooden elephant statues so I’m sure they are authentic.

I have heard from one guy who spent a week laid up in bed (after visiting one on Beida Rd.) that they don’t quite have the ‘twisting your head’ technique quite perfected.

[quote=“kelake”]I thought the spa fad had come and gone? In Hsinchu (Xinzhu) the latest is to open authentic Thai. massage parlours. They have Thai. art and wooden elephant statues so I’m sure they are authentic.

I have heard from one guy who spent a week laid up in bed (after visiting one on Beida Rd.) that they don’t quite have the ‘twisting your head’ technique quite perfected.[/quote]

Yeah right, copies from China would be better thinking …

[quote=“belgian pie”][quote=“kelake”]I thought the spa fad had come and gone? In Hsinchu (Xinzhu) (Xinzhu) the latest is to open authentic Thai. massage parlours. They have Thai. art and wooden elephant statues so I’m sure they are authentic.

I have heard from one guy who spent a week laid up in bed (after visiting one on Beida Rd.) that they don’t quite have the ‘twisting your head’ technique quite perfected.[/quote]

Yeah right, copies from China would be better thinking …[/quote]

My sarcasm is not so obvious.

Yes, a northerner and fiercely prou… well, I didn’t have any say in the matter.

I hate Thai massage. My spine is what connects my head to the rest of me so it is fairly central to my future plans. It doesn’t naturally twist itself backwards, so why would I pay to have someone do it for me?

Cuz it beats scraping your back with a bone till it bleeds or grinding knuckles in your feet till you can’t walk (Taiwan massage)? :s

I think the TT article is largely just sensationalism to fill space in their paper. Spas may be a waste of money, and if you’re fat or ugly they won’t change that, but I’d bet the instances of abuse are no greater than in any other business in Taiwan. Yes, they are the new egg tart, but if that’s what women (including mine) want to spend their time and money on, I guess it’s their choice.

Can anyone else see a correlation here? First came the egg tart wave, now it’s the healthy spa . . . BUY fatty produce shops ahead of the demand pick up!

HG

…and still enough change from a quid to catch the matinee at the flicks…

Got free spas at alexsander when I signed up myself and my so.

I think spa is a gay thing so I have not used it, but my bether half spend money on spa instead off using the free ones we have at alexsander. :loco:

Sanchong is too far away from Taipei main station I gues.

HG[/quote]
I want to see a video of this! Hmmm, that would also be another way to make money out of this kind of business.