Speak English!

Hard to imagine that happening in California, but OK.

Yeah, LA wouldn’t be the first place to come to mind, but well, the old woman vid is there. The one with the Spanish looking prick complaining about customers speaking Spanish is… New York xD

EDIT: and the 7 eleven clerk video is in Tampa. LOL.

I moved from years of work in US still unable to hold basic conversations in English.

I have lived it since the first time I went to the States… over 30 years ago. South mostly, but also visiting folks East.

Did you work in an English-speaking environment?

yes

Just after the Brexit referendum a Polish guy got killed by a single punch ostensibly for speaking Polish. There was more to it than that, of course.

People in the UK often get funny about hearing different languages on their soil. Odd, because limeys tend to shout loudly in English when they’re abroad.

Two places I’ve never been. Doesn’t make me especially want to go there.

She was sawing in an illegal clothes factory in a house were 30 other Philippinos were enslaved, or she told me once by PM. Please DO NOT tell anybody, don’t mention it on the thread.

1 Like

To be fair to the professor, I bet they were speaking Chinese pretty loud.

2 Likes

Was it because English is especially difficult for speakers of your native language, or were there other factors?

If ther eis no need, you shouldn´t force them.

Learning is all about going out your confort zone. Language learning is doing so in a safe environment, L+1, wat you know plus something else. It must have a purpose. Th epurspose is not “learning English”, but rather readinga recipe, following instructions to open a phone card, negotiating a car rental.

Do kids here need to use English to figure out a game? Learn more about llamas, quasars? Follow their favorite artist on Twitter? Until they enjoy English and they can perform what they want in English, it is a dead tool.

1 Like

Exactly.

The issue in here is not really these students speaking Chinese, but rather being loud in a public area. Had they been more conscious with their surrounding, then they would have not attracted such attention.

What I have notice with Chinese is that they always love being in a groupie, then being so loud. That actually annoys me a lot. Not sure if this is true with Taiwanese but I just assume, when I was in States and in Philippines, that these groupies are from mainland.

it may be due to lack of my will to improve my English, and some improved skills to communicate without using much of verbal conversations.

Rocket?

Xerophytes, I think you mean group?

Taiwanese learners, both kids and adults, are notoriously loath (see what I did there?) to converse with each other in the second language, and are far less likely to do so for practice that other nationalities, in a combination of fear of making mistakes, the dreaded Deru Kugi Wa Utareru syndrome, and the fact that they find it prohibitively 奇怪.

I prefer both at the same time.

1 Like

It is a stereotype of the Cantonese.

I think the instructor should be cut some slack. She has to correct their copy and paste wiki papers.

1 Like

On the one hand, yes the students should try practicing English in their free time. On the other hand, no one elected the professor to be language police and hound students for things outside of class and unrelated to their course work. She had a history of these emails, so it seems she had a particular problem with it. I don’t like seeing my younger students smoke outside of school. But you can’t act on every pet-peeve you have. In the end, it’s not your business. She overstepped her bounds. She shouldn’t be fired however. That’s the faculty overreacting and also overstepping their bounds. Softly reprimanded and told to butt out, would be the sensible and fair approach here.