Speak English!

I’ve sort of given up on trying to punish plagiarizers in my classes as it’s always a good third of the class that thinks it’s okay no matter how many times they’re instructed that it’s not.

It’s an instant fail with me. I make it absolutely clear from the start that it will mean fail.

1 Like

I should clarify because my previous post made it sound like I ignore it completely. I still make them rewrite the papers, but I don’t give them a zero on it anymore. It’s just too endemic, and I don’t want them blasting me on D-card because I failed them for something they’ve been doing for years under Taiwanese teachers.

Don’t worry. It’s a minefield.

When I took my master’s a Chinese student asked me to proof her work. I immediately saw that it was a cut and paste job and advised her to rewrite it.

She didn’t. The professor in the UK let it go. Oxford University.

1 Like

Ugh… that’s disheartening.

It’s how things are now.

That would require some independent initiative by the Chinese speaking students which is about as easy as to train an elephant to walk quietly through a library.

Or a Bull In a china shop ? :grinning:

1 Like

It is completely true. I hate doing that and I judge TWese people who speak English to one another. It’s vain af and major cringe to speak English when there’s no need to.

Anyway, Chinese students DO stick together and their English is horrid. It’s hilarious.

i highly doubt westerners at all the language schools in Taiwan speak Mandarin Chinese to each other in the break room of their school. It’s called a break room for a reason - you’re taking a break from something you’ve been doing a lot. School hallways can be considered like a break from class.

I think Taiwanse ppl (as do other Asians) do that as well but usually to a lesser extent, though I can’t say I’m sure because I tend to avoid other TWese ppl when I’m overseas.

chinese privelege…

You would be damned to piss of chinese netizens, they are the most butthurt class in their category.

2 Likes

it is not just Chinese students.

I have a non Asian coworker whose English is as crappy as mine. He wrote a lengthy report in decent English last week, but it was a random copy and paste of whatever he found on some keywords with no structure. It can be summarised in a page. It passed his boss and went somewhere.

1 Like

As something as lame as saying you prefer Taiwan to China will set them off into a butt hurt frenzy let alone more “offensive” things that could be said which would ignite a tidal wave of butt hurt.

I think it was blown out of proportions - the email circulating around social media - that forced the administration to take a big action. Otherwise, it would have been handled internally. or maybe, they did inform her regarding the emails, but she still insist on sending these emails.

Quite possibly. I don’t buy her line that “two faculty members” complained to her about the Chinese students. That sounds too convenient. I’d bet a lot of money it was just her, and she didn’t want to cop to it.

So true. Chinese netizens make regular American SJWs seem like rank amateurs when it comes to the online outrage-and-destroy game.

Just saw this on Reddit and thought it fits well here. Brazilians in England getting yelled at for speaking Portuguese.

https://mirrorbot.ga/mirrors/akndq0/

I would bet she’s pro brexit!

1 Like