Speed date or arranged date

Hi,

I’ve just arrived in Taipei a couple of days ago and would like to know how to get to know people. I’ll be here for a year and keen on having a Taiwanese BF. According to a Taiwanese granny (who just stepped next to me while having my lunch) said that I’m very pretty but everyone has their own likes and dislikes.
So where and how can I start dating in Taipei?

Thank you for your suggestions in advance.

btw wea are u from?

OK cupid

[quote=“LYT12”]Hi,

I’ve just arrived in Taipei a couple of days ago and would like to know how to get to know people. I’ll be here for a year and keen on having a Taiwanese BF. According to a Taiwanese granny (who just stepped next to me while having my lunch) said that I’m very pretty but everyone has their own likes and dislikes.

Thank you for your suggestions in advance.[/quote]

When a Taiwanese person tells you that you are pretty, don’t take it personally ! “You are pretty” or “Ni hen piaoliang” is best translated by. “You are a foreigner, I want to say anything to you just to start a “conversation”, you look different from us Taiwanese, are you a movie star, because you have the same skin colour and nose size as Angelina Jolie ?! Wow your hair is not black ! etc. etc.”

[quote=“LYT12”]Hi,

There is no set rule for this. Of course there is always the bar scene, but that can often have a grotty edge to it.

Maybe take some Chinese classes at a university and try to hook up with a student? There’s a lots of them hanging around uni campuses, or so I hear!

[quote=“BigJohn”][quote=“LYT12”]Hi,

There is no set rule for this. Of course there is always the bar scene, but that can often have a grotty edge to it.

Maybe take some Chinese classes at a university and try to hook up with a student? There’s a lots of them hanging around uni campuses, or so I hear![/quote]

tried that twice. No luck.

Central Europe.

[quote=“pgdaddy1”][quote=“LYT12”]Hi,

When a Taiwanese person tells you that you are pretty, don’t take it personally ! “You are pretty” or “Ni hen piaoliang” is best translated by. “You are a foreigner, I want to say anything to you just to start a “conversation”, you look different from us Taiwanese, are you a movie star, because you have the same skin colour and nose size as Angelina Jolie ?! Wow your hair is not black ! etc. etc.”[/quote]

Thank you. It helped. But why do they want to take my photo? I still find it weird.

Cos you look funny :smiley: . It’s like taking a photo with Pochahontas.

As for your original question: there’s no such thing as speed dating here because people misunderstand the concept (they think it’s some sort of hookup party). Online matchmaking sites are very popular because everyone spends their entire waking life at work or in traffic, so I’d give that a try first. You’re unlikely to meet likely candidates in your daily life because the average Taiwanese guy is painfully shy, especially around foreign women. There’s a whole thread on that somewhere.

Also, make friends with the local middle-aged women in your neighbourhood. They will have a whole rolodex full of single male relatives they’ll be happy to introduce you to.

Cos you look funny :smiley: . It’s like taking a photo with Pochahontas.

As for your original question: there’s no such thing as speed dating here because people misunderstand the concept (they think it’s some sort of hookup party). Online matchmaking sites are very popular because everyone spends their entire waking life at work or in traffic, so I’d give that a try first. You’re unlikely to meet likely candidates in your daily life because the average Taiwanese guy is painfully shy, especially around foreign women. There’s a whole thread on that somewhere.

Also, make friends with the local middle-aged women in your neighbourhood. They will have a whole rolodex full of single male relatives they’ll be happy to introduce you to.[/quote]

I wish I was like Pockahontas. More like this: google.com.tw/imgres?q=puli& … 7,s:0,i:89

Thank you for the advice.

May I ask why you moved to Taiwan? Work, school, or personal? Work or school, just hang out with co-workers or classmates and you’ll develop a group. If it’s for personal reason or to get away, try taking some courses and meet people that way. Making friends out of no where will be difficult and it always best to have a mutual friend or have someone introduce. Also, theres the clubbing scene but I dont know if you’re interested in that and usually the guys arent THAT shy but then again I wouldn’t know since im guy and doesnt usually get hit on by other guys lol. Either way, welcome to taiwan and if anything you could always make friends in this thread and we can introduce you to people, we wont bite :smiley:

If you visit the Hsinchu area, I can show you around.

Personal.

I like the idea. Thank you.

[quote=“Chopper”]Also, theres the clubbing scene but I don’t know if you’re interested in that and usually the guys arent THAT shy but then again I wouldn’t know since im guy and doesnt usually get hit on by other guys lol. [/quote] :laughing: Not my cup of cake, thank you.

Are you sure of the “no biting” bit? :ponder:

i’ll date you. i’m poor though so you’ll have to pay for EVERYTHING

That was a few years ago but yeah there’s some interesting things happening or could happen or happened. Or so I’ve heard.

Now a lot more arranged date than speed dates although there are some recent speed dates popping up. Or so I’ve heard.