Speedos

God. I think they should be illegal. The only thing worse than having a guy in speedoes standing where his goods are at your eye level is having him play with his speedoes while standing there. The guys here who wear speedoes seem to have a penchant for fondeling the seam around the crotch. Please, anyone, come pluck out my eyes.

This matter were discussed days ago on infamous PTT.

Someone said every male he saw was wearing boxers, instead of Speedo.

Somehow everyone here, generally was rocking speedo.

I’m kind curious, that its hard to find boxers that had straps,

you dont want that piece sinking to bottom of pool, do you?

My kid has been having a battle with his gym teachers the past 8 years in the Taiwan school system. He likes to wear baggies, but everyone else is wearing tighties. The school has pressured him every year to buy tighties for swimming class. The teachers have even stated that baggies are not swimming suits.

Finally, earlier this year one teacher explained that the baggie suits could cause injury to other swimmers in the pool.

No, I do not understand this explanation. :s

I guess I should elaborate. I am not at a pool. Yes, these people have come up from the beach. But about 1/3rd of them have put on shirts or such. The rest of them are still running around in thier undies.

[quote=“Tigerman”]My kid has been having a battle with his gym teachers the past 8 years in the Taiwan school system. He likes to wear baggies, but everyone else is wearing tighties. The school has pressured him every year to buy tighties for swimming class. The teachers have even stated that baggies are not swimming suits.

Finally, earlier this year one teacher explained that the baggie suits could cause injury to other swimmers in the pool.

No, I do not understand this explanation. :s[/quote]

Those baggies outfits would drag you slow in the water I supposed.

I wear speedos in the pool all the time, because I like to swim faster…XD

If ‘baggies’ have an inside mesh liner then they are swim wear.

I’ve had boxer(?) experience before, the soaking baggy boxer was the nightmare.

Those boxers werent made for exercises in the water, that’s my conclusion.

[quote=“Tigerman”]

Explain to this teacher that your son cannot wear tighties because if he does he’s likely to get arrested by the fashion police. :wink:

Well, most of the guys here (the surfer guys) wear trunks. Thank god. It is the non-surfers who wear the tighties. Which is ironic. Cuz honestly, i doubt I would complain as much if a bunch of hot bodied surfer boys were running around in them.
I would still complain. But it would be more a a sitting back with a fruit drink and a cigarette complaining instead of this desire to burn my eyes out complaining.

Take for instance Erhu’s avatar… I would be complaining but it would so not be too serious.
Oh who am I kidding.

[quote=“Erhu”][quote=“Tigerman”]

Explain to this teacher that your son cannot wear tighties because if he does he’s likely to get arrested by the fashion police. :wink:[/quote]
I thought baggies isnt so in anymore.

Look at those skateboarders they even start to wear girl jeans

:noway:

[quote=“SDPhatcat”][quote=“Erhu”][quote=“Tigerman”]

Explain to this teacher that your son cannot wear tighties because if he does he’s likely to get arrested by the fashion police. :wink:[/quote]
I thought baggies isnt so in anymore.

Look at those skateboarders they even start to wear girl jeans

:noway:[/quote]

I’ve never personally known a guy who wears speedos, but they’re popular in parts of Europe, right? Maybe speedo-phobia is just a N. American thing.

If you like them, then go for it! :slight_smile:

I only wear baggy jeans/pants/shorts, but when I was in the pool swimming for daily exercise, speedo would be my choice… :laughing:

Interesting timing starting this thread, SuchAFob.

I went to a local swimming pool yesterday (for the first time) and wore my (made for swimming) baggies. I was told I could not enter the pool with them. Oh, and my 16-month-old son was not allowed in either cos he had baby baggies.

Needless to say I will not be going back.

Oh, and by the way, I was given some lost propery (I think) tight lycra cycling short-type things to wear and my son was obliged to wear some disposable baby trunks, which we had to pay for (not much, but it’s the principle).

So the reason? No feckin idea. I was a full-time lifeguard for 5 years and I cannot for the life of me figure out why they would not allow me to wear my baggies. Incidentally, if it was because that pool was serious about people coming in and swimming, you couldn’t tell. They had 5 swimming lanes… two cordoned off for lessons and the other three with a mixture of really slow swimmers and faster ones. I tried swimming in the fastest one (I should really say “least slowest”) and I gave up after 4 lengths.

I was fuming. I’ll ask my wife the name of the pool and post it here so you can all avoid it like the plague.

Same story here; I go with the long biking shorts/swimsuit these days.

I used to live in France for a while, and over there it’s speedos only if you want to go in the pool. The reason the swimming pools gave was that you could wear your ‘baggies’ to do other stuff in, and therefore they could be dirty. However as no one in their right mind would be seen dead taking a stroll in their speedos or taking out the rubbish, so they would be cleaner!

I think the pools must be concerned about pubic hair floating around and clogging the filters or something. They get especially anxious when they see foreigners? I don’t know…

Maybe they think the spandexy - lycra swimsuit will contain all the icky stuff better…

Those of you who know me, know that I do not have a “swimmer’s body”. Nonetheless, my whole family swam like fish… I was never on a swim team, but, I practiced with several on which my sister competed. She used to swim 100 lengths for “warm-up” (I didn’t, but, I am a strong swimmer… even though I never wore speedos).

Anyway, the fact that most Taiwanese people do not know how to swim was one of the things I considered an oddity when I first came here. I find it annoyingly amusing that so many Taiwanese now want to explain “swimming” and proper swimwear to me. :unamused:

not according to some lifeguards out here. it took that and pointing out that the suit was made by “speedo” (the same as his grape-smugglers) before he let up. when he tried to start it up again, i politely mentioned (in chinese) that we don’t all feel the need to show off our package in the pool. he went away after that …

the worst thing about those things is people try to buy the smallest one they (believe they) can fit in. :eh:

This only happened to me once, maybe five years ago when I was at a friend’s apartment complex pool in Xinzhuang. I was wearing proper trunks and some 60 year old ojisan lifeguard was telling me I had to wear a banana hammock. I ignored him. He kept shouting at me, and I told him if he were serious he should call the police, because I wasn’t going to pay any attention to him. He fumed, but didn’t and I kept enjoying the pool.

Slightly off topic and I think I might have told the story before. Sorry if I did.

I was in the swimming pool at “The Chateau” hotel in Kenting swimming. I wasn’t wearing a swimming cap because I had just shaved my head really close.

The lifeguard came up to me and insisted that I put one on. I said to him “But I have no hair. The reason for wearing a cap is so your hair doesn’t fall out and dirty up the pool.”

“Please put one on. That’s the rule he replied”

:raspberry: