Speedos

I guess every major pools here go by this certain rules,

you can try to show them the inside mesh liner that cowboy mentioned though.

At least convincing them its made for swimming, so it wont be any concern for

safety reason.

What possible danger could be posed by regular swimming trunks?

Again, I find it annoyingly amusing that a population that drives automobiles and motorbikes with a complete disregard for common and obvious notions of safety can be so compulsively worried about “the danger” posed by normal swimming attire.

I swam on a team for many years, so wearing speedos is second nature to me (though I stopped when I stopped team swimming.) A good (and real) excuse for wearing “baggies” is that they provide drag, thus increasing the quality of the workout.

That must be a Taiwanese variation on the theme, they’re strictly budgie smugglers in Australia and apparently “steamed prawn dumplings” in China.

HG

Hmmm, strange. I have been to 3 different pools in Taipei. One was a huge sports center with an indoor and outdoor pool and spa type pool. I always were trunks, never tried the grape huggers and dont really care to. I dont have a swimmers body and feel more comfortable in the trunks. Anyways, I have never been denied entrance to any of those pools because I’m not in proper attire. I do adorn the swim cap and goggles though.

The last time I went, I was with two taiwanese guy friends. They both wore trunks too. No complaints from the life guards or pool staff.

If you are being denied entrance, I would seriously check out a different pool. That is just wacko.

Hmm, curious, I thought given the recent airing of a certain intimate concern, you’d be more a banana hammock or budgie than grape smuggler, Derek.

HG

[quote=“Lo Bo To”]Slightly off topic and I think I might have told the story before. Sorry if I did.

I was in the swimming pool at “The Chateau” hotel in Kending swimming. I wasn’t wearing a swimming cap because I had just shaved my head really close.

The lifeguard came up to me and insisted that I put one on. I said to him “But I have no hair. The reason for wearing a cap is so your hair doesn’t fall out and dirty up the pool.”

“Please put one on. That’s the rule he replied”

:raspberry:[/quote]

This same exact thing happened to a friend of mine here who shaves his head too, at a hot springs resort. They insisted that he put one on because “it is a rule.” He has a lot of chest hair and no hair on his head, but he must wear a swim cap… :laughing: :loco:

Has anyone else noticed that the only rules the Taiwanese ever follow are in the spas or swimming pools?

Same thing happened to me too. Last time I went swimming in my company’s pool, the lifeguard politely asked me to “put on proper swim wear or you can’t enter.” I politely showed him the Speedo logo on my baggies (I even let him feel the material). He reluctantly let me into the pool.

When I got out of the pool and was heading into the changing room, he caught up with me and told me that after some consideration, he’d suggest I get some “proper” swim wear or I might not be allowed into the pool anymore. Well, I guess I’ll have to try my luck again next time I decide to swim again…

What possible danger could be posed by regular swimming trunks?

Again, I find it annoyingly amusing that a population that drives automobiles and motorbikes with a complete disregard for common and obvious notions of safety can be so compulsively worried about “the danger” posed by normal swimming attire.[/quote]
Maybe they were concerned your trunk would fell to the bottom of pool and stuck there.

Its a dangerous scenerio while draining out the pool.

[quote=“Tigerman”]What possible danger could be posed by regular swimming trunks?

Again, I find it annoyingly amusing that a population that drives automobiles and motorbikes with a complete disregard for common and obvious notions of safety can be so compulsively worried about “the danger” posed by normal swimming attire.[/quote]

[quote=“SDPhatcat”]Maybe they were concerned your trunk would fell to the bottom of pool and stuck there.

Its a dangerous scenerio while draining out the pool.[/quote]

Are you joking?

I think this is all the evidence we need of the dangers in allowed men of any shape or size to prance around in a “European Bathing Suit”:

But would a pair of long shorts really help?

HG

The picture is of a man wearing more material than that which I typically see here.

Yes, if they are baggy. :sunglasses:

No, I have to diasagree. I think men wearing three-quarter length shorts for swimming look childish. The sluggers will again have their time in the sun! Codpieces too! In fact . . .

HG

[quote=“Tomas”]I think this is all the evidence we need of the dangers in allowed men of any shape or size to prance around in a “European Bathing Suit”:

[/quote]
Jeez Tomas, you just have no shame, do you? That’s mighty brave of you!

More like this.
Or This

Again, there’s not much a three quarter pair of wet dangly shorts is going to do there SAF. In fact, I’d suggest they’d make those chaps look even more ridiculous. Long shorts down to the calf, especially when accompanied by big T-shirts, make men look like distorted children at best, or pygmies, ie, they look like there’s some kind of problem in their long bones. The very worst is the current Australian fad for father ansd son to dress in the same stupidly and miserably long bright shorts and intensely bright “sun-shirts” - why don;t women tell them how stupid they look? Is it an emasculating device?

Strangely I can’t seem to find a pic to illustrate my argument.

Close but no booby, as it were:

Now imagine a ride father and son walking the beach in their matching sun gear . . . add a stupid looking hat for good measure . . .

. . . and mumsey oughtta be strung up for allowing it.

I’ll admit it, I was a competitive swimmer and life saver so I was very accustomed to sluggos . . . even adopting the boaties’ tuck (crikey, I can’t even find a pic of such an iconic adoption! (basically tucking your speedos up yer crack so you don’t sandpaper your arse off while rowing a surf boat). But I was also a surfer and a board short wearer. Still, on a fat man, sluggos are the path of least harm.

HG

It isn’t a matter of making them look better. There are just certain men (most men, actually) whose goods I don’t want to look at. I think I should have a choice as to whether or not I know how large his package is… (or at least have a choice to not)
Call me old fashioned.

Damned packagists! You don’t really have to look you know?

HG