Spell check - Grammar check - phooey!

First, when texting, I’m getting a little tired of my damned iPhone thinking it’s smarter than me and changing perfectly good words into nonsense. I’ll try to type “artichoke” and it will change it to “arthrograble.” I’ll input “pangolin” and it will transform it to “petrolink.” WTF is up with that?

And, just now I was typing in Outlook asking someone to “please advise us” and the damned thing keeps telling me to spell it “please advice us.”

I don’t know if machines will take over the world some day, or not, but if they do I foresee terrible problems.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]First, when texting, I’m getting a little tired of my damned iPhone thinking it’s smarter than me and changing perfectly good words into nonsense. I’ll try to type “artichoke” and it will change it to “arthrograble.” I’ll input “pangolin” and it will transform it to “petrolink.” WTF is up with that?

And, just now I was typing in Outlook asking someone to “please advise us” and the damned thing keeps telling me to spell it “please advice us.”

I don’t know if machines will take over the world some day, or not, but if they do I foresee terrible problems.[/quote]

Fragment (consider revising).

Fervent (calamari rising).

future (California residing)

Perhaps the problem is that your iPhone is damned.

Can’t remember the last time I used the words “artichoke” and “pangolin” in an iPhone message.

A lot o’ people have turkey or ham for Christmas dinner. :neutral:

You really do miss Castroville, don’t ya?

Last time I was writing text (you younguns call that texting now? :loco:) on a paper pad, with a pencil, it didn’t try to change anything on me. You shouldn’t try to write things on the telephone anyway, y’know. Mom will just have to clean it later.

Hey Grampa, you forgot to tell 'em how easy it is to make their OWN iPhone. :wink:

About half the time, Word gets it wrong. Most people know this.

The Taiwanese don’t seem to know this, however. I actually have to use Word’s commenting function to inform my clients that even though Word greenlined a section of text, it’s actually grammatical. If I don’t do this, they’ll generally change it and mess everything up.

Maybe the autocorrect function and Word’s spell and grammar checkers were written by Taiwanese? To misappropriate my former supervisor: Please don’t give the programmers of these spell checkers the clap.

I get the same thing when I receive messages. For instance, she’ll write “I’d love to,” but it comes out as “Get lost, loser!” Almost every time!

You’ve got it all wrong. You want it in English, but the iPhone and Outlook are smart enough to know that this is Taiwan and thus it should be in Chinglish. :slight_smile:

So it’s not just me.

No. Other girls say that to me too.

Other GIRLS?

I’m sure he means wimmin’. Don’t go getting all PC on us, now.

Come on! When did I ever give you the impression you were the only one?

It’s made in China, right?

English with Chinese characteristics.

Does anyone have MT’s phone nr? I want to send him a text asking him where the pangolin put my artichokes.