Spinal Tap to reform!

[quote]Wed Apr 25, 5:01 PM

NEW YORK (AFP) - Fans of the cult mockumentary “This is Spinal Tap” are in for a treat.

The clueless heavy rockers, described in the 1984 spoof as “one of England’s loudest bands,” are back, describing in a short film to raise awareness about climate change what they’ve been doing for the past 20-odd years.

Lead guitarists Nigel Tufnel and David St. Hubbins are also due to make an appearance with bassist Derek Smalls at Wembley Stadium in London on July 7 as part of the global Live Earth concerts in aid of tackling climate change.

Director Rob Reiner, who played documentary maker Marty DiBergi in the movie, told reporters in New York Wednesday he had been asked to resurrect the band behind such classics as “Stonehenge,” “Sex Farm” and “Hell Hole.”

“I was asked… if I could contact Marty DiBergi,” he said. “We filmmakers have a bond, we stick together.”

In the short movie, Reiner appears dressed as he was in the opening sequence of the original film, saying: “I’m here today to talk about something even more important than me or extremely loud music.”

The short goes on to interview the three main band members, played by Christopher Guest, Michael McKean and Harry Shearer, about what the band has been doing for the last two decades.

The short is one of a series being presented at New York’s Tribeca Film Festival to raise awareness about global warming.

“Tribeca’s really setting itself apart by allowing film makers to present an issue and use it as a platform,” Reiner said.

The short film is due to posted at liveearth.msn.com, he added.[/quote]

Smell the Glove will not be disappointed. The video is great! Fo shizzle!

Article link
Video link

Brilliant! Big thanks there, Joséfus…

The band members have of course been doing stuff off and on since the film. In fact, at about 6 minutes into this YouTube clip, Mark Kermode awards his first annual 2007 Honorary Award for Services to Movies Which I Really Like From Someone Who Has Been Grossly and Negligently Overlooked by the Nitwits at the Academy to … Christopher Guest … who briefly breaks into Nigel. And this is probably my favorite VW First Act ad.

A little blast from the past…
Gimme Some Money
(Listen to the) Flower People
Big Bottom featuring David Gilmour of Pink Floyd - on bass like everyone else
Smell the Glove, at long last
Trilogy in D Minor