Sports Bar crowd (impromptu Happy Hour replacement place)

Hi,

Just want to thank the small crowd of people who I met at the Taipei Sports Bar last night. I’m new to the area and it was nice to talk to some “furriners” who weren’t trying hard to avert their eyes in passing :wink:

Thanks for being willing to answer my dumb “new guy” questions.

See you next Happy Hour.

Tom

Hi. I just wanted to add some comments on the “Hey, I can’t believe I saw Fred Smith do…” plan that several of us, including FS decided on:

Things I saw and heard:

Fred, the ‘sit-down’ guy.

Fred, put that business card in your pocket… NO. the other one, the one that actually exists.

Fred on either his seventh or eighth glass of wine, and more, and being very entertaining.

Fred, admitting to being a born-again peanut farming Carter-loving Democrat :wink:

Fred: When I was at Cambridge…
Ironlady: [cuts in] for two weeks.

Other things:
Maoman’s dog threw up on the floor. cute dog though. Is Maoman’s wife old enough to be in a bar??
Alleycat seems to know a lot more about life, the world and world history after he’s had too many jack/rum and cokes… in fact, he seems terribly knowledgable and much more affectionate too, at least with FS.
:astonished:

All in all great fun, good to see old friends and meet new people like Traveller, Tetsuo, etc.

Thanks to Ray, the owner.

Yes, excellent venue and great service/food too (well, Doritos as a base for nachos isn’t really kosher, but I suppose we have to make allowances – guys, find some real corn chips without cheesy powder all over 'em, OK? :smiley: )

GM of Carnegies also handled things with class (UNLIKE other local establishments I could mention – won’t say the name but hte initials are Saints and Sinners — doh! :astonished: ) stood us a round which he really didn’t have to do, and personally came over and hung out for about 30 min. to apologize for the problem.

Anybody for a Carnegies Formuosa lunch some day?

Agreed, a very pleasant evening, and a pleasure to meet quite a number of new people.

The TS did itself proud as the impromptu host, and as ironlady said, TpeBob acquited himself very well. Professionalism will always shine through in the face of adversity.

roll on the next one.

JB, i think Maoman’s wife is only just old enough :laughing: :laughing:

What was the deal last night? I went to Carnegies, and saw Ironlady, Maoman and some other folks and by the time I got my beer they were all gone.

Me me me. I don’t do happy hours these days.

Geez, I missed it ! :fume:

Hopefully it cycles through there again. Meet up with you folks soon. Still “out of town” on my visa jump. Be back soon though.

Cheers,

Jack, if you or anyone else feels even remotely uncomfortable with Vanessa in the room, they have only to tell me, and I will send her back to the car. In the evenings, with the windows opened , the back seat isn’t any worse than her crate at home. So far though, noone’s complained - Vanessa seems to bring smiles wherever she goes. :wink:

Yes, my bitterness at not being able to dance on the bar with strag at Carnegies in our (individually purchased) tear-away thongs was ameliorated by the excellent service and friendly environment at the Taipei Sports Bar.

Jack, if you or anyone else feels even remotely uncomfortable with Vanessa in the room, they have only to tell me, and I will send her back to the car. In the evenings, with the windows opened , the back seat isn’t any worse than her crate at home. So far though, noone’s complained - Vanessa seems to bring smiles wherever she goes. :wink:[/quote]

Is her crate the same size as Gustav’s? Or is it a two-room crate deal?

I guess Vanessa was okay, just as long as she didn’t spew anything green from her mouth.

I drove up from Yangmei, walked in the door and realized rather stupidly that I wouldn’t recognize another forumosan if he/she fell on my head. Think I got there too late…11pm or so, and the gang was gone. First time to Carnagies, strange vibe for a Sports bar.

Just one question; Where there any forumosans left at 11pm? Turned out to be a long drive for nothing… :unamused:

Maybe next month…

Jack Burton wrote:

I believe Tigerman would say that if you can see over the bar, you’re old enough.

[quote=“Michael J Botti”]I drove up from Yangmei, walked in the door and realized rather stupidly that I wouldn’t recognize another forumosan if he/she fell on my head. Think I got there too late…11pm or so, and the gang was gone. First time to Carnagies, strange vibe for a Sports bar.

Just one question; Where there any forumosans left at 11pm? Turned out to be a long drive for nothing… :unamused:

Maybe next month…[/quote]
I’m SO sorry. :blush: I’m going to PM you my cell phone number - next time, you can call me directly.

And now for the third time–why did the forumosans leave? Why weren’t other forumosans told people were going to another venue, especially since we were right there?

I’m so sorry - I didn’t have your number. I did text a lot of members, but of course I don’t have everyone’s number. The reason we left is that Carnegie’s was not able to accomodate us. We had no seating set aside, and ordering drinks was an impossibility. The only food available was for all the AMcham and othercham people, so we decided to cut our losses, and head for Taipei Sports, which was only a hop, skip and a jump away. I’m PM’ing you my cell phone number so that this won’t happen (at least to you) again. Again, please accept my apologies.

braxtonhicks and ironlady, I’d be happy to join the ladies for a lunch at Carnegies too. Count me in.

And me. If you do weekends :s

I was impressed by the chicken quesadilla I had. Better than anything I’ve had here in Taiwan (including Chili’s) and the service was nice. Grrr…amcham & co. A bar of stuffed shirts…too much like an oriented.org thing. The only time I want to see that many cards pass hands is during a massive game of Old Maid.

Carnegie’s has a nice Sunday brunch, I’ve heard. (I don’t think it’s the American buffet-style sort, though.)

I looked for you Flicka, but couldn’t find you.

Brian