Sports Quotes

I’ve been reading some famous and infamous sports quotes on the BBC website. Some hilarious stuff there. Instead of you lot having to wade through the link, I’ll spoil you with some of the best ones. Please add more.

“If Bill Shankly was alive, he’d be turning in his grave.”
-Harry, a caller to the BBC’s 606 phone-in programme, after Liverpool’s FA cup defeat by Burnley.

“He must be amphibious.”
-Mark James at The Open, after Sergio Garcia threw a ball to a person in the crowd with his left hand.

“Some players have psychologists, some have sportologists - I smoke.”
-US Open winner Angel Cabrera.

“I swear on my mother’s life. My late mother’s life.”
Alex Higgens

“Up front we played like world beaters. At the back it was more like panel-beaters.”
-Paul Jewell on a 3-3 draw with Spurs.

some good ones here too

footballsite.co.uk/Statistic … alls01.htm

They became known as “Colemanballs” due to stupid commentator David Coleman coming out with ridiculous stuff live on air.

e.g.
“If Glenn Hoddle said one word to his team at half-time, it was concentration and focus.”
Ron Atkinson

“Well I’m the prince and I’m sort of slaying the dragon - which is something I’ve never done before, obviously.”
-David Beckham on his role in Disney’s Dream Portrait ads.

“We scored three today and 99 times out of 10 that means a win.”
-Brighton assistant manager Dean White.

“Before (this innings) there was a lot of speculation about me being originally from South Africa…”
-Kevin Pieterson slightly confused about his roots.

“I think it’s fair to say we’re an improving team and a team that’s getting better.”
-Everton skipper Phil Neville.

“Over the years whilst fielding at first slip, Dravid almost seems to have developed an ability to stick Kumble’s balls to his hand.”
-ABC cricket commentator during Australia-India series.

"I haven’t seen a Madrid side this bad since I managed them.’
-John Toshack

“Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.”
-Brian O’Driscoll on his relationship with Martin Johnson.

youtube.com/watch?v=QuN-nl_v2BE

Let me beat zender to it with the most famous American Mr. Malapropism, Lawrence “Yogi” Berra, the 52nd best non-pitching baseball player ever according to sabermetrics.

“90% of the game is half mental.”

“When you come to a fork in the road, take it.”

“It’s déjà vu all over again”

“You can observe a lot by watching.”

“Always go to other people’s funerals, otherwise they won’t go to yours.”

And…

“I really didn’t say everything I said.”

[quote=“flike”]Lawrence “Yogi” Berra[/quote] :roflmao: :bravo:

Whoo hoo! :roflmao:

“In the rear, the small diminutive figure of Shoaib Mohammed, who can’t be much taller or shorter than he is. It’s a catch he would have taken 99 times out of 1000.”
-Henry Blofeld

“Who are your favorite actors?”
“Dustin Hoffman and some Aussie bowlers in the act of appealing.”
-Darryl Cullinan

“On the first day, Logie decided to chance his arm and it came off.”
-Trevor Bailey

Q: Do you think that the selectors and yourself have been vindicated by the result?
A: I don’t think the press are vindictive. They can write what they want.

• Mike Gatting

“It was very close for Zaheer. Lawson threw his hands in the air and Marsh threw his head in the air.”

• Jack Potter

“That black cloud is coming from the direction the wind is blowing, now the wind is coming from where the black cloud is.”

• Ray Illingworth