🏟 Sports Venues | Taipei Dome

The now cleaned up Taipei Circle park (with a nice Louisa Coffee overlooking it) is the best version I’ve seen.

Guy

That area is reserved for the Twin Towers, which are another joke.

1 Like

. . . interestingly, also tied directly to Mayor Ma!

I wonder if we’re seeing a trend here. :thinking:

Guy

1 Like

If Wayne gets elected, the trend will continue. :fearful:

I’m not a current fan of Mayor Ko, but at least he took the keys away from those guys for eight years.

Guy

1 Like

That’s juggling.

2 Likes

I’d vote for Batman.

If I can vote in Taipei, I’d vote for a guy who would make those Japanese era traffic circles back into real functional traffic circles, without all the traffic lights, and have a maximum of just 2 lanes. All the cars entering the circle can only enter the circle without causing cars in the circle to slow down, and the scooters would have to ride in the middle of the lane like every other motor vehicles.

1 Like

I’d make Renai and Xinyi two-direction roads again. Whoever had that brilliant idea should be fired posthumously.

1 Like

There’s certainly sufficient space for your plan to work. Those are enormous boulevards.

Guy

They are a mixed bag, some parts one way, other parts two way.

To be fair to the government, there have been lots of evaluations and changes over the years. It’s been complicated. After watching this video, I remember many other roads having been one-way traffic before, like Bade, Chang’an etc.

1 Like

I’d rather see almost every road be one-way and no left turns without special lanes.

2 Likes

And the mrts, trains, roads, water supplies, power generation facilities etc.

And people still dont understand why many are worried about nuclear safety in Taiwan lol. I trust the government here about as much as a drunken homeless man given project money.

1 Like
1 Like

Like I have mentioned in the Korean Halloween tragedy thread, that Itaewon crowd crush accident has reignited the debate on the Taipei dome safety issue. The main points of concerns are, one, the lack of outdoor space for evacuated people to move out of the route of escape as well as for emergency service to use as a staging area, two, underground tunnels serve as the only way of escape, three, tunnels are way too narrow, and finally, parts of the tunnels were planned to serve as stores.

Supporters of Mayor Ko and Farglory now claim that the previous Taipei Urban Planning Director, Lin Zhou-ming, was wrong when he required Farglory to turn off the setting that assumes the evacuees are familiar with the escape route and the surroundings for the disaster evacuation simulation.

Lin, who has a master’s degree for urban planning from Columbia University, represented Ko’s mayoral office at the time, but Ko has since fired Lin in order to let the project continue without requiring FarGlory to make additional changes.

The supporters of Ko and Farglory claim that the setting is actually configures unfamiliarity and by leaving that setting on it is already simulating the evacuees being unfamiliar with how to escape the dome. As a result, they claim that all the subsequent safety requirements and inspections are ridiculous attempts by the DPP government to stall the dome’s opening.

See this post for detailed discussions on the disaster evacuation simulation.

I’m no expert on the subject of course, however, if the settings work as Ko supporters claim, then I don’t see why FarGlory couldn’t have just indulged Lin and re-run the simulation on a setting that’s supposedly much more favorable to them. I mean that was almost 4 years ago. Surely if all they wanted is for things to move ahead, they could have changed one configuration and shown off Lin with an even better result. It’s not as if it’s a money problem. I doubt running the simulation would be more expensive then letting the project sit idle for 4 more years.

5 Likes

That dome is a disgrace.

Let it not also be a site of tragedy.

Guy

9 Likes

If you bring 40,000 people into the busiest street in the whole country, the main artery that connects cbd/ local government and shopping areas on a week night for a Jay Chou concert, you are going to have a complete shit show

1 Like

Is there any venue where it’s not a shit show when you bring in a shitton of people?

And Jay Chou still gathers those kinds of crowds too, for multiple nights.

1 Like